Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
how many people watched the IIC live on the internet??? >

how many people watched the IIC live on the internet???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how many people watched the IIC live on the internet???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 AM
R/C Tech Founder

There were actually a few different green shirt guys, I think it was a race team that had bright green shirts. Team Almighty maybe? That's just a guess from what I remember (or don't remember, as the case may be).

At its peak, my server showed around 520 simultaneous viewers. This is also about the time when the live scoring app buckled under the load (it went fine until we hit about 420). Unfortunately that was during the mains on Sunday, so it may have gone under for a few people (although the video was unaffected, it was on a separate server, as was chat).

I know a few people said they had problems with video, but for every one who did there were 50 who had no problem, and the server was nowhere near capacity. Unfortunately streaming video is a tricky thing, both on the server side and the user side -- and also very frustrating if there is a problem, both for me and for you.

Overall I was pretty happy with how the video portion turned out, and I know how powerful of a database server I need for the other next time. To my knowledge, this was BY FAR the largest scale "live" net broadcast of an RC event. The software driving it was custom-written (by me!) for this one event, and really got very little pre-race testing, other than me and Boomer broadcasting Tuesday night racing at Trackside to each other. We have lots more ideas, so hopefully next year will once again be even cooler.

I would love to get 1000 simultaneous viewers for an RC event. I think we can do it. Keep posting here if you watched!

Oh yea, and there will be a DVD of the race coming out soon. We are shooting for pre-Christmas; I will keep people updated. I'll even post a teaser for it soon if I have the time.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Tech Adept

any video posted somewhere?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whats up Futureal! Thats cool that it was being covered lived on the net! I didnt know it was going to be, but i was there when they were filming it while i was helping cover the race for RCCA. I didnt know until Scotty announced that the race was being viewed on the net by over 500 users...cool! Dont try for 1,000 in the future...try for 10,000 or more! We need this this for r/c...to bring it to the masses. It needs to be on TV here in the states like it is in japan...but how?? We all need to help each other out! Let me know how i can help! Keep up the impressive good work! Joel