Search

Keep it Cool

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

With the graph comparing the TCS system to the no motor cooling method

http://www.tcscooling.com/graph1a.html

you probably should include a comparison to the motor being cold, ie having not run in so the racers can see the difference between the cold motor and the one using your cooling system...just a thought
Old 10-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

RWeatherley you got mail......
Old 10-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Smile

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

I have tested peltier coolers, which are quite good, and this is what I have found.

This assumes that the motor is cooled long enough to get down to 0 degs Celcius, before a race ...

It is usually about 2 minutes between removing the cooling device and placing the car on the track having fitted boyshell and walked to the rostrum etc. Then ideally you must run about 1/2 a lap to check the car and trims and get the driver ready etc.
(Please note that during the initial running the brushes suffer excess wear due to condensation on the comm)

Approxiamtely another 1/2 minute has to be used waiting for the race start. During this time, a typically 2 or 3 minute total period and a short run, the motor is rising in temperature and at the start of the race will have risen to about 10 degs (assuming normal ambient temp of 20C)

Due to the fact that there is a bigger temperature difference between the motor and surrounding air temperature, compared to a non pre-cooled motor, the motor's temperature rises more quickly.

At around the 3 minute mark the motors temperature risies above that of a TCS cooled motor. By the end of the race the motor temperature will be about 10 degs hotter than a TCS cooled motor, but 5 to 10 degs lower than a completely un cooled motor.

Of course there is nothing to stop anyone using a TCS, fans and a peltier in combination, but if you had to choose a single item for maximum performance the TCS does out perform all of the other devices.

The TCS is also pleasing and effective to work with because you don't have to keep fitting and removing the device. Once TCS is installed it just gets on with its job. The motor temperature is also much more constant and therefore feels the same throughout the race.

Thanks again for your comments. Once I have my data into a suitable format, I think I will add it to the website.

Best regards
Richard Weatherley
TCS
Old 10-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Tech Adept

If your worried about airflow on the radiator you could always stick a fan on it now all we need is some gasious exchange and we could take some ice cream racing!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TTT
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have been looking for a pump such as the one you use in your system to pump fuel in a custom rig i am making any idea on where i can get somthing like this or the exact one. Thankyou
Old 12-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone tried 1 yet?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

TCS water cooling system or fans
done a bit of temp work today

used Nathan parker (TCS)
Mark Stiles (Coolcan fans )
both used C2`s based motors , both in same Heat
temp taken on start line & straight after race finished

nathan (TCS) 17.6c sitting on line -----after race 31.2c(Note;;, nathan been using the Much More cooling thingy ,thus he`s motor is a couple of degrees less then marks , This shows the much more thingy less of a advantage then the TCS setup if anything
marks (coolcan Fans) 20.1 c sitting on line --- after race 47.9c

Max Weatherly (19tC2) on line 19.6c-----after race 37c
Ian Knight 27t `X` on line 19.7c-------after race 35c

these 2 racers crash & throttle jam by being in the lower ranks of driving ,since we all know that the TOP drivers can make `ANYTHING` look good on there car ,but the lesser drivers is the real test for gadjets to be worth while

price for TCS system not as expensive as first thought ,i will find the proper price ltr ,it`s around the £110.00 mark (ish)
Old 12-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Pics

weight 45g (dry)

there is 2.6ml of fluid and is water based so it will not harm the carpet or electrics at all the tubing can be replaced if needed as a spare item

Car balence
most car (nearlt all racing ones) add around 45-70g in lead & most of it is on the motor side to counter the the heavey batts we are being sold

Tubes are quite really a tight fit aswell

temp reading`s don`t lie
i took a couple of some really fast smooth racers & a couple of some crash & burn racers
as we all know crash & burn racers will make the motor hotter then the fast & smooth racers

Oh by the way i have one myself now for xmas (boy`s brought me one)

with tubes being everywhere ,no different then having all those electrical wires fron 2-3 fans trailing everywhere

you won`t get glitching from these tubes

AIRFLOW
most guys have it like the pic layout
but mine will be up front
cut a pocket out in bumper for it to sit back against the front bulkhead ,air will flow up through there no probs
nearly all you guy`s cut the rear Valence out up high to get the air out of the car ,so there must be air flow inside yes/no??

Comparison
i think this is a better gadjet then the MM peltier Motor cooler ,when this was released it was £100.00 ,this TCS (bar £25.00 ish) is a better prospect

Attached Thumbnails Keep it Cool-dscf0122.jpg  

Last edited by MR JOLLY; 12-23-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Adept

Jolly,

Cos the motor is spacer further out. Do you have to use long boss pinions??

Thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by adyb
Jolly,

Cos the motor is spacer further out. Do you have to use long boss pinions??

Thanks
on the BD ,TAMIYA NO

Also on where the motor gets hot lark (27t/19t spec)
the magnets are the culprits for your motors going soft during racing ,
when the mags get to a certain temp then they lose there zip thus the magnet zapper comes in to play (which loads of racers can`t afford or have access too)

this TCS takes the heat away from the mags quicker & better then fans do ,

yes the Rad does come of warm which shows it`s working
Old 12-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

here`s a few pics of what you get in the box

This includes the motor screws & sticky tape,zip ties
Attached Thumbnails Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-014.jpg   Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-016.jpg   Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-017.jpg   Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-015.jpg  
Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default In the car

spent about a hour to get it in

some things rushed !!IE: foam cut out on bumper
But other then that really straigth forward

Also you get colour pics in the instructions aswell on 2 cars (007,Tamiya 415)
Attached Thumbnails Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-024.jpg   Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-020.jpg   Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-025.jpg   Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-021.jpg   Keep it Cool-oksana-monthly-atc-swap-dec-019.jpg  

Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

just another con to empty your pockets, i will stick with my fans and freezer TBO
Old 12-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TAMIYAMANUK
just another con to empty your pockets, i will stick with my fans and freezer TBO
yeah that`s what i thought too
But it works ,still if your gear your motor right in the first place then you won`t need fans or coolers would you
i still think this about the pielter MM thingy that was £100 a pop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.