R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default novak gtx or keyence?

I'm in the process of replacing my old esc,So i like to have some imput from experience racers on novak gtx or keyence speed controllers.By the way ,I race 1/10 touring.
racer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to squarehead Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

You'll get lots of varied opinions on this, but I found personally that the Keyence was a pain in the arse to program and the buttons didn't hold up well. I have a Keyence Zero-V in a ziploc that just stopped working on my and
ruined a race weekend, that I haven't sent back yet.

Novak has been producing quality ESCs and electronics in the U.S. for the last 20-odd years, and have very good customer service. I don't think you can go wrong with big orange. Don't discount the Tekin G11pro or the new smaller ESC on the way from them, either.
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I've had a GTX in my JRXS forever. Runs great. Never had any problems with it, no matter how low turn a motor I run, no matter how hot it is. Super easy to set up.
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have tryed every speedo out there. the kayence is by far the smoothest
i disagree with the other guy
if you want the best costomer service go with lrp i have never had a single problem with anything i have purchased from lrp
as for novak every speed control i have had has failed brushless systems also.
i have a gt7 i used 2 times then it stoped working so i returned it.
novak set it back and said it was ok. so i put it in my pit box because i put a quantam 2 in to replace it
then 4 mos later i put the gt7 in a car and no power, i called novak and told them i never used it after it was returned, they said no luck its out of warrenty. lrp has life time, novak has 120 days. so the novak gt7 cost me $145 to use 2 days
now the gtx the only problem i have seen, the breaks fade real bad to almost no breaks when its hot!
it kind of hard to drive fast with out breaks, pipes and walls come up fast! just my problems i have had with orange! i would use kayance, lrp,or gm before i would wast my money on novak junk!
it just doesnt last! at least for me!
i have old v7.1 lrp's i still use and have run them for 4 years and still work great! good luck with the esc!
jakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Well so far i have had no trouble with my novaks, including brushless, but i did have an old v7.1 LRP that was just too big to hard to program and was slow with stock compared to the GTX. I have three GTXs, and they all made made my stock motors much faster compared to the LRP. I have yet to notice the brake fade of the GTX either. Novak does have great customer service in or out of warranty. I have yet to try a QC2 but if i ever have trouble i will try LRP again, but for now i am sticking with Novak. Just another opinion. Good Luck
Hockey 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have used the Novak GTX in my T/C's since the GTX came out. I have had nothing but a great experience with the GTX. I also like the Novak service dept, one of the best in the industry. Good Luck.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have 2 gtx's and a gt7. Absolutely no problems with any of them. The only problem I have had was with the brushless systems. And then it was the motors. The original magnets in the motors are not very good. But the speedo's are great.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

1 more vote for the GTX here.

Great speedo. Has everything you need and then some. I've had a couple LRP speedos and although I really liked them, they just don't deliver enough current through the BEC. Stick with Novak, you won't regret it.
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I got a GTX and a couple of QC2s with worlds kit.

Gotta say i prefer the GTX. Nice punchy speedie!!! Only bad thing i find about it is the size of the capacitor which comes with it, but there's no way im taking that off :P
Hot Bodies Cyclone!!!
www.rchobbies.com.au - www.feralbatteries.com.au
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #10
Tech Prophet
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have nothing but great things to say about Keyence. They are super adjustible do not need external caps or diodes and they run smooth and cool. The biggest issue with Keyence speedos have been the on/off switches and the lasts Rapida versions seem to have fixed that issue with improved switches. I have run 2 keyence speedo's for well over 4 years now with no issues. I have not heard a ton of issues with the GTX. It appears to be a great speedo as well.
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | Venom | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR Ten-SCTE 3.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 AM   #11
Tech Master

GTX...! The the best brush ESC to date and not to mention Novak's customer service is world class!
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 AM   #12
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if had both, and they re both awesome... full stop.
BOTH smooth, reliable and so on. really no issues with either
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #13
Tech Adept

For my indoor cars, I've had the GTX and I'm currently running the Keyence Rapida Pro. I'd give the Keyence the edge, it just feels punchier.

Outdoors, I'll only run an MRT MX Pro.
THancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:57 AM   #14
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Keyence

Keyence is the best kept secret in R\C
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Have them both, like them both, but the Keyence is the best for my M-04.. the crazy-low drive frequency selections and on-resistance gives the silver cans the most punch when I'm on carpet, and has pinpoint-accurate traction control when I'm outdoors.. it's taken many rollovers and whacks too, to the point where it's just dangling by the wires, and still keeps ticking..

Plus I love the no-cap no-diode ENSA deal...

I can't complain about my GTX either, it does take a bit less space and has worked flawlessly.. got it in a trade from my QC2, no regrets.. the BEC powers anything (same for the keyence) compared to the quantum, which glitched all the time, especially with a PT..
-=≡ Tamiya TA05 TRF415MSX F103R M-03R M-04 M-05 ≡=-
-=≡ CRC Carpet Knife 3.2 OFNA LD3 Pro Fastcats Spektrum ׀ווlı ≡=-
Jam-ehz is offline   Reply With Quote