Integy Dyno

Old 02-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Integy Dyno

I know that this is not the best or most expensive dyno or motor checker out there. What is the best way to get some usable results out of this device? Does a good motor show more amp flow or less? Sometimes when I make changes, such as different types of brushes, the indicated voltage changes without the voltage knob being moved. Is this telling me something indirectly? What is the "condition" measurement? Is it resistance or what? Even though its not the most expensive thing out there, its still fun to play with. Anyone out there know how to get good results or what this thing directly or indirectly tells you? Your thoughts?
Old 02-08-2003, 05:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm on my way out the door to a race. I will be back later on tonight and will go into detail of what I think about it compared to my robi dyno. By that time I'm sure a few others will give you some great input.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

The documentation that comes with the Integy Dyno will get you up and running but doesn't help much with using the #'s you get. I emailed Integy about it and was told to tune in this order:

1. Use 3-4 volts
2. RPM (higher # better)
3. Amp Draw (higher # better)
4. Comm Interference (lower # better)

The comm interference # is there to give you an idea if the motor is due for a rebuild. For example if a motor that usually gave a 15 for comm interference jumped up to >40 then its probably time for a comm turning.

Because the Integy doesn't apply a load to the motor, certain changes that look good on the dyno (lighter springs=higher RPM) won't necessarily work on the track (brush arcing/bounce=low power/high glitch).

I have the Integy & Robi dyno's. Generally, if the Robi says its good, then the Integy will say its good, then my lap times will tell me its good.

I would really like to hear the opinions of others who have access to multiple dynos considering the price difference between the Robi & the Integy.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the response, guys! I know theres no comparison between this device and a real load dyno. Would be great to have the Robi, but I'd rather put my limited race money into batteries/motors ect. I do enjoy playing with this cost-reasonable device, but the Integy instructions aren't all that helpful. Like you guys, I suspect that this thing tells us indirectly several things. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at.

I took a new monster stock and dedicated it as my test motor. I took several pairs of different brushes/springs and tested them at 3-4 volts. I have developed a method of using this device, so that I do the same thing on each pull, then write the results down. I have settled on three volts as my test standard.

The biggest result that I have realized was not in the brush/spring combo's, though some were better than others. The biggest gain I saw was in how I broke-in and maintained the motor!

My old method was to turn the motor, put in new brushes, and break it in in the first heat, between the start grid and the first turn (Barry Baker, if you see this, quit laughing).

It looks as if this isn't the best way. By a slow break-in, the numbers are higher and stay there longer....

Your thoughts?

By the way, does anyone know what the "Comm Condition" is measuring? Is it resistance, or what?

Last edited by Graphitedust; 02-09-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

The integy dyno should be able to get you into the ball park with the RPM'S. I use it as a quick little dyno at the track when I don't want to bring the real one to the track. When I need to know if a certain brush helped or hurt a motor it will be able to tell you that. It's been pretty close (rpm wise) to the robi dyno. The condition number (to me) if sort of an efficiency reading. The lower the number the better. I also think that the amp draw number is also an efficiency number. If you have a motor that is at 19500 on the rpms with an amp draw of 9amps and another motor with the same number of rpm's but the amp draw is less I would think that the lower amp draw motor would be the best since it's giving you the same amount of power without using as much battery. The only thing that's really missing from the dyno is a torque/power type number. For the money it's a great little dyno that also powers a lathe and breaks in motors. I bought mine just for the running my lathe and the dyno feature was an added plus. I haven't done any mod motors on it as of yet. Have anyone else played with a mod on this thing???
Old 02-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

yus i tried a 9 quad
Old 02-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

STLNLST: Boy, you hit my question on the head with the comment about amp draw! I understand basic electrical, but is the number indicated in amps what the device is putting out to the motor, or is it what the load (motor) is drawing from the device? Would seem to be the deciding factor as to wether you should seek to tune for an increase in the amp number on the device, or tune for a lower number. Guess I better go find a book on basic electricity....

Guess I've got the same question about the "volt" number the device shows......

Any of you savy electrical engineers able to lay this out for me in laymans term? What is the correct way to look at this?

Dalem: Thanks for the info. I just reread what everyone posted. I race sedan at SoCal by the way.

Last edited by Graphitedust; 02-09-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Tech Champion

The amp number would have to be the number that the motor is putting out from the 4 volts being applied to the motor. You get almost the same numbers when put on the turbo 35. I don't know if the engineering side of it but this is what I have been doing for quite some time with good results. Remember....this isn't a true dyno so all info from other dyno's can't totally be taken into consideration with this one. What type of motors are you mostly testing????
Old 02-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Graphitedust
I race sedan at SoCal by the way.
I try to get over there every week or two to practice. I'm easy to spot - I'm the one driving over all the corner dots... upside down.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

check this out for the Integy dyno....

This the first version...

working on some more features...

It is based of some info from the Integy site...

Last edited by Tres; 07-10-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by dalem
I try to get over there every week or two to practice. I'm easy to spot - I'm the one driving over all the corner dots... upside down.
I'm so relieved! I thought I was the only one who rang those dots like a church bell!

Tres: Thanks for the info!

STLNLST: All stock motors. I've run Reedy MVP, Rages, Epic P2K, P2K2, and the new Monster Stock. Nearly everyone here racing sedan is running a Monster Stock. I've also run some of the handout motors I've collected throughout the last couple of years. The Monster stock looks substantially stronger than any of them, and the "asphalt dyno" seens to confirm this.....

Do you have any thoughts on why I sometimes see a gain or loss in the indicated voltage displayed on the device? Sometimes I'll do a pull and the first and last thing I log is the voltage. I start out at three and sometimes it drops to 2.9 or 2.8 volts. Can't help but think this is telling me something indirectly. Perhaps the brushes are seating allowing less resistance, and therefore a lower number (which I think would be a good indication)or the comm is wearing ( which would mean a decrease in performance......hmmmm.....food for thought.

Last edited by Graphitedust; 02-11-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

graphitdust- I have found this as well and what I have come up with is that I might not have fully broken in the brushes and they complete their break in process while I'm testing them. I also have to re do the voltage when I change motors. This tells me that the power is constant but all info should be accurate if all motors are tested at 4 volts for example. I go by sound as well as the rpm info it gives. Higher winding stockers with high rpm's makes me think that I will be a little down on torque and I must gear down some. If it's a real screamer I'll do a pull with the real dyno just to see all of the motors info.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Guys: Thanks so much for the input and feedback! Its helped alot! You guys are the bomb....

TRES: Thanks for the calculator, works GREAT with the info my motor checker gives me (see, I'm trying hard not to call it a dyno...).
Old 02-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

No prob, when I get time to work on it, I'll add a SAVE function to compare motors easier....
Old 02-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

that's what these threads are for......sharing info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.