Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Rubber Tire Carpet Setup Differences >

Rubber Tire Carpet Setup Differences

Rubber Tire Carpet Setup Differences

Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Rubber Tire Carpet Setup Differences

I'm thinking of trying rubber tires on carpet sometime soon (maybe). I've only been a foam tire racer. We even ran foam on asphalt when we had an outdoor track. So my question is this:

What are the typical differences between a carpet foam and carpet rubber setup?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I'm thinking of trying rubber tires on carpet sometime soon (maybe). I've only been a foam tire racer. We even ran foam on asphalt when we had an outdoor track. So my question is this:

What are the typical differences between a carpet foam and carpet rubber setup?
biggest one is spring hardness
we do rubber carpet all the time oils are around 40-55wt mark but springs your looking @ 19-25ilb front & rear
rest of it is perssonal preference
Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

JUICE your rubber!!!! and prepare for some griprolls :P
Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Default additive

corrally jack the gripperhttp://www.microtechracing.com/product_info.asp?n=CORALLY+TC4+CARPET+JACK+TYRE+AD DITIVE&prdID=9981&usrID=DD9D4FA2-C1DE-4C1F-B8F9-5D13CDD6C8A5

Lrp http://www.microtechracing.com/produ...9-5D13CDD6C8A5

need additive to make the rubbers work aswell
Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default grip roll

it is arse about face putting harder springs on front to get rid of grip roll on rubber by the way
you go softer on springs to get rid of grip oll

when strt putting harder springs on it`s just get`s worse
Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. The broad strokes of rubber tires on carpet setup.

No wacky stuff like one ways or anything is good.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
it is arse about face putting harder springs on front to get rid of grip roll on rubber by the way
you go softer on springs to get rid of grip oll

when strt putting harder springs on it`s just get`s worse
Another option is to widen the front and rear track width. If you use 188mm to 190mm, then you normally can dial in the cars traction balance through conventional setup options without worrying about traction rolling.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Would a high grip asphalt setup be a good starting point for a carpet rubber setup?

Blake
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't see why not, you'll probably have to change a few things but you could always go back to kit set-up and work from there.

Charles
Old 10-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. The broad strokes of rubber tires on carpet setup.

You almost always want a one-way for rubber on carpet.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Would a high grip asphalt setup be a good starting point for a carpet rubber setup?

Blake
like charles say`s
why not , there will be subtle differences but nothing major
quite few fast guy`s on carpet down my way transfer there tarmac car straight to carpet & be on the pace straight from the off

which is a cow for me as i`m so far off it i`m on anothe rplanet to them lot

one-ways nearly allways
and stay away from diff`s & spools if you want to go fast
Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One-ways depends. At the TCS race at TWOH I would have given anything to take out the one-way in my 415-that car was so evil to drive (fast-when MR set-it up for me for 2nd qual, but still evil). It would have been slower, but very consistent.

BUT-if you come up with a good diff set-up and a good one-way set-up-the one-ways gonna be faster. Not only will it carry more corner speed-it will rocket out of corners with more steerng and ooomph, but will demand a better control of throttle, which is fun!!

As others have eluded to (and you know I am no expert-but know a bit), the shock pistons and oil dont change too much (50/30), but you drop a good 10lb on the front spring and about 5 on the rear spring. Sometimes you run the shocks further out on the arm as well.

Lower hingepin height (RC) doesnt need to chnage much, but often you will chnage the camber links.

Usually less caster (2,3,4º)

Sway bars are often used, but thinner ones than with foam.

YOu feel things happen in the suspension of a rubber tire car as well and you can control the rate at which things change much better. Everything happens slower. YOu feel or should I say see imbalances in the roll rate of front and back of car.

As for tuning-you dont tune for rubber like foams so thats a fun challenge. as you know on foams your balancing between retarded amounts of steerng with corner speed and driveability. IN rubbers first you need to find grip, then balance, then work to keep the car flat as grip increases.

Having said all this-its sad to say I couldnt set-up a BAD rubber car and make it a whole lot better, YET, but these things I have mentioned are universals for rubber/carpet.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

The problem to me with racing rubber tires is that there are so many tires and inserts. Then there is the air gap, tire wear and everything else. In my experience it was the people with the best sponsor or the biggest wallet that wins. At our club races guys were running new tires every run. It wasn't even fun any more. Foams evened the playing field. Good Luck !
Old 10-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input Chris. I pitted next to you 2 years ago at the Halloween Classic. We were talking about setting a CS27 premount spec tire. That's the only way I'd do it is with a spec tire. That's pretty much what we have with foams...everyone is running cyan/magenta.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Use spec tires or noone will run rubber...simply too expensive.

It dosent really matter which tire, just make it spec no matter what!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.