Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future??? >

Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quantum
martin crisp ran one set of rubber for 19t all weekend at last years iic (and won). in extreme traction conditions, you even glue the sidewall or use used tires to reduce traction roll.
I'm having trouble believing this, did he actually tell you directly? Because everywhere I have run rubber tires on medium to high traction carpet or asphalt (not that I really ever run rubber tires.... LOL ), a used tire is going to make more traction than a new tire. Reason being, as a tire gets more heat cycles and compound cycles the tire breaks down from the compound, which is what compound does, it softens the rubber by breaking it down and making more grip. So after a few runs the tire is significantly softer from the rubber being broken down making a worn out tire have more traction. This is a little different though on low traction, but that's not what we're talking about. But it is true gluing the sidewalls will take away side bite. But a fresh set of tires will always traction roll less than a used set.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoelNavarro
I dont see why there aren't more carpet tracks around?? A lot more traction than asphalt, and rubber tires last you a looooooong time if your car is set up right. Its the way to go!
Because the paying rates for rent in California is retarded

The air in CA sucks too....as well as the girl/boy ratio California is not what it's cut out to be (atleast our part of it)
Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Because the paying rates for rent in California is retarded

The air in CA sucks too....as well as the girl/boy ratio California is not what it's cut out to be (atleast our part of it)
You just need to stay off of the Castro in San Francisco Daniel....

LMAO!

IT'S A JOKE! OK!!!! LOL
Old 10-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FYI, T.O.P. have a range of "carpet" Rubbers,

http://www.top-racing.jp/showProduct...&ProductID=165

C-SERIES (FOR CARPET TRACKS OR OILY TRACKS)
NMUS-014C10 NoMark C10 10th Scale Touring Car Slick Tires (4 pcs)
NMUS-014C20 NoMark C20 10th Scale Touring Car Slick Tires (4 pcs)
NMUS-014C30 NoMark C30 10th Scale Touring Car Slick Tires (4 pcs)
Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Advil
LOL
Old 10-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Tech Champion

If you run foams you can expect coning,chunking and a lot more head scratching on your gear ratio.

If you run rubber you can notice a performance drop off after a few runs but dont have to worry about your gear ratio.

I prefer a rubber control tyre indoors as it stays a consistant size and if everyone else keeps with the same set of tyres you're going to have no one with an advantage.

Foams are good, but the softer compounds chunck quickly if youre a little heavy handed on one corner, or into anything else for that matter!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
The arguement of rubber being slower then foam is pointless. ITs like saying stock is slower then mod. Those are 2 different classes. And the fact is there is speed differences.

Rubber on a whole at the club level should be cheaper as most can run a long time on them. Luckily guys locally dont drop there money on fresh tires weekly to beat the same guys they beat every week with old tires.
Exactly. So what if their slower, if your all running the same tire, it still boils down to chassis and driving. There's always a big budget guy out there that will buy a set a week to maintain a slight advantage. Which in turn will trigger another guy to do the same. This is the same kind of guy that will discourage a small budget guy from trying it because "you won't be fast on old tires". Rubber touring car has been very succesful in Ft Wayne, IN. Partly do to our fast guys adopting the idea and actually enjoying it.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

One of the major reasons there are diehard foam people in the upper levels of racing is because they can get a foam tire sponsor very easily. When was the last time anybody saw somebody with a rubber tire sponsor in the US.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Bingo.

Doesn't matter if it is carpet racing or asphalt racing - same issue applies.

-Rich

Originally Posted by robk
If you don't race with crazy people who are always on new tires you may never notice it. If you do, the problem becomes apparent quickly. Then it's just as big of a money pit as foam.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil

LMAO!

IT'S A JOKE! OK!!!! LOL
hmmm ...funny how YOU know the places to stay away from

LMAO!

IT'S A JOKE! OK!!!! LOL
Old 10-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

See the real reason I really like Rubber/Carpet is I don't need a whole different car, I can use my Asphalt specific chassis that will work well on rubber/carpet racing.
I don't need a whole new set of heavier springs, lower blocks, and on and on...
My asphalt car is my carpet car saving me $$$ and letting me spend more time on tuning the car than truing my foam/roll out caculations...Although I kind of enjoy it for 12th scale so I feel you guys on foams..
But for time being it is was cheaper to run rubber than foam if your area is light on carpet tracks..Like here in SoCal....Only two and they aren't that close to where I live.
-Shookie <><
Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

from my personnal experience. back in 2002, a near 1-mil+ $ indoor facility opened in Tuscon, AZ (still open). to keep new racers from getting scared and keep it simple, the shop decided to do rubber in stock and foam in mod. i ran the rubber until we had guys who bought RTR TC3's that had foams on them were allowed to run. we complained and were told the class would be mixed because the RTR's had foams and didn't want to buy different tires off the bat. All jumped to foams. on sedan, i was one of many who didn't like them, the set-ups online didn't help and wasn't used to what it takes to run on carpet fast. most were traction rolling, massive oversteer, etc. i was against foams on carpet. i ended up having to hunker down, work on my car and radio settings. but back them the FT-TC3 and XXX-S Graphite were ran on carpet or asphalt.

alot of carpet tracks, most recently due to sedan racer demand... run rubber.
some even make everyone run the same tires (spec). from what i have heard some racers say, they beleive, that's the reason the european drivers are so successful lately on asphalt and carpet...it's because they run the same car on both surfaces and run predominately rubber tires: rain or shine, hot or cold weather indoors/outdoors.

rubber tires
- you can basicly run the same car on both carpet and asphalt
- one can basicly use the same set-up you would use on asphalt
- setup stays the same due to tire size staying the same
- gives the perception of equalness, fairness, and cheaper racing
- depending on the carpet type, even thought tires aren't worn to the belt,
those who change out rubber with the same frequency as if one was
running foams will still fair the best
- cars run overall slower due to lower corner speeds, they drift more

foam tires
- these days it really helps to have a carpet specific sedan
- car set-up is more critical and needs changes as tires wear, causing more
work in this area.
- many have issues getting their cars to handle due to lack of experience
- gives the perception of being labor extensive and costly
- tires wear away, chunk, etc.
- cars run slightly faster, with the wrong set-up can be a nightmare to drive

i currently prefer foams for carpet, and rubber for asphalt. i recently have gone to a asphalt track that runs foam tires on 19T sedan class (no other electric sedan classes). beside tire wear, it is a blast and fast. the 19T cars with foams turn more laps than the nitro sedans. foams on electric?...reason why...well, i asked because some run both classes nitro & electric, and don't want to have to deal with different types of tires. they also don't use Jaco, TRC, Parma tires, that can be $14-$21. they all run the shore rated nitro tires they get for less than $9.00 a pair. my first race there with them i ran rubber and got my butt handed to me, showed the next time and ran foams....i handed it back

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 10-20-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
hmmm ...funny how YOU know the places to stay away from

LMAO!

IT'S A JOKE! OK!!!! LOL
Yeah but you're the one that told ME!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Like someone else said this is pointless.

I raced with Martin Crisp weekly. He has worked very hard and has the talent to go with it. It's great to beat him as well. It's not easy.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Default from a sponsored drivers post about IIC vegas 06

In pre-race testing, used tires produced faster lap times so that is what we went with - breaking in a set of tires in practice and using the same set throughout qualifying.

We later learned that others were using new tires in every round, and in the low traction conditions, new tires were faster over the course of a 5 minute run. This slight mistake cost us dearly but we are confident that the car will win rubber races in the near future.

imagine the cost of that? this is where the Reedy/Tamiya controlled tire format sounds the best. using only tires sold at the event and limiting the amount sold to each driver.. even though this can worked around by drivers unless they are serial #ed to the driver and teched after each heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.