Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone roadrace motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Anyone roadrace motorcycles?

I am finding it difficult to alter my way of thinking about driving the RC electric Touring Car away from roadracing motorcycles. And it is making driving a bit difficult (and I hope it does not hurt my roadracing).

Sure there are a lot of similarities but there are a lot of differences too. What are your thoughts?

cheers, Katsu

Last edited by cyber3d; 10-20-2006 at 12:14 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I did many years ago. The same principles apply going around the track, although I find r/c a little easier to recover from. What kinda differences are you talking about?

Kevin
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

One of my other hobbies is track days on the GSXR (Pacific Raceway, PIR, and Spokane). I enjoy both equally.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

It's the same in real life also, driving a car through a turn and a motorcycle are very different. Besides a little trail braking you have to do all your braking before a turn on a bike, with a car you can be fast braking into the turn...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Besides a little trail braking you have to do all your braking before a turn on a bike, with a car you can be fast braking into the turn...
Not completly true... in bike racing you want to keep your forks in compression so that you have the best turn-in (smallest rake) and most weight on your front tire. In most cases (tighter turns - not sweepers), you are trail-braking right to the apex and using smooth on-throttle power out. Letting off the brake too quickly - or too early unsettles the bike and takes away steering. Watch Valentino Rossi or Nicky Hayden in a turn, the back of their bikes almost leave the ground... and not just in the entry point - also right up to the apex.

As for the difference, yes, I do race my bike on the track and I have found that some of the principles apply - except braking. Imagine going through the turns the same as you do on your bike, except without braking unless its a really sharp (i.e. 90-deg) and you want to use brakes to keep speed right to the apex.

Entry speed, Turn-in, Apex, and Exit principles all apply. You can still break your turn into 4 points in RC - they just happen a heck of alot faster.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyber3d
I am finding it difficult to alter my way of thinking about driving the RC electric Touring Car away from roadracing motorcycles. And it is making driving a bit difficult (and I hope it does not hurt my roadracing).

Sure there are a lot of similarities but there are a lot of differences too. What are your thoughts?

cheers, Katsu
about the same principles, at least you dont break as many bones I raced about 10 years ago , I races the CCS before I turned pro then it happen one good crash and 4 surgeries later, I got a r/c car.

If you want to improve your roadracing start racing dirt tracks , there is nothing in the world that is as much fun as outbraking someone into a corner sliding the rear wheel and passing them in the inside (asphalt ofcourse)
Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
about the same principles, at least you dont break as many bones I raced about 10 years ago , I races the CCS before I turned pro then it happen one good crash and 4 surgeries later, I got a r/c car.

If you want to improve your roadracing start racing dirt tracks , there is nothing in the world that is as much fun as outbraking someone into a corner sliding the rear wheel and passing them in the inside (asphalt ofcourse)
Supermoto ...
Old 10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by duckman996
Supermoto ...
you mean supermotard? dirt bike with slicks!!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Old 10-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

you mean supermotard? dirt bike with slicks!!
Bahhh TOmato TAmato....

But yes I meant Supermotard
Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I do trackdays on my RC51... completely different method of trackriding and R/C racing. I go all out on the R/C track and much more careful on the racetrack. I'm not very good at either but, I sure enjoy both hobbies! Check out the link below for pics and stuff.

http://www.lowaltitudepilots.com/php...opic.php?t=116
Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Runin Ronin
I do trackdays on my RC51... completely different method of trackriding and R/C racing. I go all out on the R/C track and much more careful on the racetrack. I'm not very good at either but, I sure enjoy both hobbies! Check out the link below for pics and stuff.

http://www.lowaltitudepilots.com/php...opic.php?t=116
hey those knee pucks look brand new! how about a scrape or 2
Old 10-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hey those knee pucks look brand new! how about a scrape or 2
never said I was good... but, there are a few more scrapes on the pucks since these were taken a few months ago