Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to expand RC? Ideas wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I know that prices is the major problem, and local hobby shops dont always help their own cause.
Mags are nice, in that they relay new items to the eyes of candy hungry racers nationwide, but they do nothing to bolster local racing, and help it grow by waving the little guys banner.
I realize its harder to make money this way, as its the larger shops, and racers that people care to read about, but every once in a while its nice to see your own name in a mag for something that youve done.
Plus, not all of us live in cities with millions of people, I personally live in a city of 350,000, buts its the most conservative city in Canada, so tryin to get someone to part with 1k for a car set up is like pullin teeth.
Our local hobby shop is only concerned with short term racing, and doesnt really car to build something worth while, like in Toronto, where i raced last year.
Not only the price of the car, but the price of time on everyone's part is also a major factor on how well a local racing community will do. Organization, and a good set of rules, with entry level classes, like a spec TL01 class, with prizes for most realistic body, or something like are good for spectators, and its a cheap way to get in the hobby.
Slotcars have the same problem....its not a spectator hobby for the most part, and it takes vast amouts of capital to race the little buggers.
The one problem I see is that we are so concerned with What racer finished where with what car, that we spend too much time buying crap that might not work for us, or is of no use, other than its shiny and costs more than the oem part.
More entry level racing is needed, with cars that are painted to look real, nitro or battery, it doesnt matter, people wanna see cars that they watch on TV, and that will get them a little more interested.
I dunno, just my .02 worth.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

have one or two cheap used cars with a basic set up and charge the people some money if they want to try and see if they like it. there about aleast 10 people that come out and watch at our track every week.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

rental cars, not a bad idea, ive seen it before, make sure they are cars with very cheap replacement parts however, not everyone knows about throttle modulation, and not everyone thinks racing is the coolest part of this hobby.
I know from all the spectators at PLRC, that the crashes are what a lot of people like to see
Old 02-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Amazing how much in common we all have when it comes to noticing the problem!! We all share these same situations. By way of threads like this we can recognise them and try and share some cures.
I firmly believe that the Tamiya challenge and HPI challenge are the best venues we have to promote this sport . Yes I am a Tamiya fan but the real reason i started using their products was because i liked the Challenge series concept. As a family man, I'm thrilled that I can outfit my wife with a basic car and watch her race it against people with cars of the same performance level. That level of car is easy to sell, easy to promote and easily shows it's value as compared to a Radio Shack or Toy's R Us item. I use the Tamiya and HPI programs only as an example. The same concept can be adapted using any manufacturers car. The key is STANDARDIZATION. Outline the limits for each class. Force it to be as affordable as possible and then SELL the idea. Let's face it, if we established racers talk smack about novice level racing or make fun of a TL01 with a 540 in it, then we can't expect most people to enter the sport at that level.Peer pressure will force them to try and buy something "faster" and that means more expense. Then they get frustrated and angry.Then they leave. Pitch the idea of "entry class" racing in your area and in your club. Then use your knowledge to create better drivers and, more importantly, drivers who will stay in the sport and help support it.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

I agree, I do like the thoughts of entry level stuff, and I have a good time watching racing like that, as I have only been back into RC racing for a year or so, i have not witnessed too much, but I have in slotracing, where I was a competetor in many classes, some of which make 8th scale nitro look slow, and ill tell you, the best classes were the ones that cost 30bucks to build a car.
Like Slots though, rc's biggest problem is the aftermarket. no matter what car you buy, unless you pay more for the car you gotta have shipped in from Japan, you have to get aftermarket parts...or feel you have to in order to be competetive.
I think its a sad place, where you seemingly cant buy a car kit and go out and race with it, and maybe have some parts left over....like from a lego set..the scratch your head thinking where the hell did these go.
It just seems like the big companies are more concerned with giving the bare minimum, rather than a full blown race kit.
I understand that they have to make money as well, and spend lots of money developing these little toys, but we spend lots of money buying them, and the parts you have to buy afterwards to make it a competetive car.
Id just like to see more participation from the manufacturers. Waving a banner, and giving some parts is more than enough. I mean, do you know what it means to a local racer to think that there is a major sponsor of the race he is running in, and the off chance he might take home some swag. The big national events give away cool prizes...so ive been told, but these guys dont need this stuff and instead of giving away a top end digital radio to a guy that already has a couple, maybe give a way 3 or 4 lower end models to winners of a series, or something like that. It would mean more to a guy that wins a lower model, than a pro that wins a model he already races with.
I just think local racing needs more support from bigger manu's cause without local racing.....who is gonna care how your factory team did, and what products they are whoring this week?
Make the little guy happy, give away a few prizes and I believe that would make racing a whole lot better.
Races just seem cooler when they have a "sponsor" behind it, even if its just giving away a few gallons of gas, it makes it more worth while.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default How to expand RC? Ideas wanted

Guys;

I live in Southern California and I am about 15 minutes from the California Speedway. My buddies at the 2 LHS's have told me many times that a lot of the Nascar guys play around with R/C's during their spare time and stop in for parts. Wouldn't it be great to have some of the big name Nascar drivers in a TV interview and showing them racing their R/C's. Average Joe would see them and want to know more, I'm sure.

Fastburn;

What you described is basicly how the Hobby People races out here are set-up. Lots of Newbies, and a Drivers Raffle with lots of prizes.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

, rc's biggest problem is the aftermarket. no matter what car you buy, unless you pay more for the car you gotta have shipped in from Japan, you have to get aftermarket parts...or feel you have to in order to be competetive.
Oh my gosh...I have to agree with you because I always face this problem. A racer came to my pit while some racing was going on adn he wanted to get into the racing scene. One of the first things that he said was, "I notice that the shop didn't have that much stuff..." This guy came from another country (never really asked where), but he was obviously referring to aftermarket parts. Then I showed him my kit and said, "my race car has around 5 hop-ups and some other tuning parts, but that's it." I get in the A main with it, while guys with cars that could cost twice as much as mine don't. Sure Hawaii doesn't have racers like So Cal, but I sometimes wonder why some people get stuck on the idea of aftermarket parts being better.

I think that this idea that you need tons of 'race-quality' parts to be competetive comes to people (especially the teenager with their first rc car) comes from the magazines. They show sections that tell what you need for racing, and have projects that are the 'ultimate race setup' which cost thousands. When these guys come around, and I ask "what kind of a car do you have?" then they sheepishly admit that they have no hopups on their
'X-brand' race car. Since these guys haven't seen a race before, all they can rely on are the info from mags which show only shots these 'project cars' and the sponsored racers' cars. They don't realize that all they need is tires and some simple suspension tweaks.

I have only talked about racing, but if this guy that wanted to race, but thought he couldn't because he thought he needed to spend 500 more dollars to really race, then maybe his rc dream has been snuffed and can't share his experiences about rc with his friends. I think spec classes are the best way to let these guys in on the racing fun.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

I live in Southern California and I am about 15 minutes from the California Speedway. My buddies at the 2 LHS's have told me many times that a lot of the Nascar guys play around with R/C's during their spare time and stop in for parts. Wouldn't it be great to have some of the big name Nascar drivers in a TV interview and showing them racing their R/C's. Average Joe would see them and want to know more, I'm sure.
Maybe someone could try to push the networks to show a little set about Nascar guys that run RC while the race is under a yellow flag, or during those times when they show interviews? I think that would be a good way to integrate rc into a full scale tv production.

Rc Car Action showed that HPI had a little rc thing going on during one of the NASCAR races. Maybe the big guys could push for something like that.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Popsracer and others are hitting on the right kind of ideas for exposure. Problem is.....WHO is going to make these contacts and arrangements. Lets face it, Joe Smith is not going to get a chance to talk with the people who can make these things happen. ROAR, NORRCA or the RCPG(rc promotions group...i made it up) are the ones who will get their foot in the door. So WE have a choice.....ask our existing two organisations to use some of our membership money for promotions OR create something like the RCPG. Would we be willing to pay into ANOTHER org. or see if the ones we already have can do the job. If not ,then why not? Ultimately we're going to have to foot at least some of the bill with sponsors helping with most of it. Any thoughts ??
Old 02-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Being involved with another sport that was not well know, I can tell you the biggest way to promote the sport is for the sanctioning factor to market. If organizations such as roar would do the marketing, you will see a big improvement. The problems with individual clubs is that they will only have regional notice. An Hobbytown is doing what they can. I believe that they sponsor a show on the DIY network.

Also, corp. sponsorship. Not just hobby companies. I fyou can get a big corporate sponsor, with a big name behind this sport. you will see added intrest.

The biggest thing that happens for us was tv coverage.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:13 AM
Regional Moderator

the show on DIY is why I decided to get into RC sedans. Shane, maybe you could contact DIY about getting a list of web sites added to the show and on their site as well as reciprocal links
Old 02-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

I have been in several small hobbies myself, as a slotracer though I was on TV more than an RC racer. It seemed there was more coverage up here of that, while RC racing has more attendants, and is a bit bigger and easier to follow.
Anyways, yes, its up to the major sanctioning bodies to advertise, but thats only good for getting our message out there, Local clubs have to do their part to let people know where they can race. We currently are trying to work with one of the local car clubs to get a small race going at one of their show and shines this summer, and with all the race tracks that are close, im sure that one or two people could be picked up. We have done local fairs and are going to see whatelse we can do to further the hobby here in town.
Its difficult when the only support you have though is from the club, and not any organization at all, or hobby shop.
This is what we deal with, we are just lucky that we all love the hobby. I will admit, I am not the biggest supporter of our club, as there have been political issues...(give a guy a title and he thinks he's god)...so I keep to the outside of the group, but I am well liked and respected enough in my local group that I always have an ear for my opinions.
No one else is going to do this for you, call local cable companies, any company that has something to do with racing, and maybe they will throw in some cash, any company where the owner is a race fan, its amazing how these guys will throw you money, supplies and support for just putting up a banner with their company name on it.
We have a small group of racers here in town, and unfortunatly, everyone wants to race something different so our numbers for each class are pretty low, but we managed to have a guy offer money to make our offroad, and onroad track top notch, and this guy owned a bed company. So, its true, all you need is a race fan that likes to support people, and you can get some help.
If you call, whats the worst thing that could happen, they could say no.....OR, they might say yes and then where would you be? one step ahead of where you were before you made the call.