Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2001, 10:58 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Default LHS or Online hobby shops?

please comment
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 11:11 PM   #2
Tech Regular

You might get a cheaper price online but I believe that supporting local shops even if taking shipping away will cost a few more bucks to support them.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 12:05 AM   #3
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Help support R/C Tech by supporting the advertisers! Click on those little banners and make some purchases. Tell them where you got the ad from...
Visit my store: www.ampdraw.com
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 07:55 AM   #4
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think what ever is convenient for you. If you are there racing, or aren't very far away, buy from your LHS! But I live 75 minutes away from my LHS and hobby store, so I buy from them when I'm there, but otherwise I buy from online places.

Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 08:07 AM   #5
Regional Moderator
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm with Speedo on this one. If you have time to and can get to the shop and find what you need there(a combination thats hard to achieve), then buy it at the local shop.

Even if the price is a buck or two higher, but not if its insanely high. I'm not that dedicated to LHS!

But, don't let anyone tell you that mail ordering is somehow wrong because you aren't supporting the local shop. You do whatever you can to help and support the local shop, but after that, their a business and its up to them to figure out how to bring in customers.
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:19 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Online for major items/better prices. LHS for broken cheap parts. Our LHS has the track in the basement.....hmmmm how convienent. Broken arm ? Upstairs ???
ScottPro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:33 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I always go to the LHS first. They support me, so I support them. Even if I pay a little more, it's worth it to have the shop 5 minutes away, and have someone there who knows more about things than me, and can order hard to find stuff.
www.MBRSpeedShop.com - indoor carpet onroad and offroad racing in Roanoke, VA
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:35 AM   #8
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you're new to the hobby absolutely support your local shop. When you buy that new speed control who's gonna tell you you're gonna need some deans plugs and heat shrink? When you don't understand the esc set-up who's gonna go over the installation with you? There are no buttons on those web pages that can do that...
If that shop has a track that you race at support that shop- they don't make money from running races- they make it by selling you the equipment that you'll need to race. No track will stick around very long if they don't make money so support 'em.
If you feel the shop is overpriced on some items then ask them to cut you a racer's discount and show them a fair price if you know where you can get things cheaper.
Don't be afraid to talk to the guys behind the counter and let them understand what you would want from them as a paying customer.
Just do what you can and hopefully you have a good little shop in your area that's worth keeping around.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 11:36 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Always try to support the LHS as they are the ones that are setting up tracks and running races. If we don't buy from them we will either have no tracks or will have to pay huge fees to race. With current race fees no track can survive on entrys alone, on-line sales have already cut into the LHS's margin and if it gets worse more and more will close and then where will we be.
ChadK is offline   Reply With Quote