Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why from 6 to 4 cell????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Default why from 6 to 4 cell????

I have been wondering this for the past week...why did oval(most of the classes) and 1/12 scale move down to 4 cell batteries??? where they just to powerful or what??? if someone knows or has a guess on wether they stoped the 6 cells, please post im curious
Old 02-20-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

The biggest reason for the move was TOO MUCH SPEED!!!!

The advancement of the motors, batteries and chassis over the last 10 years gave us tons of speed. In many cases this speed was too much to handle for beginning racers. 6 cell stock is close to what 6 cell modified was about 10 years ago.

4 cell is also cheaper. 2 fewer cells to purchase per pack. Less weight, so crashes tend to be less destructive.

From what I have seen, this is probably one of the smartest moves made in R/C.

Jeff Gilligan
Old 02-20-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder when touring cars will go 4 cells?
Old 02-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Never, the chassis weigh too much.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

On the big oval tracks like velodromes the 6 cell mod cars reached 6o to 65 mph. 6 cell stock went at least 50 mph. When a 6 mod oval car crashed people ask how many pieces the chassis was in. With 4 cell we are still going fast but not as fast, the racing is closer. Setup is more important than it was with 6 cell (you have to pay more attention to detail with four cell cars to make them more effenicent(sp)).
Old 02-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ling I hear it is coming as a test thing at some of the upcoming races
Old 02-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

To much tyre wear as well
Old 02-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Yokomo has a new car call MINI. It is 1/12 scale touring which uses 4 cells.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

sounds cool, but i hope it doesn't get take the popularity from 1/12 pan cars(if it is a big hit) isn't that sorta how 1/10 pan cars lost popularity...i have heard maany complaints about bodies...anyone have something to share
Old 02-22-2003, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

We, the 1/10th Pan Car guys, have discussed this at length (our thread isn't here, strangely enough. We got stuck in the Oval and Larger Scales forum) and we think it was a lack of profitability for the manufacturers that has hurt us - basically, Pro10 cars just don't break parts like sedans do. . . Because of that they don't market the Pro10 cars like they used to and they don't promote them to the national sanctioning bodies.

We've found our bodies, though. Protoform is making some, sporadically, and Hot Bodies has a good one.

BTW, aren't the minis (like the Tamiya and the discontinued HPI) 1/12th scale?

But, personally, I don't know why 1/12th went to 4 cell. I think it may have been to limit speed or runtime (still running 8 min heats so you either gear to go fast or you gear to finish. . .) but that's just my surmising.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

well, i have spoken 2 a corally team driver, that has been doing 12th longer than he can remember, and he said this:

"with 6 cells, we had just got everything right, we could gear our motors right, our batteries lasted and everything was gr8, but that ment that we could lay down alot more power, and so rear grip was lost, the love to 4 cell promoted closer racing and concentrated more on driver skill to last the 8 mins, as opoosed to kainin the s**t out of the car for 4 mins, and having no raer grip"

If you ask me 4 cell is alot better, you dont have too much initial punch to scare yourself, and it meens that it promotes more smoother, tighter lines with more corner speed (lighter) and makes you drive like a pro.
then when you switch back to your t/c in the summer, you drive alot better, and you dont need the best batteries to make you fast, (altho it helps! lol)

just my 2 pence
matt
Old 02-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

another factor is power/weight ratio.
at 7.2V ..motors are pulling something like 0.6bhp.(max)
multiply by 1000(for 1/10th) scale ..comes to 600bhp for a real car.
much like what racing touring cars like JGTCC are running.
then power to weight is slightly less than those cars.
what i would like to see(excuse the wandering off) is a gearing system that would utilise the power more efficiently than just a single gear.only this way can a car have great acceleration AND top speed.but this is not possible yet of course.