Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EFRA decision. 5 cells -1350gr

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Giuseppe d.
tha way to reach 1350g from actual cars may be very expensive, in my opinion.
Removing one cell will take away about 60g, and the ramaining 90g ??
Brushed sistem are light, but brushless are heavy... will we see soon some titanium bulkheads, screws? I think so. Is this cheap? we'll see.
An IB cell is 70g not 60. Titanium is heavier than aluminium, we already have aluminium bulkheads. Most of us use Ti or aluminium screws. My MSX was only 1370g with the personal transponder in the car. Seems to me that it's very close from 1350.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
I was at Vegas.

I personally saw one battery explode, and one car catch fire.
May have been more, don't know.
I wonder how many runs were made total? Including all practice, qual's, mains. 3000?-4000? more?

Of the incidents, I wonder how many were 100% related to motor and speedo's exploding due to batterys that were to powerful?

Possibly there were also other reasons? crash damage? user error? Law of averages?

This is a very pretigous race with some of the best drivers in the world with their fastest stuff, pushed to the edge. In fact anybody that went, likely had their best stuff, pushed as hard as it could be made to go. That seems like a fair statement.

Lets just say, for the sake of good debate, that there were 3-4 more absolute, catastrophic, failures resulting in equipment that "blew up". That's still, one in a thousand, at an event where everything, EVERYTHING, would be pushed to the edge, by everyone there. And by people that truly know how to use up equipment.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

I was wondering....Regarding manufacturers of ESC & Motors.Have we reached a peak in current components?? Or are there better FETs out there that can stand the punishment of RC racing? Is it the cost of this compenents that are a deterent,end up with an ESC costing $500 ??

Just wondering....
Old 11-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
I was at Vegas.

I personally saw one battery explode, and one car catch fire.
May have been more, don't know.
I was pitted across from the exploded battery.... it wasnt the cells fault... the guy put it on the charger and walked away and during the charge the cell got moved up against a metal case and shorted out.
The fire was Sobottka's ESC capacitor shorting out and catching fire and I believe it was on the first lap or right before the start.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eirik
Søren, Seriously dude, something must be wrong with your car that can't handle all that power, and 19t as well, Hmmmm.

You removed almost 17% of available power and your almost as fast??
This must be on a tiny track or something, because when we tested this here, the "power" was gone, top speed was ok, but it was really mellow!!!

When I swithc from my practice packs to my race packs I am about 2/10sec faster on an average indoor carpet track! This has ALWAYS been the case!!

Trust me, 6cells is faster, no doubt!!!
We can run a test at Staffanstorp next summer if you like and see who has the most fun, you with 5cells and me with 6cells
Hi Eirik
Let me tell You some more details
The place I tested was at my local indoor track where I have been driving for 17 years, and I have the track record in 19turns. I can go out and drive the same times within 2 sec overall on each battery I try there.
The track is 30m X 10m with average grip, not super high, with rubber tyres- Fastest laptime with 19t 6 cells is 12.24 and with the 6 cells I made 12.30
Next time I will test with modified and I see what times I can make there.

Off course I know its gonna be a big difference on a huge nitro track like Staffanstorp, but if we race the same equipment I am sure we will both have a lot of fun anyway

See You at DHI-cup

Søren
Old 11-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I gotta be honest, if you're gonna have an opion, check both sides of the page. I did. It doesn't change my opinion on what is really wrong and should be corrected.

HOWEVER, let me say this, at the very least, somebody from ROAR should pop on over to the EFRA website and have a look. Spend some time over there, look around. It's very well done.

Looks like racing. It is well laid out, even lists past winners and current events. even pictures of who's in charge and what's up. VERY professional, great work.

Kudo's to EFRA for a great job on their site.

EFRA web site

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-23-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The one thing that's going to be a problem is for those countrys who has a national 19T class with 6 cells, that class will kill modified if it has to use 5 cells and 19T 6 cells!

Who wants go slow?

So if EFRA wants to eliminate modified racing they have found a way
Old 11-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

I asume 19t will go 5-cell as well. I guess the drivers wanted 19t because Mod was to fast. What other reason is there?

If 5-cell Mod works fine, there will maybe no reason for having 19t in the first place? The less classes the better I say. It works for 1/12 ( in europe ), 1/8, 1/10 IC, 1/8 Off Road etc.
Why does Electric Touring need all this different classes?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Why does Electric Touring need all this different classes?
I used to wonder that myself. What it does is keep interest high. It's funner to try different classes and different motors and combinations. People want to try stuff. Bottom line, sure it dilutes classes so there are fewer people in each. But how else can you get the super fast guys out of stock and let the new guys have a chance.

It gives a few others a chance at some glory and hopefully equals out the skill level a bit.

Heck, I was on a thread somewhere on this site talking about racing some 1/12 stock, haven't done it for a while, thought it would be fun. I hadn't given it much thought, and our club has recently added 19turn to 1/12th. Stock is now for the less experienced, and gives guys that want to run two 1/12th classes at a club race a place to be without trashing the new guys or those that don't like to run mod.

Fun, fun, now I get to try some 1/12 19turn racing.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Tech Addict

You can't just have one class i touring, not everyone like modified and wants to race somthing less serious

I think we will se a boost in 1:10 offroad racing and 1:12 and a major loss in touring cars, just look at the entrylist for DHI-cup not even 70 drivers in mod and over 120 in 19T

And since 19T is the biggest class in some countrys we should elieinate that class and just race mod?

just an example from Norway here are the sponsred drivers from "the dark side" they want race mod since there is more fun to race 19T with 6 celles and foamtires, and they say that if we go with 5 cells I'll only race 19T, and then how long will that class live as a normal class for average joe?
Old 11-23-2006, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
I was wondering....Regarding manufacturers of ESC & Motors.Have we reached a peak in current components?? Or are there better FETs out there that can stand the punishment of RC racing? Is it the cost of this compenents that are a deterent,end up with an ESC costing $500 ??

Just wondering....
Interesting discussion.

Regarding FETs, there's no problem with them they develop and improve all the time. What matters is the overall ESC rating, what type of FETs are used and how many. A "just good enough" design/spec is more likely to suffer from overheating and other problems than a "good" design/spec ESC. It is to do with component costs and profit, it comes down to what spec you get for the $$$ you pay. As for motors it's not so easy, the basic designs have been around for quite some time so they would need to be improved to bring them up to date. Brushed motors that is, brushless is where the development is going on these days.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Off course we are not going to run modified with 5 cells, and stock/19t with 6 cells. That would be really stupid. 5 cells will be for all touring classes, so people can use the same batteries and cars.
If they think that 27t or 19t will be to slow, they can switch to modified
Old 11-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

Søren

Do you realy think that anyone will drive 27/19T with 5 cells?

May of the average joe like speed and dont like modified since the "big boys" are playing there and scare them away

just look at you own country and see how big 19t is there, this is also for the rest of scandinavian countrys

They only thing 5 cells will do is kill touring cars in all classes

things will be to slow and not fun to race, just think of the "big" tracks we have in europe, 5 cells and what kind of motor 4-5T or 2,5 brushless whit it is avilable? whats the point then with 5 cells since it the "same problem " we have now
Old 11-23-2006, 02:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HappyHippo
Søren

Do you realy think that anyone will drive 27/19T with 5 cells?

May of the average joe like speed and dont like modified since the "big boys" are playing there and scare them away

just look at you own country and see how big 19t is there, this is also for the rest of scandinavian countrys

They only thing 5 cells will do is kill touring cars in all classes

things will be to slow and not fun to race, just think of the "big" tracks we have in europe, 5 cells and what kind of motor 4-5T or 2,5 brushless whit it is avilable? whats the point then with 5 cells since it the "same problem " we have now
YES I do John
And I'm even more convinced after trying with 5 cell and 19T

Maybe the speed will be a little slower on the big outdoor tracks, but so what. It will be the same for everyone, and with time the speed comes up again.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:05 AM
CAi
Tech Apprentice

2008 Worlds will be driven with 6 cells, for sure.
Americans will never drive 5 or 4 cell.

EFRA has to follow 2008.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.