Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric? >

Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric?

Foams are run in nitro on asphalt, they grip much better in hot days and in my experience, generally have more bite than rubber. So, why isnt it allowed?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

We ran foams all summer long and could get two race weekends out of a set.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Foams are run in nitro on asphalt, they grip much better in hot days and in my experience, generally have more bite than rubber. So, why isnt it allowed?
You found outdoor electric in NY???
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

we run foams on our electric cars on our outdoor asphalt track.... sticks like glue....
Old 11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can run nitro foam tires on an electric car in the summer if you want. We did this a couple summers ago and it worked out well.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
You found outdoor electric in NY???
I was acutally making reference to all of the major ROAR events. When I run electric, I run with nitro cats because I like the long heats. But this is local stuff at Ebbets field in Brooklyn. But, for IMFAR, ROAR and all of these other sanctioned events, they always show rubber rubber rubber and then you read about guys complaining about the lack of grip.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

we ran foams on the 1/8 Scale Racers of Toledo track. they worked well b/c the track was in the open, and heated up WAY to much for rubber tires. i blistered rubber (RP 36) in about 2-3 mins. the foams were more consistent

-Zac
Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Gas cars run Foam tires.....why not electric?

I think this would be the best thing for the US market that could be done. Its a lot cheaper as rubber tires are ususally only good for a coulpe of runs and then they lose .2-.5 a lap depending on track and tire selection. Foam tires DO Chunk...that is one of the downsides of them on carpet. But the harder compounds you would use on Asphalt are a little more durable.

It would hurt the small amount of guys that travel out side of the US for races (Pro drivers) though. It will never happen as there are too many guys who like racing rubber tires in the US.

EA
Old 11-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

id be for a push for roar to allow foam asphalt racing, not just club races, but the nats and regional races to.
i agree w/ eric. foams are faster, more consistent; traction doesnt flucuate during a run b/c the sun goes down/ moves behind a cloud.

-Zac
Old 11-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I too wouldnt mind foams in electric touring outdoors. Funny we just spoke of this at dinner sat night. When I lived in NJ we ran foams till the last season there in Jackson NJ. What I liked ,just like EA stated they dont fall off. True them and off to track you go fast as first run. When we ran them outdoors we ran them at 61mm raced them to 57 mm then replaced them 2 weeks later. When fall/winter came we trued clean to 57mm and they were ready for indoor racing,same tires..

Foams on ashphalt got my vote...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Default Damn, there are others that feel like I do

I'm glad I posted something that others felt the same towards. While foams do chunk, they still grip until they are almost down to the rim. I was in the middle of a run, on rubber and had a tire "explode" and the insides come out! All I had in the car (1:1)was some foams I used for pratice. I slapped them puppies on for my next run and blazed! So, instead of tire warmers, tons of soda and tire switches every other heat, why not run foams? If the track is maintained properly and dudes pay half the attention to foams as they do rubber, figure how much money would be saved. Less inserts, less glue.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As Euge said, we ran this a couple summers ago at a track that is gone now. I thought it was great. Gas car foam lasts a long time, and is cheaper than electric foam.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Electric & Foam tires

We have started to run mod Electric TC's w/ foam tires here in South Florida since 4/2006. Its been great. We run "Enneti" tires, 37SH, and we get 6-8 good runs out of them. They only chunk if you abuse them- just drive carefully and try not to hit walls. The grip is great, and they are consistent. You can run them to rim. A set of 4 tires costs us $23, and last us about 2 weekends. Compare this to a set of rubber tires, which run for $35, and last half as long, and are a pain to adjust to track conditions. Once we started to run this class, many people turned on us and began to make fun of us, and claim : "oh, but you're doing it the easy way". We dont pay attention to their comments and just continue to have fun and improve our driving and laptimes. Saved a lot of money while at it, too!!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
We have started to run mod Electric TC's w/ foam tires here in South Florida since 4/2006. Its been great. We run "Enneti" tires, 37SH, and we get 6-8 good runs out of them. They only chunk if you abuse them- just drive carefully and try not to hit walls. The grip is great, and they are consistent. You can run them to rim. A set of 4 tires costs us $23, and last us about 2 weekends. Compare this to a set of rubber tires, which run for $35, and last half as long, and are a pain to adjust to track conditions. Once we started to run this class, many people turned on us and began to make fun of us, and claim : "oh, but you're doing it the easy way". We dont pay attention to their comments and just continue to have fun and improve our driving and laptimes. Saved a lot of money while at it, too!!
Those people are haters. That is being smart and resourceful. I find people are making electric waaaaaaayyyy too complicated and having to worry about tires and track conditions is just an added headache! Seems like the major sanctioning bodies are in bed with another group, not just the sub c manufacturers.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Foams on asphalt last longer than on carpet. I run a lot of nitro where i could get a whole weekend out of a set which includes a 45 min main.

I have two tracks i go to where the optimum performance is 60mm for the first track and run them down to 58mm.

Then they are ready for the other track where optimum performance is 57mm
and run them down to 56mm. this track is high bite with low wear.

I can get a total of 15-17 runs on foams on a nitro car that weights
1735g i would think that an electric car that has lower weight and over all cg would even be better on tire consumpsion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.