R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to racer34v
Default First year racer......

Looks like things may be falling in place timewise where i can get to the LHS for some racing. I'm no noob to rc just to organized racing. (last time i raced i was 7..... now i am 22) The track i am going to race at has little internet presence and unknolwdegable help (i guess i cant seem to catch the 'right' guy on the phone) nevertheless me and a couple buddies want to race there. What will i *need* to be competitive?

I have:

2 xxx-s rollers i am currently going through, fresh bearings, diffs etc, checking for bent, broken worn parts (these were previously glorified bash cars)

2 duratrax ice chargers & 20amp power supply

2 4200 6 cell packs on order from voodoo

Good set of dynamite allen & nut drivers

Many spare arms, belts , springs, hardware for the xxx-s

What are the obvious things i am forgetting? Just want to be prepared and not look like a noob.

Also i am going to order a dx2 or dx3 dsm radio so i dont have to fight for freq chips, and reccomendations there?

racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite

You don't need much to race, just a car that runs, and a charger and enough battery packs that you can charge them in time.

Depending on the rules, you may need to have the right type of motor and a certain type of tyre, it's rare for anything else to be restricted.

I wouldn't worry too much about having "top" gear or "loads" of gear. Practice and driving skill counts for a lot more. Just get down there and have fun!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Every thing u have shud b fine

when i started racing my setup was no wear near as good as urs

Like sosidge said just check 2 see wat tires and motor u are allowed to run
The Skid Marks -- 24 Heures Du Jackson 9/22-23/2011
"Go for broke or go home broke"
"If it ant broke your not trying"
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That looks like a good starting set up. Wouldn't worry about what you look like to others, everyone started at your same point and your driving will most likely tell people where your at in the sport. I would concentrate your time, by spending more of it on the track then in the pits fiddling with your car, motors, batteries, etc, and more of you money on tires, then many of the other items that look cool, but are really seldom needed. IMHO.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

soldering iron to get the motor in and out maybe.
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Gravity R/C◢|◤HWNA◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default list

cars = check
batteries = check
transmitters/receivers = check
tools = check
charger = check

a few buddies to race with = check
a real car to get to the track = check

You're good to go.
have fun! and have more fun.
the other stuff will come as you need or as you get better with the car

ohh...bring your girl 1 time...that way she'll never want to come back..(unless she likes it) and she'll never get mad once she knows you're at the track and not the strip club
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Tech Master
Default thanks

thanks guys...!

they dont know what classes / motor rules will be in force.... gonna feel out who shows up i guess..... this year racing is free!! no fees for any classes, should help car count i would guess

p.s. i took the g/f to the hobbyshop last fall.... one trip was enough for her.... were a bunch of 'geeks' ..... lol some people just dont get it....
Old 09-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Originally Posted by racer34v

p.s. i took the g/f to the hobbyshop last fall.... one trip was enough for her.... were a bunch of 'geeks' ..... lol some people just dont get it....

Mine was the same way when she started... presented her with a shiny new truck one day and her first words were "Well you may as well just sell THAT thing." Now, many years and many vehicles later.. she still talks about missing that first truck. The difference maker was getting her to actually *try* it. May not work on your end, but actually trying one should be way more convincing than trying to persuade her with a shelf queen at your LHS. If not, you've always got at least one safe haven that you can escape to for short times.
Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion
For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life...
LasagnaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Tech Addict
Default Try this

1. Find out who the race director is and talk to him.
2. Arrive early on race day, there is usually an hour between track set up and first race, you can get familiar with track and test your car.
3. Look for someone with your same model of car. Ask them what setups they use, ask them to look at your car.
4. Find the XXX-S thread here and read as many pages as you can, virtually every question that good be asked and answered is on that thread somewhere. The manual only contains about half of what you need to know about the car.
5. Don't try to go to fast too soon. Hitting the barriers and breaking parts will cause frustration and may even sour you on the whole idea of racing.

6. Check and recheck things. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, eventually. The wire that the "old pro" at the track soldered for you will come off during the race.
The little screw you dropped and coudn't find on the floor actually fell into the hollow spot where the belt is. You wont find it until has chewed up and destroyed both diffs.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Tech Champion

I totally agree with the dont try to go too fast too soon, race at your own speed and learn how to get through the corners without crashing.

Outright speed doesnt win races as we all know!
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One word of advise. Slower is faster.

Two don't worry about having an older car. one guy at my club brough out his dads xxxs to race and set it up for him. well he came in second in the A. he just love the xxxs for stock racing. He was driving a t2. sold it. borrowing a jrx-s for his 19 turn. but still place well with the xxxs. one of the guy's at my club ask what was he running. I told him it was a xxxs. his jaw almost hit the ground.

If you need a good set up. I can ask my friend to email to you.

third go out and have fun.
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #12
Tech Regular

What do you have in the way of an ESC?
GTB SS + 13.5 & 10.5
Trakpower 4900
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
Tech Master

cyrrus- that would be great info to have, if nothing else just to reference..... racer34v@yahoo.com is my email.

PeteB- I have 2 super sport escs (wired to 4300 motors) i looked at some records on their website and they had a class for 4300 last year so i should be good..... heading up there tonight to fid out more.....

thanks guys
Old 09-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Towels rags.

I keep meaning to go to target or pep boys to get a stack of those cheapo cloth towels.

If you use the tire adhesive I would recommend this and/or a cheap beach towel to lay on your table.

Did someone say a small light or powerstrip (only if your track does not have).
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HotrodHopkins

you should get some set up tools. ride hieght guage, and rpm makes good cheap camber guage and toe in/out guage. soldering iron definatly good (25watt is good for most things), blue threadlock or teflon tape. and other than that and what u got i think ur good to go.
SHAUN HOPKINS a.k.a NoRod Hopkins

-1990 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado TBI350 "Heavy Half". 1971 Chevrolet Nova

-My lug nuts require more Torque than your Honda makes.
HotrodHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote