Step-charging - is it necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Step-charging - is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Step-charging - is it necessary?

I know this has probably been asked, but is step-charging really necessary? I mean, is there a real performance difference? Or it does matter even if it shortens the life of the battery since there will surely be new batteries coming out within 2 or 3 months. Danny of SMC says to use linear charging with no mention of step-charging. Any comments??
Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I went for the `flavour of the month` method
i now just use linnear @6 amp that`s it
Old 10-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vabroom
I know this has probably been asked, but is step-charging really necessary? I mean, is there a real performance difference? Or it does matter even if it shortens the life of the battery since there will surely be new batteries coming out within 2 or 3 months. Danny of SMC says to use linear charging with no mention of step-charging. Any comments??
In a word, no. I have used both types of charging platforms (linear and step) and have not experienced any real differences in battery performance. Maybe for GP3300's you could make an argument, but with the larger, higher capacity IB cells currently available, I do not think there is any benefit.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I noticed a slightly higher voltage bt a slighty lower mAh charge when I did step charging. I think that mainly came because of how it was set up. I had my charger to charge to the same spec as Atsushi Hara with his packs.

I really don't think it matter's either way so I don't know if I'll continue to do it or not.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, you three. It pretty much confirms my reasoning.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Tech Rookie

We do see linear charging get more performance from the pack, while 3 step charging (low amps charge at the very beginning, high amps at the middle range and low amps at the end of charging) will be more ease for the packs.

For practice, we would suggest to use 3 step charging so you'll have extended battery life.
For competition, linear charging will be suggested.

No matter what, please use as low peak detect as possible (just setup a bit higher peak detect before false peak)
Old 10-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Team-Powers
We do see linear charging get more performance from the pack, while 3 step charging (low amps charge at the very beginning, high amps at the middle range and low amps at the end of charging) will be more ease for the packs.

For practice, we would suggest to use 3 step charging so you'll have extended battery life.
For competition, linear charging will be suggested.

No matter what, please use as low peak detect as possible (just setup a bit higher peak detect before false peak)
I think so.Step charging is good for battery life.For compettition, use linear