Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future??? >

Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Agreed
Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

To me rubber tires will never take over on carpet because at least in my area almost every racer has some sort of foam tire deal so why would they want to run rubber tires. I would think at alot of tracks that the top guys have some sort of tire deal for foams but almost no one has rubber tires deal thus guys will not want to run rubbers as much.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
To me rubber tires will never take over on carpet because at least in my area almost every racer has some sort of foam tire deal so why would they want to run rubber tires. I would think at alot of tracks that the top guys have some sort of tire deal for foams but almost no one has rubber tires deal thus guys will not want to run rubbers as much.
I'm re-posting wyd's post. In case anyone is wondering, he explains why foam tires are $12-15/pair. For every tire you pay for full price, the manufacturer or distributor gives away one tire.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by adamge
I'm re-posting wyd's post. In case anyone is wondering, he explains why foam tires are $12-15/pair. For every tire you pay for full price, the manufacturer or distributor gives away one tire.
Don't worry, The rubber tire manufacturers give their stuff away too, just not here in the US. Plus twelve to fifteen dollars a pair is still no worse than $30 bucks a set for pre-mounts.

Not too long ago, (2 or so years), I was a pretty competitive racer in stock at a few of the most competitive carpet tracks in the country, one of which was the GATE. I could get two full weekends and usually 2 or three practice runs on week 3 outta one set of CYAN/Magentas at the Gate. Lap times were consistent from the first run to the last. Now, I don't race nearly as much as I used to back then, but I really doubt that foams are wearing at a much more accelerated rate than they did then. Carpet's the same, tires are the same, and still using Paragon, but now the cars are better. So why does all this mythical tire wear occur? SIMPLE, Normally the cars that eat foams, are complete rolling bags, that would degrade a rubber tire just as quickly, if not faster.

Doesn't matter what tire you run, if your car sucks, it will eat tires.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If Jaco indeed releases a rubber tire intended for carpet, presumably their team drivers will get a good deal on them. Will that spark more interest in rubber racing?

I'm on the fence. I like the fact that I know foams are going to be fast and consistent each run, until they're done. With rubber, I'm never quite sure until after my lap times start to suffer, though that may just be inexperience on my part.

I covet the reduced maintenance of rubber tires for sure, but I sure can get a lot of life out of my foams at the club level.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

We are going to be releasing a line of rubber tires that will work on carpet and asphalt. They will be available through all our current distribution channels and that fact alone should make access easier and pricing competitive.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
We are going to be releasing a line of rubber tires that will work on carpet and asphalt. They will be available through all our current distribution channels and that fact alone should make access easier and pricing competitive.
Hi Jack,

When do you think we will see them at the Distributors? 4th quarter? 1st quarter next year?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
If Jaco indeed releases a rubber tire intended for carpet, presumably their team drivers will get a good deal on them. Will that spark more interest in rubber racing?

I'm on the fence. I like the fact that I know foams are going to be fast and consistent each run, until they're done. With rubber, I'm never quite sure until after my lap times start to suffer, though that may just be inexperience on my part.

I covet the reduced maintenance of rubber tires for sure, but I sure can get a lot of life out of my foams at the club level.
well i dont know if it makes a difference but when i road race motorcycles we always set up the bike with tires scuff tires, the tires had few laps on them (about 8 laps) that way when you started the race with new tires you knew how the bike was going to handle a a few laps into the race, i you watch moto gp you will notice that the laps get faster and faster after 8 laps or so. just my $.02 (which is not worth much )
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
There won't be a reduction in maintenance, the maintenance will just change in its' focus. Rather than truing tires, you'll be repairing/replacing CVD's and outdrives, due to the added wear that a spool or one way introduces. I always found that diffs last much longer on Foams than on rubber, (a side-effect of the increased Rotating Mass of rubber perhaps?). I'd much rather swap a pinion, and change droop, then tear apart a diff, one way, cvd or spool.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Jack, will these be simialr to the old capped sedan tires?

Those were by far, the best rubber tire ever. Extremely consistent from batch to batch, pre-mounted, and they flat-out worked better than just about everything else out there. Plus, they were on yellow spoked wheels, which made 'em look cool.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
well i dont know if it makes a difference but when i road race motorcycles we always set up the bike with tires scuff tires, the tires had few laps on them (about 8 laps) that way when you started the race with new tires you knew how the bike was going to handle a a few laps into the race, i you watch moto gp you will notice that the laps get faster and faster after 8 laps or so. just my $.02 (which is not worth much )
Yeah Haga was getting fast at Monza after the 1st bunch of laps like you mentioned. It was crazy to watch the guys on cycles get faster every lap even with tires wearing out. Those guys can wheel a motorcycle.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

They are not the capped tires. These are pre-mounted belted rubber tires with inserts. We expect to have these on the shelves in 30-60 days.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Yeah Haga was getting fast at Monza after the 1st bunch of laps like you mentioned. It was crazy to watch the guys on cycles get faster every lap even with tires wearing out. Those guys can wheel a motorcycle.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

They are not the capped tires. These are pre-mounted belted rubber tires with inserts. We expect to have these on the shelves in 30-60 days.
Thanks Jack.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks Jack.

Do you have part numbers yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.