Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
CRC's New Generation-X.... Your Thoughts? >

CRC's New Generation-X.... Your Thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRC's New Generation-X.... Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Keep your eyes in the for sale thread...

I got my Hudy manual truer from a guy off FleaBay, cause there were no bids on his and he needed some cash I got mine for just abotu $170 shipped with a TC and 12th scale Arbors...
Granted I have to manually operate it, but it isn't an issue.

I have seen some manual Integy truers for about what you are asking as well...
Just remember that you sometimes get what you pay for...
-Shookie <><
Old 12-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akura2
maybe I'll invest in a tire truer... can anyone suggest a decent one for under $150? (I can't justify $400 for the Hudy yet)
A truer really ends up being a "must-have" tool, or at least access to a truer is. $150-400 is really quite a spread though.

I picked up a lightly used Integy Auto True-Cut off the fs list and have been quite happy with it. I added a Hudy carbide cutter to mine, but that's by no means necessary. A few minutes dialing it in (setting how deep the cutter is inserted in the tool) to get the depth accurate and I'm off and running.

The Integy truer runs $190-ish new, they're on the list pretty regularly at $120-150, often times with an arbor or two.

Something to be aware of--if you're using Parma tires/wheels the OFNA 1/12 arbor does not work (and guess what came with my truer...). I borrowed a friends older Integy arbor (with the separate tapered collar for rear wheels) which worked great and have purchased a Hudy arbor which also works perfectly. Don't know about the newer Integy arbor though.

Another little secret to save time and hassle with the Integy truer...when the carriage is set so it fits into the case, place a piece of masking tape on either side of the carriage to mark that location. Then when you're ready to put it away, just run it to that point and you're set.

Scottrik
Old 12-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JFCJ
For my batteries, I use a jumper so that I don't wearout the ball cup... like so...

You have any more pics so I can see how your Sphere is sitting in there??? The GTB hangs off the chassis and I was contemplating putting the LRP in there instead....
Old 12-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I haven't had a chance to get on the forums lately, interesting thread....

I have a couple questions on the Gen X and tires...

I really like the new car. No question, I am making less mistakes and turning faster lap times with better results.

My question is tires... I have tried 2-stage with poor results. No matter what I do, they are inconsistant and and loose grip late in the race. The track is medium to low grip and we used Jack the Gripper. Are the 2-stages worth the extra money? I have tired the standard Jaco's with better results, so it seems specific to the 2-stage tire. However, my best combination is CRC Pro Cut magenta front and white rears. The white rears are very good for the entire run.

Also, I have been playing around with springs and I usually end up with the .45 front spring. Most of the guys at the track are running .020" and suggest that I make the car work with stiffer front springs. Why? Seems like the softer spring turns more and hits the bumps better.

Other than that... this new Gen X is really an awesome machine. Front end is SO easy to work with, can't believe people are putting up with the older stuff.

Looking forward to racing again... now if I could only get my T2 to behave.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I know one thing is that crew from CRC are awsome to deal with even over the holiday weeks.
Thanks CRC for taking care of the issues.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default add'l pics...

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
You have any more pics so I can see how your Sphere is sitting in there??? The GTB hangs off the chassis and I was contemplating putting the LRP in there instead....
check my post below....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=120
Old 12-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Front springs

Alright all, with the help of everyone the car is getting better and better. What front springs and what damper oil are you all running???? Fast track, a little bumpy. I am trying Meg., purple, and D Pink fronts with white rears. WOW what a difference from purple and gray. I think the D Pink seem to get more grip as the race goes on. My car gets worse as the race goes on. More unpredictable. It tends to pull to the left a little on power through a slow right turn to a fast straight to a fast right sweeper. Man I love this stuff/Car. I am running 4mm front and back and 4.5 mm in the middle with a red center spring 35 oil center. I don't know what front springs are on the car because I bought it second hand. Ballance weight/tweak is equal on the rear.

Jack

Last edited by jackh; 12-24-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Did anybody notice that the setup sheets don't have a place to mark inline vs. trailing? I was looking at them yesterday thinking about my setup while building my car and noticed that..unless I read over it.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by acyrier
Did anybody notice that the setup sheets don't have a place to mark inline vs. trailing? I was looking at them yesterday thinking about my setup while building my car and noticed that..unless I read over it.
I'd guess because in MOST circumstances (unless you're racing oval) the "inline" is an academic exercise--you won't actually run it.

Scottrik
Old 12-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Location: Tupperville, Ontario, CANADA - like tupperware but with a population of 450.

Originally Posted by fasterform
Also, I have been playing around with springs and I usually end up with the .45 front spring. Most of the guys at the track are running .020" and suggest that I make the car work with stiffer front springs. Why? Seems like the softer spring turns more and hits the bumps better.

Other than that... this new Gen X is really an awesome machine. Front end is SO easy to work with, can't believe people are putting up with the older stuff.

Looking forward to racing again... now if I could only get my T2 to behave.
I been running black fronts and white rears. Blacks don't have as much grip as a purple or D'pink front in the middle of the corner. I find that the whites loose grip after 4-5 minutes in, making the car a handful to drive at the end of the race. This is not just a Gen-X thing. It happens with my T-Force as well. I use pink or D'pink rears and the problem goes away. The only way a white will keep its grip is if you get a pair that are like marshmellows. Or, the track has super grip. In which case, you won't be able to turn.

Start with the .45 springs. I find that the .50's are good for some tracks as well. Not too often do the .55's get used. I used these in Cleveland because the car was high siding. Try the .45's with a little preload on them. I set them up with about 3/4 turn of preload to start. Seems to be a good setup for an agressive yet stable car. The .45's with a little preload still give the car a nice turn in and still soak up the bumps without upsetting the car.

Also play with battery position. It will help with the bumps also. Forward seems to give a more neutral bias front/back, making it feel a little more calm in the corners.

Why do you want to run what everyone else is running? How will you be faster if you are running the same setup as everyone else?
Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Location: Tupperville, Ontario, CANADA - like tupperware but with a population of 450.

Someone want some pics of a GTB in a Gen-X? Here are a couple links.

Gen-X/GTB

Gen-X/GTB2

These are of my car. Someone may notice the plastic wrap under the ball cups. I was testing different tightnesses in the ball cups.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Wayne,

Merry Christmas to you and your family !!!

What setup on my Gen X do you recommend me for the Magma race.

Thanks

See you soon.

Happy Holidays Everyone !!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wvince
Someone want some pics of a GTB in a Gen-X? Here are a couple links.

Gen-X/GTB

Gen-X/GTB2

These are of my car. Someone may notice the plastic wrap under the ball cups. I was testing different tightnesses in the ball cups.
Wayne - Nice clean layout. That's probably the best I've seen for brushless in a 1:12 scale. I couldn't tell from the pics, but what side springs are you running?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default setup sheet

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I'd guess because in MOST circumstances (unless you're racing oval) the "inline" is an academic exercise--you won't actually run it.

Scottrik
Well, I would agree in most situations a person wouldn't run it, academic or not, it's a setup option and I found it odd it wasn't on the sheet, that's all. Thought maybe I looked over it. Thanks for your brief explanation though. :-)

I also saw earlier in this thread that the kit came with "blue" tube lube? the tube lube that came with my kit had a "white" cap, which I thought was light, red was heavy and blue was medium. I should probably recheck my stuff. When I saw it was a white cap, I just used hwat I already had instead of opening another bottle of it.

Last edited by acyrier; 12-25-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Hey guys, if you are looking I have a couple of Gen X kits left. Get them before I close the doors for good.

Kraig
KT Hobbies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.