R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   best stock motor to run (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/133022-best-stock-motor-run.html)

mad-quick 10-14-2006 05:20 PM

best stock motor to run

any help would be great i am going to be running at horsham,pa

1armed1 10-14-2006 05:24 PM

what class and what's the track like?

Kropy 10-14-2006 05:35 PM

CO27 :nod:

Team Speedy 10-14-2006 08:47 PM

We have a forum in the racing section of Rc Tech. Go to that and look for "Horsham Rc Racing 2006-2006" or something along the line of that.

By the way, Epic CO27 is what most "fast" guys run.

chicagokenji 10-14-2006 09:15 PM

prep

Besides which stock motor to run...what about regular maintenance of the stock motors we already own. Here's what I do....anything else I might add to help?

Visually inspect commutator thru a brush hood. If the comm looks like it's worn I do this:

pull motor apart, take armature out, take off washers/shims
spray endbell and can with motor spray
cut comm
use xacto in grooves
spray armature/comm with motor spray
lubricate openings in bushings
loosen brush hoods
use Trinity's brush hood alignment tool, then tighten hoods back down
replace worn brushes with new ones
put motor back together
run motor for about 3 minutes at 3volts
place motor back into vehicle

anything I might add or take away from this routine?

F. Mendoza 10-14-2006 10:25 PM

I use a ball point pen on the grooves just before the xacto knife. It helps round the corners a bit to prevent brushes from chipping every third of a turn of comm. Then a toothbrush between xacto knife process and spraying clean the debrise. Hope it helps. :)

pro4_chris 10-15-2006 06:58 PM

I do not suggest running a ballpoint pen down the comm slots after cutting a comm. This will deform the edges of the comm plates, reducing the surface area that the brushes have to contact. This results in a reduced charge of each segement. :eek: :( :weird:

tfrahm 10-15-2006 09:14 PM

I agree: Do NOT run a ball point pen down the comm slots!

doing this rolls the edges down, making the effective slot width greater, and is a bad performance move...

I understand that the slot edges can be a potential source of chipped brush edges, but there is a better way:

Something I learned from Big Jim: After you are done cutting the comm, CAREFULLY use an xacto knife to clean debris out of the slots, then -- use a soft pink eraser (Pink Pearl / Ruby) to LIGHTLY "buff" the comm surface to polish the slot edges. The side bonus is that the buffed comm seems to reseat the brushes a bit quicker...

MR JOLLY 10-16-2006 12:40 AM

Ball point pen is so `last` year

knife blade (don`t cut your self or slip) or
use a piece of cut Header card from your parts bit`s ,just strong enough to clean out groove but if you slip it doesn`t damage the comm or your fingers

cut the header card up into loads a little squares once you used all 4 corners throw away get some more
yokomo headers are very good
cheap way of doing it (what a tight wad) :lol:

brad151 10-16-2006 04:01 AM

ball point pen issue??

buy the time you run the brushes in those edges will square up, I think pen is ok.Just dont push hard.

bvoltz 10-16-2006 07:25 AM

On the topic of hood alignment, I do not care if the hood is aligned straight across, I'm more concerned about the hood allowing all 4 corners of the brush to touch the comm. I align my hoods to do this. Yes I use an alignment tool to move the hood in order to achieve an even wear pattern for the 4 corners.

F. Mendoza 10-16-2006 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by tfrahm

doing this rolls the edges down, making the effective slot width greater, and is a bad performance move...

I understand that the slot edges can be a potential source of chipped brush edges, but there is a better way:

Something I learned from Big Jim: After you are done cutting the comm, CAREFULLY use an xacto knife to clean debris out of the slots, then -- use a soft pink eraser (Pink Pearl / Ruby) to LIGHTLY "buff" the comm surface to polish the slot edges. The side bonus is that the buffed comm seems to reseat the brushes a bit quicker...

So let the chips fall. I guess chipped or broken brushes must be better than decreasing contact patch by .005 of an inch. :confused: Most guys that I know still use pens. :)

BuddyB 10-16-2006 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tfrahm

I have used a ball point pen for years, and no problems. I agree with stratus racer :D

seaball 10-17-2006 06:28 PM

phalopia!

DaveW 10-18-2006 08:00 PM

For stock and 19T, using a ball point pen decreases effective timing for each segment of commutator to the leading edge of each brush. Its just like knocking off both edges of the brushes... you lose performance. YES the ballpoint pen trick is great for longevity, but for performance, it is a definite NO.