Wiki Posts
Search

Modified Motors Rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Modified Motors Rebuilding

Hi fellows,

I am returning to RC after almost 15 years break - I have some modifieds in my stock and since I am only bashing around, I try to maximise the use of all the old stuff.

These modifieds were unfortunately, stripped apart and put back without much thought. In other words, the timing and +ve and -ve poles could be all screwed.

I know how to shim the motors, cut the comm and etc, etc but is absolutely clueless on how to tune the motors back to its original timing.

Can anyone who can help without me buying a dyno which will prove useless after the motors are back in order?

Thanks and appreciate lots.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Instead of using money on a dyno in an attempt to bring back old, obsolete motors, use the same money to buy yourself a brushless system. Brushed motors are a thing of the past now.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Zero timing is pretty simiple... If there is no mark on the can, align the hood mark directly in the middle of the two motor mounting screws.. If the motor spins in the correct directon your good to go, if it spin in reverse your 180 out.. Once you got it going in the right direction to advance the timing turn the endbell counter-clockwise to advance (looking at the endbell)..
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mttbsg

I know how to shim the motors, cut the comm and etc, etc but is absolutely clueless on how to tune the motors back to its original timing.
http://www.deccosoftware.com/setTiming.htm
Old 11-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot for such prompt suggestions. Brushless are cool but i cannot afford it now, especially if I am just bashing around. thanks, will try it later.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

with 2 magnet motors zero timing is when the brush hoods are parallel with the magnets... there is usually at least one mark for zero...with the can stationary, counterclockwise turning of the hood increases timing...
Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Instead of using money on a dyno in an attempt to bring back old, obsolete motors, use the same money to buy yourself a brushless system. Brushed motors are a thing of the past now.
are you sure that brushless is the way to go? how come the winning cars are still using brushed motors?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Take it easy

Hi Guys,

I think Brushless is good for lazy people like me. Not much maintenance. As for performance wise, I believe both have their pros n cons. then again, wat do I know? It is just that brushless is quite expensive 2 start with. so I am stuck to brushed motors then.