Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Measuring Setup Around Suspension Slop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
it`s allright xray will have a 5 cell car out next week & they proberly sort the slop out on that one
Leading the pack again then ay!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm probably just being anal but I think it's mad for interesting discussion. I've pretty much nailed down the area of most play and it seems to be the CVD. And as stated earlier I'm sure this is necessary to eliminate binding.

So here is my next question...

Let's say I'm setting the front toe to 1 degree out for example.

Am I better off measuring the toe setting at 1 degree from the outermost point of the steering play? (eg. the toe play varies from 0-1 degrees)

Or, am I better off measuring the toe setting at 1 degree from the innermost point of the steering play? (eg. the toe play varies from 1-2 degrees)

I somewhat ruled out measuring the toe from where ever the suspension settled as it could pretty much settle anywhere in between.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

When tracking down the straightaway, the tires (with toe out) will fight to give you MORE toe out. When you enter a turn, the outside tire will decrease toe because it pushes the leading edge in as more weight is transferred toward the front of the tire. The inside tire will produce more toe out for the same reason. You'll just have to play with the setup and find what works best for you. I would say that if you're looking for toe out though, push the front of the tire IN while you measure it. This will give you the most accurate toe in the corners (where you want it).
Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
When tracking down the straightaway, the tires (with toe out) will fight to give you MORE toe out.
For RWD cars, yes this is true. For 4WD or FWD cars the wheels will actually pull themselves towards toe-in. This is why 4WD cars can usually take a small toe-out setting without affecting straightline stability.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
For RWD cars, yes this is true. For 4WD or FWD cars the wheels will actually pull themselves towards toe-in. This is why 4WD cars can usually take a small toe-out setting without affecting straightline stability.
I've heard that before and was surprised as i thought they would pull out
so would you set the toe out buy pushing tires front edge in when on the gauges?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boosta
I've heard that before and was surprised as i thought they would pull out
so would you set the toe out buy pushing tires front edge in when on the gauges?
If I read you right that would be a good way to find the "on-power" toe-setting for the driven wheels.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Tech Regular

nice one sosidge you read it right, so whilst braking the wheels pull out right?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

yep.