R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   4 cell mod tourer (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/132081-4-cell-mod-tourer.html)

DirtyDog3375 10-06-2006 08:48 PM

4 cell mod tourer

"Ask and you shall receive"...........just had a look on the Tamiya 416 thread and a few guys mentioned that maybe a 4 cell thread needs to be started. (not sure how serious it was but here it is).

Check out this thread for some details and what has been spoken or not spoken about (starts from about page 44 onwards)

LINK

Also, I have posted my initial findings with 4cell mod tourer. I am currently still testing 4 cell and will have more results soon.

Just wanted to share my limited experiences with others about 4 cell mod.

Today at our club meet, I ran 4 cell mod in one of the finals to see what it would be like against 6 cell mods using 7 and 8 turn motors.

Track:

For those who don't know the Brendale track, it is a large open asphalt track with a long back staright (predominately a nitro track). At the Winter Championships held a fortnight ago, Andrew Abbott, Andy Cooke and Anthony Atack all running times around 19 laps 5:13secs approx. with individual lap times between 15.9 to 16.1 secs. (my personal best on that day was 18 laps 5:06secs with a 16.1 sec fastest individual lap).

I am no means a "top" modified driver and do not wish to come across that way.

Testing so far:

Friday night - very indifferent results, trying to get gearing sorted out and also getting used to the way the car handles with 4 cells (tends to pull up and accelearte very quickly). After 5 runs with 4 cell mod (Checkpoint 7x1), the comm looked liked it had been just run in. The track layout we used that night was not the 'nationals' layout so don't know what the times were like. After racing, I felt that although it was much better on the comm, it was rather slow compared to what I normally run. (but that is to be expected running 4 cell).

Today - ran in the last final against 6 cell mods (with Anthony Atack posting a faster time than he did at the Winterchampioships 19 laps 5:09secs with a best lap of 16.0 secs) and my personal time and car speed was rather suprising to say the least. I would have posted a time around 18 laps 5:05 secs or slightly better, had I not crashed on the last 2 laps of the race!!! doh!!! My best lap in that run was 16.6sec. - which would have put me 4th or 5th at the Winterchamps!!! On the long back straight, it was about 2-3 car lengths slower than the mods going around. But everywhere else, it held its own against the 6 cell guys.

My car weighed in at 1440grams with the 4 cell. I used a Checkpoint 7x1 with 18 degrees of timing and ib4200shv cells. Also, worth noting, I had a micro Spektrum rx and personal transponder in and it never missed a lap or had any other issues. The motor temp came back at 50'C after the race (however, this might be higher on a hotter day).

As I said, I am not proclaiming to be a 'top' driver', I am just posting my results and findings for people to see. My posting is to be treated a informative and not to be taken as my vote or push towards a change in the current rules.

Over the next few months I will keep testing 4 cell mod at various tracks around Brisbane and post my findings here.

Regards,

Leonard Lai.

I hope this becomes an informative thread and not a flaming thread.

vtl1180ny 10-07-2006 07:56 AM

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4...ache9rmip6.jpg

:D!

RCSteve93 10-07-2006 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny

:ha: Honestly I dont really care. It will be cheaper on my part. It will also make passing easier and catching up to other racers harder.

Jochim_18 10-07-2006 07:21 PM

We might try it at my local club running 4 cell mod, Will see how it works.

Turtlemaster 10-08-2006 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375

I hope this becomes an informative thread and not a flaming thread.

that would be nice..

did you run a rcvr pack, we tried the 5 cell mod before and when battery got low we would lose steering on power

DirtyDog3375 10-08-2006 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
that would be nice..

did you run a rcvr pack, we tried the 5 cell mod before and when battery got low we would lose steering on power

No receiver pack used. I thought the specktrum would shut down and go into failsafe or the personal transponder would miss a lap, but it all worked out nicely.

MR JOLLY 10-08-2006 08:05 AM

I just had a post with P-dub about starting a 4 cell thread

but he said it all start again `CONFUSION`

But i will say this
BRCA (uk) ,EFRA body are going to pass this thing through for next year
Q) what is the point of this 4 cell idea ???
`Q)` is this for all classe`s
Q)is this just for Mod
Q) is this to replace 27t class (ie;;4cell 12t limit
Q) does this mean the x-ray 4 cell little car is the car to have :sneaky:
Q) No one gives a Shit to what the `Body`s` do with our hobby :lol:

Red question is most important

This thread will be big by the way :tire:

JayL 10-08-2006 09:43 AM

4-cell mod is pointless..
the only reason to go 4-cell is money and running mod = waaaay more money than any other class...

just run 19t 6 cell or run mod and don't complain about money

or give us more run time..we have been running 4-5mins since we had 1200's....

duckman996 10-08-2006 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JayL
4-cell mod is pointless..
the only reason to go 4-cell is money and running mod = waaaay more money than any other class...

just run 19t 6 cell or run mod and don't complain about money

or give us more run time..we have been running 4-5mins since we had 1200's....

Agreed... with today's batteries, there is no reason why we can't run 6-8 minute heats in 1/10 TC. It would cause people to gear accordingly which would reduce the stress on our motors due to SHV running to the motors.

MR JOLLY 10-08-2006 09:56 AM

If EFRA pass it ,BRCA UK will follow , then IFMAR & most proberly ROAR

But the question remains
Q) why is it being put into place ?? what`s the point

BRCA are talking of dropping 27t in nationals just to have 1 or 2 classe`s
And 4 cell is one of them (at the mo they have 27t/19t spec & open Mod )

so this will kill of the Tamiya starter cars for sure (they only take stick packs)

If no motor limit for 4 cell , then the guy`s will run 4-5 turn motors instead
what`s the point !!

DavidAlford 10-08-2006 09:58 AM

Slowing the cars down is stupid. Why even bother racing if your gonna slow it down? Mod is mod, its suppose to be fast and for the big boys.

tallyrc 10-08-2006 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by duckman996
Agreed... with today's batteries, there is no reason why we can't run 6-8 minute heats in 1/10 TC. It would cause people to gear accordingly which would reduce the stress on our motors due to SHV running to the motors.

and limit the mechanical traction via a harder spec tire.. if folks actually had to modulate the throttle a bit, the majority of the stress and amp draw (from hard acceleration) would be eliminated... it's not like 36r tires are drifters.. they may even grip better than 27's under certain conditions and last longer to boot.. so cost goes down...

EAMotorsports 10-08-2006 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by duckman996

yes and it would also create a Battery war of Runtime again.....something we havent had in a long time and its nice to not worry about runtime!!!

Those types of battery war's were the WORST of any!!!

EA

MR JOLLY 10-08-2006 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
yes and it would also create a Battery war of Runtime again.....something we havent had in a long time and its nice to not worry about runtime!!!

Those types of battery war's were the WORST of any!!!

EA

well according to the so called `Experts` over here there won`t be
they say capacity is the same ie;4200 it`s the volts that change

so no battery war (they say ,not me(
i think there will be aswell & £50 4 cell pk`s will appear :rolleyes:

EAMotorsports 10-08-2006 11:24 AM

Im not talking about 4 cell...Im talking about increasing race lengths.

EA