thanks stu. i've seen your thread for the 333sp. kind of a different approach to build the model/plug. theoretically your method should provide that extra bit of symmetry, i guess. and a legendary car too. i've been waiting for an update...and still do!
6. cut out the wheel housings and put together the parts of the body temporarily to find out if there are fundamental problems or something.
then i cut out the cockpit/monocoque area to get the dimensions for the monocoque and how to fit it into its spot. the core of the model for the monocoque consists of ABS-plastic, foam and a glassfibre-part similar to that one cut out before. the shape of the monocoque is still very rough and i am not happy with it yet. i also have to consider how to mount the front suspension, the diffuser and a possible crashbox. the pics explain it better...
7. sorry for not posting for so long. i somehow lost the motivation to work on the car for a while because i had to redo the mould for the monocoque completely. that was a little frustrating as it was nearly finished when i found out it was not right...whatever, now i built it again and it is finally ready for the next steps. i will try to keep the thread alive.
You have got a "VacTool"?....maybe we could put something together. I could produce another set of bodypanels or moulds, put them together and do the necessary modifications...no problem.
The size of the body should match standard touring car chassis or the F103GT quite well as it is designed for standard tamiya wheels. tell me a bit more about these modifications that need to be done.
8. another update...finally.
i finished the core for the monocoque and managed to get a really smooth surface so the parts coming off the mould should have a nice quality.
i also finished both moulds for the monocoque. they fit together perfectly because i used some special joints you see in the pictures. this will help a lot while joining the two parts. theoretically, it also enables me to produce the monocoque as one part. but this seems difficult as the only opening could be the cockpit area...but maybe i will give it a try.
the first monocoque is currently in the making so i will post pictures of it tomorrow.
i already got some ideas to improve the monocoque and to integrate mounting points instead of drilling holes after pulling it off the mould. so i think i will have to modify the mould or even make a new one...lots of work ahead.
Last edited by spyderdave; 02-27-2007 at 10:46 AM.
9. the first monocoque...trial and error.
i pulled the first monocoque off the moulds and put it together. i think it does not look too bad but it is still far from perfect. i need to find a better way to bond both parts together. i also used too much gelcoat as you can see because the surface is not totally clear.
the most important thing is that now i decided to redesign the nose up to the cockpit. first i had planned to fit the dampers and the suspension inside the monocoque, just as it is done on the real spyder. but now i think it is better for service and easier to handle if the dampers are mounted on top of the monocoque. so i have to modify the moulds a little bit and lay up another one.
the positive thing is, that this monocoque is already extremely strong and stiff while being very lightweight. you can really feel it just by holding it. it is very impressive. it feels like it is made from ceramic or something...just much much lighter.