Wiki Posts
Search

Silicon density comparation chart

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Silicon density comparation chart

Hello Friends,

I have seen that there are many manufactures of silicon oil that use different units to measure the density, does any one know thye equivalence? so it will be easier to compare the asso, serpent, xray, losi, ... oils.

Thank you
Old 10-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default poop

there's not really good chart to use, because the data mostly sucks. i had used a nice Brookfield rheometer ($20K) to gather this data, and i was fairly disappointed. here are general conclusions for a few popular oils.

trinity is lightest and linear in steps
assoc and losi are similar and linear in steps
hudy/serpent is generally heavier and exponential in steps

all of the oils tested exibited crappy qc. we had some oils that were out of place in nearly every brand, eg.: 60 > 70.

my advice is to copy the brand on the setup, or if you are doing all your own tuning, get a few bottles of each weight and combine them. that way you will have enough of the same silicone oil for the life of the car.

- jr levitz -
Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
there's not really good chart to use, because the data mostly sucks. i had used a nice Brookfield rheometer ($20K) to gather this data, and i was fairly disappointed. here are general conclusions for a few popular oils.

trinity is lightest and linear in steps
assoc and losi are similar and linear in steps
hudy/serpent is generally heavier and exponential in steps

all of the oils tested exibited crappy qc. we had some oils that were out of place in nearly every brand, eg.: 60 > 70.

my advice is to copy the brand on the setup, or if you are doing all your own tuning, get a few bottles of each weight and combine them. that way you will have enough of the same silicone oil for the life of the car.

- jr levitz -
Hello Mr. Geotz,

Did you also check the Losi Certified shock oils. Are they the real deal?