Newbie lookin for some help please...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie lookin for some help please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie lookin for some help please...

Hi guys. Im sort of new to the R/C world. I did have a Traxxas Nitro Stampede like 6 years ago, but thats it. I recently have been really interested in a 1/10 scale electric AWD car. I have been reading on this site and others on what model I want. Does anyone have any pros and cons of some cars? Maybe some insite into some cars. I dont plan on going crazy with it, but will definatley be modding it. Heres a little bit that I think I know..

HPI
have plenty of things to buy it seems
not sure about quality though

Kyosho
honestly dont know anything about them

Losi
seem to have really good started parts(radio, ESC)
quality seems to be really good

Traxxas
seem to be very popular
quality seems to be OK

Trinity
know very little about them also

Thanks for any input guys!!
Old 02-15-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey there and welcome !!
You didn't mention two VERY good manufacturers...Associated and Tamiya. Although I run primarily Tamiya stuff..I have to admit that probably the best entry level car I have had experience with is the Associated TC3 Ready To Run. Great,wellproven design, Plenty of shop and racer support, amazing amount of hop up parts available. The ready to run version comes complete with radio, esc and motor. Check it out at www.teamassociated.com. Let us know if you need help. Good Luck
Old 02-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default tamiya

Dont over look tamiya, they are a well known brand and every one has owned one at some stage of their hobby life..
Old 02-16-2003, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

First of all, you should get a kit with good local support. It's not funny to have a nice car, which cant drive for a month or 2, because you cant get that little spare part....

Second, get a durable kit. All people who starts out, makes some crahes. It's a nature law. AE TC3 aint known for durability, actually it breaks the whishbones quite easily.

Where do you want to drive? Asphalt, carpet, outdoor, indoor, racing, bashing....?
Old 02-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Well, most of my driving would be outside my house. We got freshly paved roads all around me. If I do decide to race, theres a great hobby shop about 1/2 hour from me. They have indoor and outdoor tracks. I believe the indoor track is carpet. BTW, sorry for missing those other two product names.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Cole is right,The tc3 weak point is the arms. But OVERALL...I still believe it's the best package out there. As for Tamiya,their RTR packages aren't all that great for anybody wishing to progress without having to sell and go on to a different car. BUT.....I can strongly suggest the TA04 S or TA04 R chassis and then buy yourself a decent radio and esc. The JR XS3 radio is fantastic, good for a beginner or advanced driver and best of all....no crystals!! State of the art for a reasonable price. TA04 is strong, smooth and upgradeable in a big way. If you need help finding this stuff...just ask.

Last edited by Evoracer; 02-16-2003 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Well my friend got a Team Losi off road stadium truck(forget the name of it). He paid $250 for the RTR and got a good JR radio and a decent V3? ESC. I was lookin for something like that. A decent RTR with a good radio and good ESC to start with.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

The package he bought wasn't a FACTORY item was it?? Maybe he bought a COMPLETE package of car,esc,radio from a private seller?? Associated and others make actual packaged RTR cars but the radios and esc are usually entry level . You could scout the classified and find a package with much higher performance stuff but keep in mind we're talking used VS. new.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

That sounds like the RTR XXX-T - it's got a JR radio and a GM V3 speedo.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi there,

I know RTR are a fast way into RC but i prefer a kit car.
First of all you will know how you car works, know how to disasamble it if something needs to be replaced or you want to clean your car becouse you build it.
And last but not least you can buy some decent electronics without limitations like a FM radio or a ESC with no motor limit, motor YOU like and tires that YOU like.

Greatz Whacky
Old 02-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Whacky
Hi there,

I know RTR are a fast way into RC but i prefer a kit car.
First of all you will know how you car works, know how to disasamble it if something needs to be replaced or you want to clean your car becouse you build it.
And last but not least you can buy some decent electronics without limitations like a FM radio or a ESC with no motor limit, motor YOU like and tires that YOU like.

Greatz Whacky
I agree 100%. If you you buy the RTO stuff you don't get the knowledge you need to know the car and the electronics are junk. word to the wise ( you pay alittle you cry alot. You pay alot you cry one time) So if you are starting to get into this sport spend the extra cash and get quality equipment it may hurt the bank account at first but you will be glad you did it in the long run. well thats my two cents

Old 02-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Mindblowin,
Both these folks have valid points. YOU are going to have to be the one to make the ultimate choice. We're just giving you different things to think about. Notice nobody here said..."well that sucks or this is garbage" There is a lot of good stuff out there to suit your NEEDS and TASTES. Follow our suggestions but they are just a guideline......You're the one paying for it. Good Luck.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I went to the local track today to check things out. The people are very knowledgable there, and I talked with them for a while. After speaking to a few people, and watching a few races, I think Im lookin into either the Losi XXX-S or the Assosiated one(forget name already). It seems the Losi has pretty good electronics to start with, which is what I want. The Ass. had a decent ESC and an OK radio, BUT has a shaft-driven AWD system. As far as building my own car and knowing whats what... I have built before, and know the basics to everything. When I was like 16(6years ago) I built my first electric car, then bought a Nitro Stampede. Also, about buying very good stuff now, rather than later... well I didnt really want to do that. Id rather build up as I go along. Besides, I dont want to get really crazy into this. I simply cant afford too much stuff(I have a real car to mod also). I do appreciate all your help guys. Im still trying to decide on exactly what I want. What does everyone think of my two choices anyways?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Both cars a good choice kinda like chevy or ford pros on the asscociated TC3 it is a very good car easy to set up and maintain. the shaft drive is more responsive than a belt.
now the losiXXXS Is also a very good car single belt drive many differant set up options and also easy to maintain.
it is a little more demanding as far as set up but once you get it it's there
I have both cars and have been running the losi for the last two years just started to run the ascosiated car again have had it for three years just needed a change

so I know I didn't help much but either choice is a good choice.

so RACE ON DUDE!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Both the TC3 and the XXX-s are good cars, so you cant go totally wrong. However, I believe the XXX-S are stronger and more reliable. Especially about those arms. And the bearings in a TC3 aint lasting as long as on other kits.

But mainly, it's about your own preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.