Slapmaster Tools MS2.3 >

Slapmaster Tools MS2.3

Slapmaster Tools MS2.3

Old 10-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Slapmaster Tools MS2.3

Hey all!
After nearly a month of mold work, the MS2.3 is ready to emerge on the local carpet tracks. The 2.2 was nearly tossed to create the 2.3. I went back to the prints to reacquire the dimensions that I originally sought after. It looks very similar to the 2.2, but it has been refined. The new 2.3 has steering stops that will pevent the insides of the wheel from cracking. The chassis has been tweeked so that it can take a 1.80 diameter tire. There has been some other cosmetic work done to help eliminate some stress points. The main features remain: the rounded edges to reduce chassis roll drag, the goose neck signature of the front end that produces that wicked fast cornering, the long battery slots to shift weight for and aft to fine tune steering balance, the minimal amount of fasteners to build the car and the undeniable most unique feature... molded carbon fiber! The front vertical uprights still have 3 holes to choose the amount of camber gain to suit traction conditions. The caster range was changed to 1,3, and 5 degrees. The front body mount angle in conjunction with the foam bumper, proved to be an outstanding advantage over conventional body posts. Effectively, no body post tears showed up in even the lightest of lightweight bodies.

If you already own a MS2.2, you will be able to purchase the 2.3 chassis to be up to date. At this point, I will move forward with this thread, even though the 2.2 thread had some very good set up info on it. If you need more info, you can get a hold of me at [email protected], I seem to be pretty bad at "pm's".

The price remains at $175 for this conversion kit. I do take Paypal. I do have dealer pricing if you have a shop. These cars are still made by hand, one at a time. I take pride in each one that leaves my shop.

Brian Bodine; Slapmaster Tools
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Slapmaster Tools MS2.3-p1010002.jpg   Slapmaster Tools MS2.3-p1010004.jpg   Slapmaster Tools MS2.3-p1010009.jpg   Slapmaster Tools MS2.3-p1010012.jpg   Slapmaster Tools MS2.3-p1010014.jpg  

Old 10-18-2005, 07:18 AM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What's included with the conversion kit? (hint: pictures )
Enough to convert my L4?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Whats the smallest front tire you can run and still maintain-say a 3.2mm ride height?
Thanks-car looks great as always!!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Ray, You should be able to get 1.57's on the 2.3 according to my calc's.

Pro Ten, the conversion includes the chassis, the veritcal uprights, the foam bumper, the new steering stops, the instructions with photos, the shopping list to complete the car, set up tips for both mod and stock, and a sticker sheet. Stickers are on order and I do not have them just yet. If I ship out a kit without stickers, I will mail them as soon as I receive them. I have an old pic of the kit part for a 2.2, basically the same but it now have the stops. I use Hyperdrive parts for the rear upper plate and their damper tubes. The rest of your Asc L4 would be fine to use. Some have used CRC parts instead of Hyperdrive, but some tube mods need to happen. I will have to get a set of CRC tubes to give out just what mods need to be done.

bb
Attached Thumbnails Slapmaster Tools MS2.3-p1010028.jpg  
Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default What are the odds on...

...getting a "shopping list" ahead of time? Do you have a good source you can recommend for the parts Hyperdrive parts?

Scottrik
Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 PM

How durable is the front suspension part of the car? I've broken a front arm on my L4 more than once, so my concern is that since the front arm is an integral part of the chassis, I'd might need a full chassis replacement after a severe impact, instead of just a set of $3 arms.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

The car takes it's fare share of punches. We have driven them into corner marshals feet, many other cars and off of the exterior walls. With the foam bumper up front, it has provided me more durability then any other car. But I would not recommend it if you race on a board track or tracks with rigid hard fixed points to drive around for corners. The arm is part of the chassis, therefore it's not replaceable. I also do not recommend the car to less then intermediate drivers or drivers that have never driven 12th scale. There are many other cars that will make up a better choice then my car. I leave this decision up to every customer.

As far as a source for Hyperdrive, they are very hobby shop oriented. Your LHS should be able to get their parts, but unfortately, they do not seem to sell direct. Hyperdrive parts were selected because of the way they fit what I wanted and because the quality is very good.

bb
Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Hyperdrive

Here's Hyperdrive's website: www.hyperdriveracing.com

Their parts that I use are:
HK-0007 damper tubes
HK-0008 ball studs
HK-0009 2.56 nuts
HK-0003 upper plate
Old 10-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
The car takes it's fare share of punches. We have driven them into corner marshals feet, many other cars and off of the exterior walls. With the foam bumper up front, it has provided me more durability then any other car. But I would not recommend it if you race on a board track or tracks with rigid hard fixed points to drive around for corners. The arm is part of the chassis, therefore it's not replaceable. I also do not recommend the car to less then intermediate drivers or drivers that have never driven 12th scale. There are many other cars that will make up a better choice then my car. I leave this decision up to every customer.

As far as a source for Hyperdrive, they are very hobby shop oriented. Your LHS should be able to get their parts, but unfortately, they do not seem to sell direct. Hyperdrive parts were selected because of the way they fit what I wanted and because the quality is very good.

bb
I better stick with the stock L4 chassis for now then. Thanx for the info!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I finally got a chance to put my own 2.3 on the new ozite for the first time this year. You all have kept me so busy, I have not had time to run myself. Trust me, I wont let you get away with this I put my 2.3 together with parts from my 2.2 and made sure that it was all aligned. Bolted in a 10 single with last years pinion still attached. Strapped in some of the latest IB3800's from SMC and checked the LRP esc for "happy". Set the end points and down the stairs to the track I went. I had Parma tires from last season, but I recall the I liked purple fronts better then magentas. I was out of purples and had plenty of magentas, so I got ready for some steering while I chipped the rust off of my 12th scale lines. Yep, the car had steering! But it didn't get upset. It just turned. It took me a few minutes to adjust to the speed and the insane cornering and then... my cell phone rang. Without making any adjustments, I ran the rest of the pack out.... which really took a long time even with the phone break. It was plenty fast, probably over geared. For something that I just tossed together, it ran within 2 tenths of the mod foam touring cars that were dialed in! I look forward to pushing these new cells in a timed run. The car could turn inside out if I let it and yet it was still screwed to the ground, but I will get the right tires on it and try again. There are two ways to set up the MS2.3; you can either run with softer front tires and take the side springs out or run with a harder front tires and use the side springs. The only way to see which is faster is to put it on the clock. All the new products and race surface should provide great racing. Stay tuned, I will have the results here.

I am pilling up chassis blanks getting ready for the cut phase. The drill phase, and then the ship 'em to you phase.

Brian
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I am pilling up chassis blanks getting ready for the cut phase. The drill phase, and then the ship 'em to you phase.
Hopefully the "packaging up some rear axle bearing saver kits" phase can be slipped in there...hopefully Deb told you I need a set or two. Not as sexy as new chassis, but the appreciation and good will aimed your way will almost be tangible!

Many thanks,

Scottrik
Old 10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Slugfest report

Hi Gang,
Wow... I have been busy and I am sorry that I have not been able to produce too many chassis kit's lately. My primary job just had a major project conclude just this last Fri. I am hoping that will free up the time that I need to get kits out the door and get orders filled. I have bumpers and thrust bearings in stock right now, and I am cutting out chassis in the spare time. I am also preparing for Gas Nat's in Kissimmee Fl for the 1st of Nov and will return the 7th. Slapmaster Tools should have my full attention after that. Enough of that!

Here's the good news so far. Rain City Raceway in Lynnwood Washington is one of the Northwest's premier indoor carpet tracks. They just had the latest CRC Ozite carpet installed and the facility is now on par with any of the major electric races accross the country. What makes it beter, is that I rent a space to produce the MS2.3 just one flight of stairs away from the track. But, I have not had the time to practice. In just the last few days, I have been able to sneak a pack a night. Not a lot, but at least it was some time on the new track that I can build new knowledge for the 2.3 set up.

Rain City has their annual Slugfest 2 day event to kick off the carpet racing season every Oct. This year, they were not able to get enough in the 12th Mod class going. But they did get a good tallented group of 12 stock drivers together. I thought, OK, I will refine the stock set up for the new car. I took the 2.2 set up and found that it pushed on the new carpet. So right away, I dropped the arms to the lower holes and left the side springs in from the mod set up in the damper tubes. Using Parma pink rears and purple fronts at 1.70 and 1.64, the car still pushed for my liking. With the front end at 3 degrees caster, 1 and 1.5 degrees camber, .020 springs, a fat 1/4" of TQ mod on the inside, quite a bit of toe out (2+ per side), one of the bat's moved all the way forward, green spring with 25wt and a .075 t-bar with all 3 spacers.... it was a pretty straight forward mod set up except for the toe out. I put the car on the pole with a 48/8:09, but I didn't feel that the motor was up to the task. It was AE Monster stock geared 29/96 with a 1.61 roll out. Don't get me wrong, it was on the pole by over a lap, I just felt that there should be more.

So with a pretty strong run on the books, it was time to get funky. I changed the brushes in the motor, put a red + spring, green - spring, changed the tires to a Parma pink rear at 1.84 and a Jaco purple front at 1.72, redid the gearing at 27/96 or a 1.62 roll out, changed to 30wt to get a little more off power steering, changed the side springs to 22/20 from 18/22 to make a little more steering happen across the board, changed to a Sylva med steel t-bar with only two spacers, left one bat forward with the other back. What the hell, let's give it a try. It definitely had more steering then the couch on wheels that I drove earlier. I had to pay more attention, but I like that. The car seemed a little more free'ed up in the corners and handled the tighter stuff without any issues. I went about 4 seconds faster for a new TQ at 48/8:05.... well over a lap over 2nd. The AE motor felt a little stronger, but not earth shattering. Then again, a 27 single just doesn't pull the same way a 10 turn does! The guys that run stock all the time, would know the right moves to make to make 'er scream. I am using the latest SMC IB 3800's with a LRP Quantum 2. I had a rediculous amount of run time left over. I have to say, that I am quite pleased with the car. My last run had a fast lap of 9.8 with the slow lap at 10.3 and the two stray laps of 10.6's for a pass moves. The car could do 10 flats for 11 minutes!

I have a few other customers that are running their MS2.3's this weekend back east. Tom is one and I hope that he gets a chance to chime in to share his weekend.

I have all the materials and products at the shop to make up kits, now it's just a matter of sitting down and getting the job done. Several customers have been patient and I appreciate that.

Stay tuned!
Brian; [email protected]
Old 10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

AE = EA right

-Korey
Old 10-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Brian, nice writeup as always. Looks like you got this 1/12th stock bagged. That is some real funky setups you tried, but heck when you have a full lap on 2nd, why the hell not.

Unfortunately for me personally 1/12th will be on the back burner until December at Tri-cities. Sedan foam is really asking for my full attention to be able to run in the top 3 even just locally. Running a 2nd foam car at club race doesn't have a good smell to it at all. I'll probably start doing some 1/12th runs again in mid-November to prep for Tri-cities. Meanwhile, I feel a bit left out on not running the 2.3, but I have too much history and love for my 2.2 still...

Dom
Old 10-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Korey got me! Yep, EA motor. Thanks to the guys in the pit; Mike, Korey, Weylin for keeping me straight on the latest stock tuning. Dom; the difference between the 2.2 and the 2.3 is just some creature comforts. Geometry wise, they are the same cars... unless you have some of the special chassis that we were fooling around with different laminents. If there was a major change in the car... I would be onto the 3 series. Dom; this thing is like riding a bike, when ever we get together, we'll get the set up on it and turn you loose again.

We have 1 more qual today at the Rain and then 3A's. I am really impressed with the new carpet. It is far more predictable then the previous. Results tonight!

bb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.