R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #16
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have never had issues traction compound causing chunking. However I have had issues with hitting walls and the fenders pushing in and taking their fair share of chunks. What I did was get a rpm ntc3 wide bumper plate and the rubber bushings for it (you can make some or buy the associated ntc3 bumper), and a p-dub wide foam bumper. Now when I hit something the body doesn't cave in as much because of the bumper, and as a bonus I haven't broken a front end part since this time last year. It costs a total of about $30 and I guarntee that I have saved at least that much. Anyways, if you hit the boards a couple of times a heat I would give it a try.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:47 AM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Rounding the edges helps tremendously too.
Team Horizon-Team Spektrum-Tekno-Kyosho*B-FAST R/C Performance*TQ Racing Wire Products-TNT-FX.COM-Avid RC-Dynamite-*AKA*92Zero Design*
1fastdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #18
Tech Champion

The trouble with foam tyres is you only need to clip someone who has a cracked bodyshell and bingo,theyve shredded a foam up for you

the rounding off idea is good advice though,as well as keeping out of the way of those track barriers that jump out in front of your car..... i'd have a word with the race organiser about them....
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by adamge
Is there any way to put an end to foam tire chunking? I'm running a FT TC4 on a fairly tight track, some kind of ozite-like racing carpet, and Speedmind Hybrid 2 foam tires. I'm seeing a chunk lost from the outer edge of my front tires about once every two races. Is there a way to stop this? More camber? Change camber link angle? Change caster angle?

Hi adamge

the best way to stop tires from chunking is to check them after each run to see if they are starting to tare away from the rims... If they are then use an impact adhesive to glue it. The other reason tires chunk is because you are applying addative to close to the edge of the tire..
You have to watch the TechnoViking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjkI4
bs6ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #20
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
Regarding the traction compound (Jack t Gripper), does applying it to the outside of the front tires make me more likely to chunk or less likely? I was applying it to the outside both races.
I have always doped from the inside of the tire, and never doped all the way across the face of the tire. This will allows me to tune how much push I want in the front of the car. The outside edge of today's foam tires is a different compound rubber for that reason.
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote