R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   bad Diff balls (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/133688-bad-diff-balls.html)

streetracer745 10-19-2006 06:05 PM

bad Diff balls

my front ball diff keeps coming loose. i want to get a front oneway, but dont have the money right now. i was wondering if anyone knew a way to make a ball diff solid. and if not, how to make it stop coming loose after nearly every run. any good options?

drew85 10-19-2006 07:12 PM

jb weld

streetracer745 10-19-2006 07:24 PM

i know jb weld is strong, but how long will it last if i use it. and will it be bad for my axles or anything?

Jimmy Morris 10-19-2006 07:33 PM

Take the balls out and spray the pulley all out with motor spray or something, and then just tighten the piss out of it with sand paper rings between the pulley and outdrives. Now you have a kinda spool.

Joel Lagace 10-19-2006 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by streetracer745
i know jb weld is strong, but how long will it last if i use it. and will it be bad for my axles or anything?

Running a oneway is only hard on your CVDS when u hit stuff.
Running a spool is always hard on your CVDS and especially when u hit stuff. The whole spool setup is a very stressfull one on the whole front drive line.

streetracer745 10-19-2006 07:56 PM

i know a 1way isnt good for the car all the time, but i wasnt sure about solids. how will it be on my gears? and i just got hardened front axles about a month ago and have hardly run on them, so do you think they could take the stress for about a month or 2?

Joel Lagace 10-19-2006 08:05 PM

A oneway is fine on the car when the car is not hitting walls. But the solid is hard on the front end all the time, the left and right wheels are fighting each other to rotate at different speeds but cannot becuase there is no diff action. Hitting a wall is eve worse

streetracer745 10-19-2006 08:14 PM

well im planning on solely drifting untill i get a oneway because right now my steering always turns to crap after about 10 laps and it messes me up badly. in drifting both tires are typically turning the same speed. but having a 1way helps you exit turns faster because it makes both wheels turn the same speed and you can get slidding easier. im wondering if hardened, solid front axles will do ok with a solid front diff for about 2 months. and will my gears survive?

GrandeGixxer 10-19-2006 09:11 PM

What kind of car is it? Is there any chance that you may have it installed backwards? This may cause it to loosen up. Just something to check.

streetracer745 10-20-2006 01:12 PM

its a yok sd black special. its installed the right way. or else front and back are wrong and my motor is runnign in reverse for some reason cause i know the plugs are right. the diff itself is about a year old. and its missing a few tension balls in it....... but i want a oneway for better handleing, not just to replace this diff unit. but will the solid front diff mess up my gears or anything? will it cause my gears to strip or something to crack??? thats all im asking. not how to fix it. thanks for the advice though

streetracer745 10-20-2006 01:34 PM

so is it going to strip my gears if i make it solid?

Jam-ehz 10-20-2006 01:43 PM

Being shaft drive, any shock will go right through the drive train, from the diff gears to the crown gears on the shaft to even the spur gear/pinion.. just make sure the meshing doesn't leave too much space.

I have no experience with Yokomo products, but my TB-02 always stripped crown gears when I hit stuff with a one-way.. I'm sure the Yok system is much more solid.. I know people with Evo IV's go through spur gears as a result of everything else being so solid.

If you stick with steel drive axles, I can't see anything really going wrong with them. Are the diffs plastic or metal?

Diffs come loose because the thrust bearing isn't smooth enough to keep the screw from turning. Make sure it's ultra-clean (soaked in spray for a while), and then pack it full of heavy grease, AE Black or tamiya anti-wear. Also, make sure the diff screw is totally clean.. sometimes when putting the screw back through the greased thrust bearing, grease will transfer to the screw.
Also, thoroughly clean the nut with cleaner.. if the rubber ring has any grease in it, it'll shift too.

You may need to buy new nuts, depending on how old they are..

I mistakenly tried to threadlock the nut on once, thinking it was the nut's problem.. Nope, it was a gritty thrust bearing, and eventually it siezed, and since there was nothing left to turn freely, the diff screw snapped in half.

Break-in is important too, so you don't tighten the screw too much, which may defeat the freeness of the thrust.

streetracer745 10-20-2006 02:17 PM

i have solid steel axles. brand new too so they have no stress put through them yet. the car itself is extreemly solid. the only problem is my front diff which i said earlier. its graphite gears. thrust balls might not be extreemly clean but i layered them in grease that came with the kit. and all my other stuff is clean. im not going to have a chance to hit anything other then a small rock because im nto going to the track for a while. i also run a hollow graphite drive shaft, which i really dont want to break because its the nicest one i can get for this car. basically everything on the drivetrain is graphite except for my CVDs. they are all hardend solid ones.

AM03GT 10-20-2006 02:47 PM

if the diff outdrives are fine, why not buy a diff rebuild kit and just rebuild it with fresh innards? sounds to me if your diff loosens itself whle running something isnt right... the bolt is stripped, or the nut, or the rings are horribly grooved, etc... making a spool would not help matters especially if you are drifting w/ a shaft drive car... a spool will only lock up the front making it necessary to use more throttle to maintain a drift... a one-way would be more ideal when you can upgrade to one...

streetracer745 10-20-2006 03:20 PM

well i dont want to spend money on a rebuild kit when im trying to save money for a 1way. plus it will only be a month or 2. and as long as it wont strip my gears or mess up my drivetrain then i will do it just to stop the annoyance off the loosening diff. so will it strip my gears or not?