Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
need advise on my cyclone s gearing(vid) >

need advise on my cyclone s gearing(vid)

need advise on my cyclone s gearing(vid)

Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default need advise on my cyclone s gearing(vid)

Well im a newb and im not sure if this is perfectly normal or not. Well the manual said pinion gear 64p and had a range of different teethed ones that would work. I picked one in the middle, 64P 37T. Anyway I installed it and tried every adjustment i could and it seems like theres alot of resistence or something(again may be normal, but thats why im asking). When i push the car really slow with my hand I can hear and feel the motor turning i think. When I push it faster the sound and resistence goes away. Then when i push it and let it go it stops pretty fast. Im woundering if this is all normal or not. Should i be able to hear/feel the motor turn when pushed slow? Should it roll farther/with less resistence when pushed? Or does it seem normal, because ive tried every adjustment. Anyway heres the video of what im talking about. Please note its with a digital camera so theres a slight sound delay, and make sure to turn up your speakers pretty high. I need all the opinions i can get. Thanks alot for your time! Here is the VIDEO

-Dan
Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

that is perfectly normal.have you run it yet. try to run it and mybe adjust the gear mesh.. make sure there is a little play between the spur and the pinion.but not to much cause it will stripp the gear.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

yea theres a little play between the spur and pinion. i havent ran it yet but will this week(my electronics are coming tuesday probably). Thanks for the help

dan
Old 09-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

LOL i love the video thats great. Best description u could give.

Alot of that noise is the high resitance from the motor magnets. MEsh always sounds bad at low speed like that. As long as there is just a touch of play between the gears you should be fine..
Old 09-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Initiate

ok lol thanks, yea that vid is pretty lame haha but i suck as explaning things. does the magnet resitence differ from motor to motor?

dan
Old 09-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ya im not knockig the vid its cool..

Ya a cheap RTR silver can motor has very low magnetic resistance and a good quality stock and mod motor will have really strong magnets. There is nothing wrong. To be sure move the motor away so there is no mesh and make sure that the car without the motor doesnt sound off. Then u know any noise is from the mesh with the motor. AGain from your video i see nothing wrong
Old 09-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Initiate

ya rolls smoothly w/out the motor so its gotta be the motor magnet. thanks again for the help guys!

dan