Wiki Posts
Search

Xray T2'007

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by HRCRACER123
Hey.. what roll-out are you guys running with a novak GTB with the 10.5 bl motor. Set-up for carpet with foams on a average size track?

Thanks..
Rollout = 33.5 to 35.0.
Gear Ratio = 5.10 to 5.40
Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

This place is awesome..https://www.gearchart.com/index.cfm?...n=chart.create

Goingfast. So your roll-out is like 35ish..

Kn7671..Thanks..
Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the track I race on 40'-60' I have my roll out at 31.80mm
Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hey Guys. I already went brushless and want to go lipo but I dont want my car to look crazy with all those lead weights on one side. Any solutions?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Guys. I already went brushless and want to go lipo but I dont want my car to look crazy with all those lead weights on one side. Any solutions?
You could try using denser weights, like Gold or Platinum strips (everyone has this stuff laying around, don't they?) Their specific gravity is almost twice as dense as Lead.

That's the main problem with Lipos in most TC's... the weight distribution. The other is fitting the lipo packs into some of the chassies.

As Lipo racing becomes more mainstream, I think that the manufacturers need to do some redesign, to produce new chassies better balanced for lipos and the sanctioning bodies need to come up with new weight rule limits.

At the moment, the 008 EU edition (thinner chassis) is supposed to fit a 3200 mAh sized lipo. The 008 moves the battery closer to the center line, but you still have to balance it out with weights. Apparently, you can't fit a lipo into the US edition (thicker chassis). Not sure about the 007.
The Losi JRX-S Type R is probably the most Lipo compatible chassis right now, because the battery sits right in the middle, so you don't need weights, unless you're running today's weight rules. Not sure how big a lipo the JRX-S takes.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Correction (quoted from the XRay site):
"The T2’008 is LiPo ready and optimized. Both EU and US Editions allow the use of LiPo 3200mAh packs, with EU Edition 2.5mm chassis (only) accepting LiPo 4800mAh packs as well. The T2’008 electronics and motor placement have been optimized and long-term tested with brushless systems to provide maximum efficiency and best weight balance."

... that makes it sound like the chassis should come well balanced for both NiMH's and LiPo's, which is of course impossible, being that the battery is not on the center line, and you're giving up the weight of 2 cells going to Lipo.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Thanks Guys for posting all the pics. All your cars look great. And Bshorr Nice paintjob..

Ok here is the set-up I decided on. Let me know what you think...
Ya, thats my last years 007, sure does look uber sexy!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rc pete
You could try using denser weights, like Gold or Platinum strips (everyone has this stuff laying around, don't they?) Their specific gravity is almost twice as dense as Lead.

That's the main problem with Lipos in most TC's... the weight distribution.
...snip.
No no no no. Lipos DO NOT cause a weight distribution problem. You are replacing a 6 cell pack weighing X and replacing it with a Lipo pack + weights weighing X. No change OK? Alternatively and I know because I have been there,you are replacing a 6 cell pack on car weighing in excess of 1500gms and replacing it with a Lipo pack with sufficient weights to reach 1500gms and then lap faster because the car is lighter.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rc pete
Correction (quoted from the XRay site):
"The T2’008 is LiPo ready and optimized. Both EU and US Editions allow the use of LiPo 3200mAh packs, with EU Edition 2.5mm chassis (only) accepting LiPo 4800mAh packs as well. The T2’008 electronics and motor placement have been optimized and long-term tested with brushless systems to provide maximum efficiency and best weight balance."

... that makes it sound like the chassis should come well balanced for both NiMH's and LiPo's, which is of course impossible, being that the battery is not on the center line, and you're giving up the weight of 2 cells going to Lipo.
The 008 will take a 23mm high Lipo pack without modification, that includes the 4900 packs from Trakpower. Referring to my previous response, you have it all wrong on balancing; you are not giving up 2 cells worth of weight, you have to make 1500gm minimum. I have run my 008 with both battery technologies and trust me, in terms of balance it runs the same, because there is no difference. I accept the fact that a large Lipo pack might sit a tad closer to the chassis edge,0.5mm? Would a pro team driver notice a difference, maybe. Would an A finalist class cub driver notice it, no.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, you could put in a lipo and then bring up the weight to the minimum weight limit, but your left-right weight distribution in the car wouldn't be even.
With the 007 and a brushless motor, I have to run about 40g of weight on the battery side with a 6-cell IB4200 pack. That gets the left-right balance of the car even, using the Hudy balancing do-dads.
That puts my car over weight, but I think it's better to be heavier than to have an unbalanced car.

My point is that if you're running Lipo, you'll have to put even more weight on the battery side for even left-right balance, because the Lipo is lighter... to the tune of 143 grams. (The Team Orion 4800 Li-Po pack weighs 258g, versus 401 g for NiMH 7.2 volt assembled cells.)
Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree absolutely. But I believe fervently that it is misleading to say that Lipos cause balance problems. In your scenario all you are doing is replacing a Nimh pack with a Lipo pack with enough weights to make it equal to the weight of the Nimh pack. Now that may be irritating, it is! But it is not causing a balance problem and it is not making the car heavier. There is an argument that brushless motors with their extra weight are actually the problem because they are adding more weight to that side of the car that was never there before and to get left/right balance means potentially you go over 1500.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yellowshark
I agree absolutely. But I believe fervently that it is misleading to say that Lipos cause balance problems. In your scenario all you are doing is replacing a Nimh pack with a Lipo pack with enough weights to make it equal to the weight of the Nimh pack. Now that may be irritating, it is! But it is not causing a balance problem and it is not making the car heavier. There is an argument that brushless motors with their extra weight are actually the problem because they are adding more weight to that side of the car that was never there before and to get left/right balance means potentially you go over 1500.
I agree and don't agree. While it is possible to add the weight to balance the chassis out you do nonetheless have to add a majority of it on top of the battery, which raises the cog of the car. This then means setup changes as well, as the car will want to roll more. Basically it is not just a drop in replacement. I will agree that brushless is a pain because of the extra weight it adds, having to add more to the battery side to balance. My 007 setup with foams weighs in at 1550 grams. That is about a 100 grams overweight, but the car drives well. I think saddle lipo packs are a must for tc's, to get the balance we want with brushless being so heavy.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Question

Does anyone know what other brands of spring fit and will perform well on the 007?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RLMW VQ
Does anyone know what other brands of spring fit and will perform well on the 007?

tamiya springs fit and work well. was using yellow/front, red/rear for rubber/asphalt
Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know if I can mount the servo on the other side of the chassis?
If I disassemble the servo saver, can I reassemble it with the arm on the other side of the chassis?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.