Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
when is your motor comm to small? >

when is your motor comm to small?

when is your motor comm to small?

Old 10-04-2006, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the info, i appreciate both metric and standard sizes ")

Im just trying to avoid the smoke shows, wich i had a few of this summer. i just cut and cut without measuriing ill start to measure now. DNF's suck when ur leading!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Once they reach .270 it's time to toss 'em.

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
When do you guys toss out your stock motors?

Looking for a size at wich most guys will just toss the sucker out. To be specific Monster horsepower and CO27 motors.

Post your comm sizes

thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was wondering, How long do motors last if all neccessary maintenance are carried out after every race outing? How many packs of batteries? 3months, 1year or more?

Given the many advice found on this forum, like spring tension setting, gearing, changing of the brushes, hood alignment etc. Just how long will a motor last?

If by following the advice in the postings here, wont all this reduce the life of the comm faster? Do you guys buy motors regularly?

Just wondering.....
Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAY_UK
Usually when i put it on the lathe to true it and the copper peels off it, usually followed by " Oh sheeeeeeeet, now ive got to buy another one!"
haha i use this precise method of measuring too!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by need4speed
I was wondering, How long do motors last if all neccessary maintenance are carried out after every race outing? How many packs of batteries? 3months, 1year or more?

Given the many advice found on this forum, like spring tension setting, gearing, changing of the brushes, hood alignment etc. Just how long will a motor last?

If by following the advice in the postings here, wont all this reduce the life of the comm faster? Do you guys buy motors regularly?

Just wondering.....
there is no set time, it depends on the brushes used, the gearing being spot on all the time, how often the comm is skimmed to keep the performance up, how you drive and how much of a current you put through the motor (current limiter esc's).

All of these can determine how long a motor will last.

I am keen to see how my p2k2pro will be when its copper is just about to peel off though,should be demonly quick!!! ... knowing my luck that would be 4.5 minutes into the A when i'm doing the best i've done all season

Some people will skim their motor after every run,some will let it get black before they get it looked at,others dont even bother and wonder why its stopped working

It all depends how serious you want to go.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion