Axiom MOTORS

Old 02-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Axiom MOTORS

I'm just wondering when it says based on (p2k2,p2k,GM3,MVP,etc.) what does that mean? Is it the same motor as those listed? Is axiom mOTORs even good? I also want to know what's the best Stock motor. Green Machine 3 or the P2k2 or the MVp.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:43 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

All the motors are the same. One company in Japan makes every Epic motor, while a second company makes all the "yokomo" motors.

When it says "based on" it just means it is a tuned version of that motor. Motors tuned by other companies usually have a diamond trued comm, reamed bushings, aligned brush hoods, and zapped magnets. ( methods will vary between motor tuners. )
Old 02-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

I see so would it make the motor better and perform bettr?
Old 02-08-2003, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

TSR6: What about the Orion motors that are based on the TOP can?
Old 02-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Neo,
Yes Axiom motors are very good. They are tuned versions of the ones you mentioned. Dave Gillickson the owner is very knowledgeable and helps out other drivers at every race he goes to. I race for Axiom and the support I get from him is great. I switched to his motors last year and havent regretted it at all. Give them a try, you won't be sorry.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Alright I was just wondering because everyone said they are great motors so, i had to ask. Thanks a lot
Old 02-08-2003, 04:01 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by jwwu
TSR6: What about the Orion motors that are based on the TOP can?
I just used those two as an example, but yes, TOP too.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

I see so Axiom motors are really just the UPGRADED versions of the original motors? I can see why many people like them! I think I'm going to try one OUT
Old 02-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

great to hear that Neo! let me know how you like it. What type of racing do you do?
Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

I just picked up a axiom core motor, we will see how it performs. What brushes/ springs do these motors respond well to?
Old 02-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

i use a red spring on the positive side and a green one on the neg. side. Also Axiom makes a 12% silver brush that works really good with these motors.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Neo-Pro-3, yes axiom motors are very good. Dave does a very good job tuning them and they're always fast. If you order an axiom stock motor or two, get some brushes while you're at it, then you can rebuild it to those specs or have someone do it for you. Skid Marks, who are you? I run for Axiom as well.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:38 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by NeO-pRo-3
I see so Axiom motors are really just the UPGRADED versions of the original motors? I can see why many people like them! I think I'm going to try one OUT
It is worth a slightly more detailed explanation than that. We'll use Trinity motors as an example, since they are arguably the most popular Epic-based motors in the US.

When Trinity releases a new motor, the motor is first sold as a regular, packaged version to consumers. In the case of, say, the Revenge of the Monster stock motor, this would be Trinity's part number RC2140.

Then, usually about a month later, Trinity will release a "Pro" version of the motor. These motors have been "tuned" by Trinity's technicians, which means the commutator is freshly trued, the magnets have been re-zapped after coming back from the factory, the brushes are normally a better compound, and the motor has been tested on a dyno, with the results printed on a label and applied to the can. In the case of the Monster motor, this would be Trinity's part number RC2141.

Now, some time after the Pro versions are released, Trinity will release OEM versions of the motors to remanufacturers. These can be purchased (unpackaged) in bulk, at a highly discounted price. Companies such as Axiom will get these by the case, and do their own tuning to them. Unlike Trinity's "Pro" motors, most motor resellers will truly give each one the personal touch: true the commutator, whichever brushes they prefer to use, whichever springs they prefer to use, the armature is "shimmed" (balanced), and then once again the motor is put on a dyno. Adjustments are then made until the motor is as good as it can be.

The difference in price between the regular version and a dyno-tuned version is usually no more than $7-$8, which makes the latter a good buy for racing. For bashing, all you need is the regular version.

Hope that helps out a bit.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Axiom5B,
My name is Randy. I've raced for dave for almost a year now. I live in Seattle and I'm the ROAR region 11 director. I race mainly 12th stock and mod, and 1/8th scale gas on-road. Whats your story.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Axiom, how much are the brushes? I'm going to get the E2 motor which is based on the P2k2 I think? I drive with 1/10 scale touring car as you can see below I drive the LOsi xxx-s with the p2k2 motor and now want to drive with the AXIOM E2!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.