R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Arrow Did you race a CAN AM Lola in the past?

if you did, I would like to hear from you!

I am about to run this vintage 1:12 and would like feedback from

period racers.

The motor is held in by two pins, not screws. A la SRB. I can't see room enough to drill and put in screws in. Anyone ever mod'd this?

Also, the rear of the motor is sandwiched into the metal motor/g.box frame, via a ROUND recess that fits the small round bit on the end of the motor. Modern motors don't have this. So I think the "latest' motor I can use is a Tamiya Dynatech?

The battery has been moved into a sideways postion, from the orig chassis lengthwise. Anyone used this? Does it make the car handle (on carpet) better or worse? It means the chassis flexes (bends down in the center) (bear in mind it has no suspension at all).

The diff and spur gear can be moved about 2mm left and right, while the driveshaft (axel) stays immobile. Yet, they move in sinc with the driveshaft perfectly in fwd & reverse with zero play/looseness. Was this normal when they were fresh/out of the box?

Any other tips on racing this vintage chassis would be more than welcome!

It was Tamiya's BIG thing in '80, '81 so there should be alot of people with experience of it.

More info on the tamiyaclub forum on my endevour with this car. Thanks!

Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Tech Addict

My advise clean it up and admire it do not race it many of these "vintage" kits will sustain huge damage do to aging materials with the slightest wreck or heat from the motor and battery put through them.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote