R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2003, 01:31 AM   #16
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I have tried both electric 1/10th on road and nitro 1/8th on road. i only needed one season of Nitro at the top level to convince me to return as quickly as I could back to electric, before going bankrupt.

In a nutshell, it's not the initial cost; it's not the normal running; it's just the fact that Nitro is so much more work so......dare i say less end result!

I will explain. My son and I ran a season of 1/8th Nitro some years ago. He drove. I prepared the car etc. We ran a BMT loaned for the season by a friend - the BMT was the car to have in those days. We moved to the Nitro class after friends persuaded us that it was the direction to go, having had a few successful seasons in electric.

I have to say I didn't like the noise. I certainly didn't like the mess. I didn't like to have to fork out for gas and tyres every time i wanted to run the car. And most important of all I didn't like the unreliability. Granted these cars run for an hour but you are very lucky if you can finish a one hour race, let alone place well - even at World championship level - look at the W C results and see the number of retirements. Now that is World class level and still half the field doesn't finish. What chance have we lesser mortals.

Now for electric. This season my son and i are running a car each, in different classes. I run in stock, he runs in mod. I run a Yoke SP, he runs a TC3. We both use the best equipment available, top transmitters, speedos, servos, motors, tyres, chargers, cells, you name it. We are both leading our respective classes in the National championship. Josh has won all 9 rounds and i have won 5 out of 9. We have never had a retirement or an electrical failure. We charge the same cells week in week out at a cost of 1 penny in electricity. Josh uses a set of tyres for one meeting and I use the same set for the next meeting, then use them for testing and practice. Josh does 2 races on a skim and a set of brushes and has used the same 2 motors all season. i use 1 stock motor which cost me $25.

The initial cost of 1/10th electric and 1/10th Nitro is about the same. The electric are loads faster, cleaner and cheaper to run. By far the most expensive is 1/8th. Here a good car alone will cost you as much as your electric car with all it's equipment for a season......and more.

May be I got a raw deal, but that's the way it's happened to us. Electric is great. We both raced and won yesterday. Both cars are back in the cupboard. all they needed was a brush down. Cost of yesterday's meeting for both cars: 2 pairs of brushes and a bit of tyre wear. Fun factor - great.

There's just no comparison. Apart from the fact that the whole World is slowly but surely changing from environment unfriendly fuel to clean electric.

Just my own experience.

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote