Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change the Hobby for the Better - TODAY -

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It would be nice to be part of pioneering something like this for the good of the hobby. Its a great oppertunity to do something good.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-06-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Lord

Every track facility should be showcased as a museum. Articles and relics from the past to present, a reflection of where the hobby started, and what it has become to so many people. If we represent our hobby as a larger than a toy hobby, it will be respected that way. A standard operating procedure.
Let's face it gentlemen its a way of life for some of us.
Some of us are more obsessed than a formula one racer.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-08-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Lord

Heres an inspiration, Mr. Hudy. Mr. Reedy. Mr. Novak. Where is this museum?
Do'es it exsist? If not then maybe that's the light bulb, that could shed some light on this subject. Call it a franchise. I hope this post gets this baby back up front! I got a total of about 8 hours of sleep in 1 week trying to figure this out. And I have to go through 3 or 4 pages of threads to see if any updates have been posted.
Maybe we just need a devoted website for this subject.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-08-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think there are strides being made that will help new racers get into the hobby easier... Brushless motors and Lipo batteries will especially help. I know if that technology was developed a bit more when I started I wouldn't have bought half the stuff in my RC bag...

Sure, the entry price is a little higher, but what if you had a class of Losi RTR brushless trucks? They would require little motor maintenance, be more than fast enough for the beginner, and have a ton of replacement parts available. Add two Lipo packs that would last over a year a piece, and you would have a class of racing that would be cheap to run over time and be fairly competative...best of both worlds..

So I think entry cost is an important consideration for new racers, but cost over time should also be heavily considered....

I think On Road racing needs to simplfy itself and add more variety to it. Vintage auto racing (full size) is one of (if not the) the fastest growing motorsports... Yet most on road RC bodies are newer sedan type bodies..many of them looking identical. You see a couple of prototypes here and there, but virtually gone are the group C bodies... A few companies are now offering some vintage Trans Am race bodies, but I think there needs to be more of this. I think an RC race grid consiting of a couple Cobras, a couple of Corvette Grand Sports, a few Mclaren Can Am cars, Ford GT40s, Mazerati and Ferrarri sports cars, etc.. would make a splash at the club racing level...

As far as chassis go, the simpler the better. I like the F103GT because it's a simple pan car that utilizes rubber tires... They look easy to maintain and tune for the most part... I think today's top end tourers have so many tuning options...it's probably scarry for a newcomer to deal with...

Lastly, I think the club racers themselves have to take a leap of faith, build a specific class of car and race it. Maybe it starts with a couple of season veterans building a couple of pan cars and forming a brushless GTP class and treating the class as a more "for fun" class. The next thing you know, you may get more people interested in the class and have more participants, etc, etc..

I'm going to build a F103GT and put a RAE 63 Corvette Pro Mod body on it... cut off the hood scoop, but keep the rear deck. I'm going to run rubber tires and use either a stock or 19 turn motor in it (Eventually I may run a brushless motor in it..already got one for my off road car ). Once I complete it, I may run it a few times at the local track and see if anyone else is interested in racing an "Outlaw F103GT" class....

So in conclusion:

-Keep the Brushless and Lipo tech coming
-Keep the long term racing costs down
-Keep the chassis simple and easy (and cost effective) to maintain
-Add more vintage tin (or if not vintage, more variety) to the on-road body list
-Club racers get together and make your own class, and buy appropriate equipment..
Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Tech Lord

Justinian that was some excellent input, how long you been racing?
I agree what's the body differance when you just want to have fun.
I know racing just come's natural, or it does'nt.
I like your additude.
Its hard to put cost on a good time. Its a tough call.
Do you over charge a hamburger, vs a steak because its easier to eat?
Or over charge a steak because it takes a fork and knife?
Its all beef.
And I will agree Brushless lipo is going to play a major part in keeping cost down. No more to costly to compete excuse's.
Love it or leave it.
I hope you post more.?

Last edited by UN4RACING; 12-28-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Tech Lord

Heres an idea.
If some one at your carpet track rips the carpet?
Hand them the duct tape, let them tape it, and let them sign it with a permanent marker.
That will be there mark on the place.
Make everyone sign the wall at the exit door.
I bet that person would deffinitly come back to visit.
And a buisness card board.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Lord

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned easy lay out.
That should be a no brainer.
Ive been racing 10 plus years and I love easy fast flowing lay out's.
If the fast guys like a tougher layout, throw some obsticles out there in there round.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So where is everybody?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Every track facility should be showcased as a museum. Articles and relics from the past to present, a reflection of where the hobby started, and what it has become to so many people. If we represent our hobby as a larger than a toy hobby, it will be respected that way. A standard operating procedure.
Let's face it gentlemen its a way of life for some of us.
Some of us are more obsessed than a formula one racer.
Here's the problem with a museum. For the most part, we have a bit of a museum here, and I do a fair amount of personal collecting, so I have some fist hand experience with this concept. Expect to dump $100K to have some nicer old stuff (if the goal is to attract people to see it). Go ahead and buy a good Bruiser or two, and perhaps a few cable drive MIP RC10's. Bammo, you're out $5k. Mind you from my experience, the only people that are even slightly interested in seeing WAY TO MANY old rc cars, are RC car people. People that have seen some of my stuff are bored out of their skulls in about 45 seconds from the time I start to explain what they are looking at.

N.O.S., N.I.P. cars that are sealed in the box are gonna run you $500-$2500 each, and the sad part is that what is really interesting is what's IN THE BOX, not the box itself, so you can't open it and display the cool part. And if you do, you ruin the value. So know you need more than one of everything.

No amount of having something that I'm not interested in is going to attract me to that hobby. Going to the worlds biggest Doll museum is not going to get me interested in Doll collecting... not one little bit.

A museum full of old Novak stuff could be well displayed on a shelf 12" wide by 48" long... Not much of a "draw" to get the crowds in. Nor would they care when they got there.

Doesn't mean it's not a good idea, just need to REALLY think about the best way to pull it off and if it would actually do what you hope it would do. Unless you have several million in old stuff, who make a family trip out of it? Even then?!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

A big one for me and for a lot of people is $$$, but what hobby isn't expensive?

One of the biggest probems for me, is all the vets. at the track. I'm new along with many other people. I'm not sure how to setup my shocks,diffs,tires/compunds and it seems like there is a lack of help at the tracks. Everyone I talk to seems to be a know it all who doesn't want to help or explain anything to me. I'd rather hang out with some friends on some trails or in a parking lot than be trying to race at even a club level and get laughed at because I don't know much about what I'm doing. I've only been to 1 track, and maybe its that one track. Maybe I need to try somewhere else.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkieMark231
A big one for me and for a lot of people is $$$, but what hobby isn't expensive?

One of the biggest probems for me, is all the vets. at the track. I'm new along with many other people. I'm not sure how to setup my shocks,diffs,tires/compunds and it seems like there is a lack of help at the tracks. Everyone I talk to seems to be a know it all who doesn't want to help or explain anything to me. I'd rather hang out with some friends on some trails or in a parking lot than be trying to race at even a club level and get laughed at because I don't know much about what I'm doing. I've only been to 1 track, and maybe its that one track. Maybe I need to try somewhere else.
I agree 100%. We have two local tracks. One attracts beginners. The other....not so much. I attend races at both tracks during the week and noticed a few things.
1. At the "beginners" track, the fast guys spend more time helping out the not-as-experienced drivers more than we work on our own cars. I enjoy helping someone go faster.
2. Also at the "beginner" track, as soon as some of the faster guys decide to run 19t for the night, the line starts forming behind them. The people that really shouldn't be running anything faster than 27t are quick to jump on this. This results in a yardsale of broken parts all over the track. That does not make for a fun evening for them.
3. At the "other" track, the racing is a bit more serious. This will put off the newbs right off the bat. I like to have fun and choose to sit by the guys who are serious about their racing, but still have enough common sense to have fun while doing it. If you're a beginner, you're not going to find much help here. (Unless you sit by me. The movie for this week is "Borat".)
In conclusion, keep it fun. If someone walks through the door and sees a bunch of grown men cussing at each other on the drivers stand, they probably won't be back.

My head hurts.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks for the reply Bob I can feel ya. The budget suck's. The only response that I can rebutle, Is to encourage the relic racer's to chip in and maybe donate on a local level under an agreement that, that particular glass cage never be opened. And that's an even tighter budget. Those kind's of relic's are hard to find as well. And some one parting with one would be a miracle. I guess poster's and a magazine stand for free reading would be the only alternitive. BACK BURNER. I guess the hard truth is its a hobby that only a hand full could really appreciate.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-16-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Lord

Markie dont give up, Try another track. It take's time to fit in. You'll find a spot even if its plane's, helicopter's, or off road, try it all. Drifting look's totally cool. You can go to your local play ground make some noise, and just see how many friends you make. We used to bash on the dirt diamonds and before you new it 4 or 5 of us. I'll add our track has started a Monday night beginner 's practice night and some of the exsperianced racers are vollenteering some 1 on 1's. And some 1 round, and a main racing. Maybe that's some thing to look into. What's the heaviest practice night, the pro's are more freed up. Practice night's are some good buddy racing too. Lot's of input on practice night's.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-10-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

SO is this a dead issue? I just installed Skype on my computer and Id like to get some dialogue going on this
Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

As far as I'm concerned it is.

Out of 200+ posts and over 6000 views.... 2 people stepped up to help.

Thats pretty damn sad.

Don't complain about this hobby unless you're ready to do something!

There are a dozen threads on here with people saying "this is wrong" or "that is wrong" but not one of them is willing to step up and do anything to make a change? Losers.

It seems its easier to just sit behind our keyboards and bitch and moan.

What does it say about our hobby that people have more time to whine than they do to save their hobby? Losers.

ROAR started with a small group of people, motivated to organize, driven to succeed. Now it is a worthless sanctioning body that caters to the elite. I wonder why? Just look at the votes that were cast last election. Losers.

Change has to start somewhere. One person can't do it alone. As has been stated "Masses drive the hobby" If we don't buy it, they don't sell it!. If 20 people were to truly decide to make a change, they could, but they won't, because they are too busy worrying their little heads off about the next Xray T5 012 or 5600Mah batteries or the Team ShitWagon Tuned motor. Losers.

As far as I am concerned the 100+ hours I wasted on this is more than enough.

To those that DID try to help, I thank you. To those that didn't.... Losers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.