Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
anyone still drive the yokomo YR4-M2 pro? >

anyone still drive the yokomo YR4-M2 pro?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone still drive the yokomo YR4-M2 pro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
hey I picked this up in a big trade but I'm not into this kind of car. I think it is an early yokomo yr4m2. It's in pretty good shape just wicked dusty and neglected. Is this a "cool" vintage car that would run well in a "vintage" body (like a 240z) or is it some kind of troublesome pos that is hard to get parts for? If it's not worth much I'd just as soon clean it up (it is dying for some sweet hardware) and run it. I dunno. I have so many cars I can't run em all. Maybe this is better off in someone elses hands rather than in a box under a cabinet. Kills me seeing a good car go to waste. Can I get parts ? at least a blow up picture, thats all the Dogfighter came with, one big sheet in japanese and a little hand drawn assembly pic of the shocks. Yea I had a yokomo nothin like this. I do have the original small shocks and a set of smacked up wheels but no body.
thanks my brain is tired of trying to decide.
It's early YR4 M2 USA version. This is the one that I just bought! There are some parts you may have a hard time getting hold of but generally most parts are available. You already have alo A arms at least. I've seen lots of hubs and arms on sale in ebay so as far as the rear belt is intact, you're good. Even with that broken you can still get it cuz I just found out the website where I can custom order(not really custom since they already have it). You let me know if you need to get the rear belt. We should race together BTW LOL.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by alcyon
since you already bought it, just use it first. if you are just having fun its ok. the car does have some issues, like you have to tape the servo in place, and BITD you had to use 4 cells on the right side and 2 cells on the left to properly balance the car. nowdays you cant do that becuase of lipos. try to counterbalance the left weight on the right side by adding lead weights opposite the motor.
Mine is YR4 M2 type J pro in which I can use stick pack batteries. So it's not an issue. But I'm planning to put some weights due to the electronics.
With the car I just bought, I'll try to convert it to use stick pack. It shouldn't be hard. The picture above shows that there should be ample space to put the stick pack. Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok guys go have fun. i think i have some magaizne articles from rc car action 1997. let me see if i can find them and scan them.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by py
was wondering if anyone had one or still drives one?
No, its 2012. Sold that car in 2000.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by peter george
No, its 2012. Sold that car in 2000.
well, its 2012 and i still drive my 2001 Kawada SV-10 Alcyon II and its still kicking butt. in fact i got a whole blog about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow, seeing that YR4-M2 USA Version brings back many early TC memories. I use to run that car back in the late 90's. It was dialed for it's time, I won many races with that car. I remember using the Penguin R/C 4+2 cell configuration battery tray to get the car better balanced.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

well, its 2012 and i still drive my 2001 Kawada SV-10 Alcyon II and its still kicking butt. in fact i got a whole blog about it.
sure, my post was an attempt at humor. If you see my sig.... I still have a pro-3 and a pre-2000's neo sedan. The funny thing is that they are my only sedans that I have left and use for VTA.I am sure that familiarity with the car and setting it up is key rather than having the latest and most expensive car in the market. I have spare parts to run my cars till Im 90. Just hope I reach that age some day. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

sure, my post was an attempt at humor. If you see my sig.... I still have a pro-3 and a pre-2000's neo sedan. The funny thing is that they are my only sedans that I have left and use for VTA.I am sure that familiarity with the car and setting it up is key rather than having the latest and most expensive car in the market. I have spare parts to run my cars till Im 90. Just hope I reach that age some day. Good luck.
hey , the NEO is an interesting car but there is very little information about them. if i remember right, there were 2 versions. one the pro2 type with the motor in the rear, and the other is the CE-4/OB-4 type with the motor in the front. the other is the OVA T-4. ABC carrera..my 1998-2002 japanese mags has reviews about those cars we dont see anywhere else but japan.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

hey , the NEO is an interesting car but there is very little information about them. if i remember right, there were 2 versions. one the pro2 type with the motor in the rear, and the other is the CE-4/OB-4 type with the motor in the front. the other is the OVA T-4. ABC carrera..my 1998-2002 japanese mags has reviews about those cars we dont see anywhere else but japan.
http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

seen your pics and WOW! the motor and batteries placement is very centered. and the arms are long too. but the upper links are pretty short, but then most cars of the time had short upper links. the other thing is it seems your car comes with gear diffs?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
It's early YR4 M2 USA version. .
Its the M2 version because it has the small shocks from the YR4M. The USA version has the larger shocks. Also the M2 has different shock towers than the USA because of the size of the shocks. USA has bigger bulges on the shock towers both front and rear.

I have / had the YR4M, YR4M2 USA, and YR4M2-Pro (similar to J Pro) and also YR4M Special (batteries on one side). I even have a YR4GP (nitro). Hence my screen name.

Its all sitting in a cabinet either complete or in pieces. I've been meaning to build a complete YR4M2 USA but haven't found the time. These cars are only good for nostalgia reasons and are not worthwhile to race in anyway.

If you want to race, you're better off picking up a cheap shaft drive TC3 or TC4. I recently picked up a Kyosho TF5s cheap and despite all the plastic parts, it handles much better than any of the YRs I've had.

BTW, I also had the OB4 (mid motor) which I converted to the OB4 International (rear motor). That too is also sitting in parts somewhere in a container.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

seen your pics and WOW! the motor and batteries placement is very centered. and the arms are long too. but the upper links are pretty short, but then most cars of the time had short upper links. the other thing is it seems your car comes with gear diffs?
I pulled those out of the hpi sprint 2 perfect fit and the arms fit as well. I have a whole second chassis and parts to build a second one...but just dont have the time. I had this car up for months in the for sale threads ...not even one offer to buy ....only for trades but Im still holding on.I may just run it this summer out doors..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Mine is YR4 M2 type J PRO so the chassis, front bulkhead and front diff are different but I can live with it. Should I still buy newer touring car to compete in local tracks? I've been looking for a few days already and ended up buying another discontinued car and now what? LOL
Actually, yours is an M2 Pro. The J Pro had the different motor bulkhead that did away with the belt tensioner pulley and had a layshaft closer to the chassis.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a newer car if you want to race. You can get a used TC4 relatively cheap.

Last edited by YR4Dude; 04-26-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Actually, yours is an M2 Pro. The J Pro had the different motor bulkhead that did away with the belt tensioner pulley and had a layshaft closer to the chassis.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a newer car if you want to race. You can get a used TC4 relatively cheap.
Is that right? I still have the box. But I had 2 YR's so You may be right. But I'm 90% sure it's j pro since it has different upper chassis and front one way diff which distinguishes it from USA version. Again I can be wrong.
I'll still try to race w/ this car. Why not? It's a waste to keep this beautiful car only on the shelf. I'll see how it goes first. But I've been thinkIng hard about getting a new car like xray or TC6.1. Dude, I'm not gonna go for a cheap outdated car if I need to buy one. TC4 is already outdated. Why would I buy another outdated car? LOL I just hope I can enjoy my YR a bit more
Old 04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Is that right? I still have the box. But I had 2 YR's so You may be right. But I'm 90% sure it's j pro since it has different upper chassis and front one way diff which distinguishes it from USA version. Again I can be wrong.
I'll still try to race w/ this car. Why not? It's a waste to keep this beautiful car only on the shelf. I'll see how it goes first. But I've been thinkIng hard about getting a new car like xray or TC6.1. Dude, I'm not gonna go for a cheap outdated car if I need to buy one. TC4 is already outdated. Why would I buy another outdated car? LOL I just hope I can enjoy my YR a bit more
Not sure what your budget or priorities are. If you can afford the TC6.1 or the latest from XRay or Tamiya, go for it.

Regarding your YR, I had an M2 Pro from when it was first released. At that time, it was an upgrade to change the motor bulkhead to J Pro spec. With the layshaft in the lower position, it eliminated the belt tensioner for the rear belt which made the transmission more free. Also because of the layshaft being lower, the front belt would also be lower hence you could only use saddle packs.

However with the layshaft in the upper position and an additional belt tensioner for the front, it would allow you to use stick packs. So maybe its good you have the M2Pro bulkhead so now you can run a lipo pack crosswise in the middel of the chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.