R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Which one will u get? Trinity's new Discharger or MM CTX-D2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/132650-one-will-u-get-trinitys-new-discharger-mm-ctx-d2.html)

straightaway 10-11-2006 01:23 PM

Which one will u get? Trinity's new Discharger or MM CTX-D2

Which one will u get? Trinity's new Discharger or MM CTX-D2. If money were not a concern.

($210 is a lot of money but MM stuff keep its value pretty good. So $210 vs. $120, its about 1.5 packs of good battery not a big deal if you think about it.)

One of the guy at the track opened up a Trinity's new discharger, DPD. There is only two or three wire connections to the battery contact posts. Not every contact post has wire to it. So I am questioning the claim of the Trinity discharger. Has anyone opened up a CTX D2?

Thanks for your input.

or8ital 10-11-2006 01:25 PM

Integy is coming out with a similar product as well but it will be a couple of months.

XrayFK 10-11-2006 01:28 PM

The Trinity DPD doesn't actually pulse discharge each cell individually as it seems, it's literally a Dynapulse and equalizing tray in one unit.
The CTX-D is more expensive, but as with many things, you get what you pay for. ;)

quantum 10-11-2006 05:19 PM

so my question is... does a dynapulse benefit your packs? if so, how? cause if it does, i might still buy one.... i would rather have each cell individually discharged, but you get what you pay for and ... this might be all i can pay for :blush:

Jochim_18 10-11-2006 05:28 PM

Read this thread I started it will give you info between Trinity DPD, MM CTX-D, Teamwave Lightning discharger.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127192

XrayFK 10-11-2006 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by quantum
so my question is... does a dynapulse benefit your packs? if so, how? cause if it does, i might still buy one.... i would rather have each cell individually discharged, but you get what you pay for and ... this might be all i can pay for :blush:

I used to use a Spintec BatMan, and the rapid pulse discharging improved the numbers of cells, especially with older packs.
With the DPD, I believe what it does is Dynapulse the entire pack (in a series, not each cell individually) then when one cell hits the cutoff voltage, it switches to a 5A linear.

TheCoolCanFanMan 10-12-2006 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Read this thread I started it will give you info between Trinity DPD, MM CTX-D, Teamwave Lightning discharger.

Hi
This link does not seem to be working :confused:
Cheers Malc TCCFM

XrayFK 10-12-2006 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Hi
Cheers Malc TCCFM

Boosta 10-12-2006 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Hi
Cheers Malc TCCFM

Hi Malc
which one are you going for the trinity or the much more? :confused:
i reckon i'm going to grab the much more personally.

Boosta 10-12-2006 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Boosta
Hi Malc
which one are you going for the trinity or the much more? :confused:
i reckon i'm going to grab the much more personally.

check that i'm going to wait and see what the integy 090 is like specs look good :D

Joel Lagace 10-12-2006 04:42 AM

About the 30amp pulse on the pack vs the each cell.... Does it truelly matter that its 30amps on the pack vs the cell when all 6 cells are above .9v? I mean what benefit would it have? As it drops off cells into 5amp liniar do u really need to be hitting them at 30amps for that last couple of hundred mah?

The way i look at it is they pulse the pack as a whole till the cells are almost dumped and it switches to 5amp to ensure a deap and complete discharge and equilization...

Anyway flame away! :)

ITs a 120 tray vs a 400+ turbo matcher.

dodgeguy 10-12-2006 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
About the 30amp pulse on the pack vs the each cell.... Does it truelly matter that its 30amps on the pack vs the cell when all 6 cells are above .9v? I mean what benefit would it have? As it drops off cells into 5amp liniar do u really need to be hitting them at 30amps for that last couple of hundred mah?

The way i look at it is they pulse the pack as a whole till the cells are almost dumped and it switches to 5amp to ensure a deap and complete discharge and equilization...

When each cell is discharged on its own. You will see if you have a bad cell. Our how well you matched pack is not so matched. :nod:

ghuber 10-12-2006 06:49 AM

Go with the DPD... :nod:

quantum 10-12-2006 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace

its a pretty important difference - with the dpd discharging as a whole, it switches to 5A linear mode as soon as the first cell hits 0.9v... so the rest of the pack does not get as deep a discharge. also you are viewing the stats of each cell as the whole pack discharges, not as it discharges individually. "pack data", as opposed to cell data. that is hardly a turbomatcher. its a dynapulse and equalizing tray combined into one.

having said that, discharging the pack as a whole can still be good for the pack i think, and you can still pick out the weaker cells in a pack... but can't compare apples to oranges is all i'm sayin...

YR4Dude 10-12-2006 09:09 AM

I am the one who took the DPD apart. I did it because it kept giving me an error message when using the 30A pulse in the tray. I thought it might be a loose connection in the internals. Didn't find anything, put it back together and now it works. Must have been a pinched connection that got un-pinched when I took it apart and re-assembled it.

Anyways this is the big question. If there wasn't a set of leads connected to every connection, how does it give me per cell voltage reading? Someone please educate me because I thought that if the cells are discharged and measured individually, there should be a separate lead for each battery contact. Instead, I found only certain contacts connected only.

Here's another question, I just put in a new pack to discharge at the 30A pulse. After the first cell finished at the 30A pulse, the charge switched to 5A linear to finish of the rest of the cells, which took quite some time. In the end the results show the 5 remaining cells having more than triple the capacity of the cell that first discharged at 30A only because it stretched in time due to the 5A linear. This can't be correct. I seriously doubt the numbers generated by the DPD. :mad: