Old 12-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

...count me in!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FreqETag
Thanks for the Kudos...

The USTCA name was chosen due to the fact that in the world of onroad electric racing, touring cars are king. The top electric onroad drivers in the hobby race touring car so it was a natural choice as it is the "superbowl" of the genre.

There are plans in the works to include several different styles of cars, chassis and levels of skill. No one will be left out, have no fear.

If all you race is Mini, you'll be welcomed here.
You better have pan cars in there... hehehe...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I certainly agree about inclusion and not exclusion.

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 12-04-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

FreqETag, as someone who has attempted something similar to this for pan cars, Im in
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think foams were a mistake. It was a short term solution. Personally I think TC should go back to rubber tires. Just my view.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

just curious . . . why do you feel this way?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

I think the demo cars are good but in order the get the spectator to race they will have to purchase their own car. How about one demo car to practice, then a decent entry level car with spec motors escs tires for the beginners to purchase to race in the beginner class.

I seems to me unless they purchase their own car to own and race, they will not get the full value of racing their own car. If someone gave me a car to race I would probably accept it. but after I return it and see the hight prices and the speed, I could easily blow it off.

My fear is that at this time from what I have gleaned from the variouse threads and post up on this web cite is that touring car racing may have peaked except for the dedicated tc racers. I am a tc burn out and have no interest in tc racing.

good luck, it sounds like you difinitely have the spirit.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Until Tech gets there server issues sorted out, please contact me via email instead of via PM.

[email protected]

Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
just curious . . . why do you feel this way?
I look at touring car as the worst class to race but the coolest class to look at. Why? Well it is cool because you get car bodies of cars you drive and see everyday and you make them low and cool looking. It is the worst racing class because it is the worst of every other class put together, you have motor and battery wars, Tire wars (foam or rubber), then to top it off the tires are under the body so there is hacking. LOL

I actually liked the idea of foams to start because purple and plaids were dialed, and lasted quite a long time, now foams aren't lasting, cars are getting faster and harder to keep good clean racing. So now you have seen new classes form because well stock is too slow and mod is too fast.

So what is the solution ROAR or someone can release a rule to tire manufactures to only have say for example 5 pre-mounted tires that are roar legal. or something around those lines to get rubber tires back under control. Because when we see less traction the cars slow down and when they slow down and can't put motor down motors/batteries all of a sudden don't matter as much.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

USTCA HTML Newsletter is coming!

If you would like to be included in our Email List to stay up to date with all of the future happenings, please email me with:

Name
R/C Tech Username
Email Address

If you are also a Manufacturer or Track Owner and would like your involvement to be "anonymous" no problem. We can accomodate.

Also include whether you'd like to support us, get involved or just be kept "in the loop" on what we are doing.

Email: [email protected]

Thanks!

Neal
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Rick, I think that at the grass roots level that most of us are at see the rtr/beginners as the pipeline. Yes, most of the rtr users will not race. But how many kids under 20 are great drivers? Did they have an rtr before a kit? A kit now for TC is over $300. I would not buy my 10 or 6 year old a kit for that. Plus all the things to get it running.
I feel that's where a lot of people make the mistake. Parents that are looking for something for their kids to do, already know what things cost. they know what a Dirt bike, or 4 wheeler, or rock climbing gear or Mountain bikes, Hockey stuff, or a loaded PS3 costs. Parents are willing to get their kids involved in things that they deem "worth while".

Most parents we deal with are stoked they can find anything for thier kids to do that gets them off the couch, and interacting with real live human beings.

PS3 and games will cost you a grand. I could set up a noob for 2 years on a grand with new in the box stuff competitive on a club level.

Never under value what we really have to offer. And not to sound insensitive , but if you have to give up food for a week to enter an RC race, perhaps you simply can't afford it at this time. There are going to be people that simply can't afford it. Intentionally trying to get people into a sport they can barely afford is not a good idea. The minute they have an issue that will cost them $30-$40, they are out. That's not good for the sport either.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by David Alberico
I think foams were a mistake. It was a short term solution. Personally I think TC should go back to rubber tires. Just my view.
As a guy who has personally mounted upwards of 80 rubber tires at a single event (looking for the holy grail). I AM IN NO HURRY TO RUN RUBBER competetively. Which compound, which insert, how much air gap, try a different air gap with a narrower insert on a softer wheel... *UGH*... IF the rules said to do it, I'd do it, racing is racing. But I wouldn't look forward to it. Spec tire is a different situation. I'd run a spec tire if everybody else was.

How nice to simply show up with some double pink, double pink orange and work 99% of the places you go. Or Cyan and magenta, or Purple plaid.

That said, I do feel that rubber tires are very likely a good idea for the slowest of the slow rookie classes. Hard to hunk a rubber tire, and requires no truing, and any combination will get you around the track slowly. Although I've seen "hunked out" rubber tires on rookie cars.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

<---Pretty much agrees with Hohwart on most things in this thread.

Here's my thoughts on why spec cars almost never work... In a nutshell, 95% of the hobby is the stuff you do at home. You got into the RC car "thing" because you wanted a hobby, something to fill your time.

When you have a car with only 15 parts on it, all of which you can't work on, and you cannot make or buy pieces to improve it, what exactly are you supposed to do with your spare time? I suppose get another hobby, Golf, Motocross, hit the dunes, PS3, etc.

Most spec cars eliminate the hobby, from the hobby.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Default newb racer looking inside

As a new racer pondering setting foot into the world of TC, I have some thoughts/questions at the newb level looking in. I may have missed some of this in previous posts so please excuse me if I did. Obviously this is a forum much like other forums here on RCTech regarding touring cars to discuss issues in a global sense and how they 1. Apply to the average club/racer, and 2. How these same issues are seen/handled across the country/world because alot of them seem similar on the surface, and 3. How do we solve the issues that are out there now?

I envision the USTCA becoming a community of racers that the ROAR sanctioning body uses as an idea base/sanity check for proposals and new ideas before introduing them to the mainstream (4 Cell Touring/Banned Lipos anyone)? Here is my thought process behind it:

Is it realistic to think that the USTCA is going to immediatly replace ROAR/NORCCA as a sanctioning body for TC Events? If so great. If not how does it then plan to channel all of our voices into something that is louder than the strokes of a keyboard? When I looked at how many people voted for ROAR president it didnt seem to really give a good cross base of their membership. What is the crossbase of Touring Car racers represented in this and other threads? Everyone has great ideas but what is the crossbase we are truly looking at? I also have to wonder how many people who have suggestions here are actually affected by ROAR rules? I know my offroad track I run at "loosly" follows the rules but that is a very subjective term. NO track wants to lose a potential customer because of rules that cant be modifed. Of course off-road doesnt necessarily suffer from the same problems as touring cars but rules are rules.

Is is possible for people like Rick Howart, AdrianM, Dawn Sanchez, BrOOd who all have some contact within ROAR and the ROAR EXCOMM, and I would think would have at least a passing interest in preserving racing, at their level offer up a path of communication for a potentially large community like USTCA to discuss issues that are facing the TC World with ROAR? I see this as a bigger bang for the buck than trying to force a new sanctioning body right away. Let those that make the rules that our tracks are useing now know what we want.

Of course the canned answer of we can communicate with our Region Directors is going to be tossed out, but I beleive what ROAR needs to understand in saying that is it our issues and solutions are getting watered down/lost in the fray/misinterpeted in the many issues a Region Director is asked to address, and I dont think the issue we have as a community are directly regional issues but more of a organizational issue within ROAR. A separate process to discuss these issue could pave a way for better relations within the community and with ROAR as a whole.

This is part of what I think we can address and potentially fix. Open up lines of communication, allow the USTCA to bring issues, not complaints to the ROAR table and work to find middle ground solutions as to how to handle the issues. As an example of this. If we as a group think that LIPO/brushless racing is a way to introduce new racers into the community and possibly the way of the future then lets have a plan on ways to work it out. ROAR has said insurance is a problem. OK, so what is a work around to this? Can those racers that want to run those LIPO systems pay a higher premium for the ability to do it? This is potentially no different than paying insurance premiums based on the car/area you drive/live in. If not then what are our options? New technology is coming out everyday. Someone has to test it to see if it works at the club/everyday racer level. I would imagine that back when R/C Cars were first coming into their own we had trouble with NICAD batteries. We worked though the problems and moved on to bigger and better things. If we want a cost-controlled class how do we make it happen that can be supported across the board that all tracks can actually work with it?

We should also prepare for the idea that no matter how this falls out we may not get the answers we want to hear from the people who make the decisions, but at least we have a door to discuss the issues and it gives us the racer the choice to decide what we want to do and not shut us down.

For those racers that are not affected by ROAR and may be asking why should I care? Look at what discusssion has been going on in the touring car threads. What has EFRA done, what has IFMAR done? How does that translate into what ROAR might have done, or may be thinking about doing? Everyone is looking to do the best thing for the hobby, and if we can come up with it then the least that we can do is give our input in a way that allows for the right decisions to be made based on what "WE" want to enjoy in the hobby at the big race/club level and allow us to feel like we have ownership in the process regardless of affliation or are we live in.

Standing by to assist anyway I can.

Regards,

Majicman
Old 12-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

FWIW we have decided to have a class for "Tamiya Eurocup Stock" cars at our club (www.nercr.net, North East England) for 2007. We have made a few changes to tyres and motor rules to suit our track and to keep the costs even lower.

Still early days, but within a week of the AGM we have had about 6 members buy cars already. The low cost of this class really seems to have got people thinking about RC again, our 19-turn and open touring classes were getting pretty expensive.

More to the point, the cost of actually starting racing with a competitive setup in 19-turn or open had risen to about £500 new when you include radio and cells. With Eurocup Stock you can build a competetive car for about £150.

We hope that more of the "dormant" racers in the area will come back, that the newcomers who got a TT01 for christmas (now under £100 for a basic deal) will start racing, and that the nitro bashers will put their existing radio in a TT01 and join us too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.