Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
XRAY 007' Diagnostic Issue >

XRAY 007' Diagnostic Issue

XRAY 007' Diagnostic Issue

Old 11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy XRAY 007' Diagnostic Issue

I just finished building the 007 last night and noticed a couple things that are bothering me and I am trying to find out if it is normal.

1) The diffs front and back wobble when they are not tight. If I make them tight then they are locked up which is no good so my question is are they supposed to wobble. Check yours by grabbing the center of diff
and shaking side to side and see what I am talking about.

2)If I turn any one of the wheels by using my finger on the face of the rim and making a complete circle, a ticking noise can be heard from the wheel area. It is doing it on all four wheels and it doesn't seem like anything is binding, is this noise normal?

3) When driving the car on a flat surface and watching the rear of the car driving very, very slow, the entire back of the car wobbles from one side to the other, any ideas?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yokomo MR4TC-BD? no.
Team Losi JRXS? no.
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan? no
Hot Bodies Cyclone? no.
Tamiya TB Evolution V? no.
Team Losi JRXS Type-R? no.
XRay T2'007? yes.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by "Spanky
I just finished building the 007 last night and noticed a couple things that are bothering me and I am trying to find out if it is normal.

1) The diffs front and back wobble when they are not tight. If I make them tight then they are locked up which is no good so my question is are they supposed to wobble. Check yours by grabbing the center of diff
This is normal, there is a slight amount of side to side play between the bearings and the diff itself "wobbles" because like all ball diffs, the rings ride on top of the diff balls. Do not ever tighten them so far that you lock it up, you can easily damage your diff.

2)If I turn any one of the wheels by using my finger on the face of the rim and making a complete circle, a ticking noise can be heard from the wheel area. It is doing it on all four wheels and it doesn't seem like anything is binding, is this noise normal?
Does it click at the same point every time the wheel goes around? twice per revolution maybe? It might just be the roll pin moving inside the wheel hex. I have also seen a problem when people use too long of a screw to connect the camber links to the hubs, and it rubs onto the CVD's. Even if the screw is the correct length, make sure that there is no plastic flashing protruding down where it might contact the CVD

3) When driving the car on a flat surface and watching the rear of the car driving very, very slow, the entire back of the car wobbles from one side to the other, any ideas?
No idea.. does it track straight?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

1) Normal.

2) its the pin in the layshaft that locks the pulleys in place. It will slide back and forth making this noise....No harm in it though.

3)No clue but I dont think you'll see it on the track. Just run the car and be fast

EA
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
2) its the pin in the layshaft that locks the pulleys in place. It will slide back and forth making this noise....No harm in it though.
I had forgotten about that one, that might be it as well so make sure you really think its coming from the wheels. To eliminate the harmless but annoying clicking sound from the layshaft pin, just grease it up w/ some diff lube before assembly and it will be silent.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Your flat surface doesnt happen to be carpet does it? At slow speeds the car will kinda follow the grain, the bigger the knap, the more it does it.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all of the input guys except the first guy who doesn't know a good car when I run him over with one. The car wobbles on solid wood floor, I have the tires trued so I will look into it further when I am home from work in two hours. What lay shaft pin are you talking about? The ones under the teeth for the two gears next to the spur gear? I had another thought about, I think some loctite from the set screw in the cvd may have gotten into the joint causing the snapping noise, and yes it sounds twice per revolution.
As far as the diff goes, i thought it was normal but just wanted to be sure!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Thanks for all of the input guys except the first guy who doesn't know a good car when I run him over with one. The car wobbles on solid wood floor, I have the tires trued so I will look into it further when I am home from work in two hours. What lay shaft pin are you talking about? The ones under the teeth for the two gears next to the spur gear? I had another thought about, I think some loctite from the set screw in the cvd may have gotten into the joint causing the snapping noise, and yes it sounds twice per revolution.
As far as the diff goes, i thought it was normal but just wanted to be sure!

Yes the two pins in the layshaft that lock the 2 pulley gears in place. The reason its twice per revolution is it's flopping from one side to the other....therefore 2 clicks per revolution. Very annoying but not harmful

EA
Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

Yes the two pins in the layshaft that lock the 2 pulley gears in place. The reason its twice per revolution is it's flopping from one side to the other....therefore 2 clicks per revolution. Very annoying but not harmful

EA
I tightened up the tolerance in the pulley slots and that took the clicking away...
Old 11-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

EA
one word.... Shoe-goo
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

foam tires eh? Do you happen to have the shocks in the outer most hole on the rear arm? Most 28mm plus rims will rub the lower end of the shock. i think it happens at the front too with wide foams.

NEXT EVOLUTION OF SEDANS PLEASE:
-no clicking cvds at full lock
-if u make a foam car let it run foam tires out of the box at all shock locations
-drop kick the price downward!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

To get rid of the clicking noise caused by the layshaft pins, I just put a small amount of thick grease on the 12mm pins before putting them in the layshaft .
Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

I figured it all out, the clicking noise turned out to be the rear hubs hitting the rear arms from moving foward and backward, seems like normal play. If you grab the rear hub you can move it a little from front to back and watch it click the rear arms, probably need that play so it won't bind. The wobbling was the rear tire on the right side was broke but didn't see it and the diff play is normal.