R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Should Touring Car heats be more then 5 minutes? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/132243-should-touring-car-heats-more-then-5-minutes.html)

duckman996 10-08-2006 09:55 AM

Should Touring Car heats be more then 5 minutes?

With the advent of newer battery technology - Touring Cars can clearly run longer then the 5 minutes we are currently running ... should adjustments be made to allow for more run time? There is talk of going to 4-cells in Touring Cars due to the voltage concerns that today's batteries deliver. Would running longer (i.e. 6 - 8 minutes) not force us to gear our cars differently and therefore place less intensive wear on the motors?

RCSteve93 10-08-2006 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by duckman996
With the advent of newer battery technology - Touring Cars can clearly run longer then the 5 minutes we are currently running ... should adjustments be made to allow for more run time? There is talk of going to 4-cells in Touring Cars due to the voltage concerns that today's batteries deliver. Would running longer (i.e. 6 - 8 minutes) not force us to gear our cars differently and therefore place less intensive wear on the motors?

Definatly, I think there should be time for battery changes and tire changes. This would make it crazy fun to see who makes fastest pit stops.

BigBlock45R 10-08-2006 10:25 AM

:nod:

Corner Weight 10-08-2006 10:36 AM

Just when battery run time becomes a non-issue, you guy want to make it an issue again? (I'm talking about Mod) 19t could easily go longer, stock could probably go 10 minutes or more. Still, it's just going to favor the guys with better batteries, which isn't too good for helping the new guys.

WheelNut 10-08-2006 10:57 AM

Keep qualifiers at 5 mins and extend the length of the mains. Tons of clubs out there do this already. If you want to instigate change, start at your club. Eventually the majority of clubs will be doing it and then the big races will have to change.

EAMotorsports 10-08-2006 11:07 AM

For 1 it would make racing a battery (runtime) war again and two you would only be able to have about 100 entries at the national events.....and events like the snowbirds and IIC would have a lot less than they do now! Exactly the opposite of what RC Racing as a whole needs!!

EA

WheelNut 10-08-2006 11:22 AM

Club racing the foudnation of R/C racing. Anything that can increase participation at that level is good for the hobby, and the more club racers there are then there will be more people to go to the "big" races.

BTW- Nitro races have long mains, this doesn't seem to be a huge issue. Participation is very high.

Dasupacat1 10-08-2006 01:17 PM

At my local track we run 6 min. heats/mains with 19t motors. :D

ottoman 10-08-2006 01:19 PM

No...

stiltskin 10-08-2006 01:30 PM

I wouldn't care about 6-7 minute races. I just ran 3800's this past weekend for 10 minutes with no noticable fade at the end. However, I like the style of sprint racing that goes with racing electric. No chance to settle into a groove and then race for the final 2 minutes. All out, Balls to the wall!!!! :nod:

gee-dub 10-08-2006 01:59 PM

IMHO:

mod & novice (br/bl) = 5 minutes
19t & sportsman stock = 6 minutes
expert stock = 7 minutes

starting at the top (organizations) should stop focusing on the 1.3% of sponsored racers and manufacturers and look more to whats going to increase club attendance.

in regards to ea's post (whose opinion i respect but disagree with):
i could care less about what 2-3 'big' races do per year if 'most' local tracks adpot those same rules to run their club races the other 51 weeks. yes....tracks can make variations on rules, but many like to keep things simple and not get grief for deviating.

much like in any successful business, you put your money and focus primarily in growth areas. attracting new (novice/sportsman) racers is foremost what the rules should aim to accomplish.

[/r rant]

Scrubb 10-08-2006 02:09 PM

I don't think the people on rctech should be responsible for making a descision like how long races should be.

gee-dub 10-08-2006 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I don't think the people on rctech should be responsible for making a descision like how long races should be.

then who? is not the most democratic form of government "of the people"?

nomaak 10-08-2006 02:30 PM

sure why not....we spend more time discharging and traying our packs than acually USING them. i for one, am glad there's more players in the battery game. (li-po, Li-mn) :nod:

nomaak 10-08-2006 02:32 PM

which in turn can lead to longer races. (sry..hit the enter key) :sweat: