Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
I have gone seen the future and it is LI-PO! >

I have gone seen the future and it is LI-PO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have gone seen the future and it is LI-PO!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default I have gone seen the future and it is LI-PO!

Be it LI-PO, LI-ON or LI-MN, sub c's better be easy! Just ran my Pro 4 with Maxamps 6000mah....let me see...charged to 8.23 volts (being careful, took forever but thats ok), ran 15 minutes with GTB/4.5 geared at 100/24 64dp with FD of 10.14. When I decided to take a break, and temp check. motor was at 133 max, 123 min. ESC 104 max. Batteries barely warm to the touch. Oh, did I mention that after 15 minutes, the batteries checked in at 7.55 volts!!!! Went outside afterwards, walked the dog, came back an hour later, checked the voltage....7.55 volts! Oh well ladies and germs...I dont know what the Team Orion's and IB's and GP's are paying the factory guys, but they better get onboard FULLY with the LI-PO. I believe they know this and discuss it in meetings. Maybe they have a bunch of scientists under contract and a buttload of cells to get rid of.

Last edited by bxpitbull; 09-12-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Tech Regular

It takes a while for more people to realise the benefits of lipos for cars, slowly but surely, we'll go that way
Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ammo
It takes a while for more people to realise the benefits of lips for cars, slowly but surely, we'll go that way
I realize it , and don`t plan on purchasing one 4200 cell !

Roar rules and all...
If a event does not allow me to run them...

O-well !

I`ll just race somewhere else that allows me....

This mean`s for me, next year no sanction events base on Roar rules....

Hopefully those organizers realize whats going to happen to them if they don`t keep up with product improvements available for the racer today....
Old 09-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Not to worry about that, the more people there are running lipos, the sooner the regulating committees will accomodate.

KO Propo race is one good example where lipos/brushless are allowed and encouraged. Then again it's not a surprise from a company who promotes technology advancements for the benefit to all players

Gotta salute them on the good decision!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Another lipo thread to post on. Hooray, eventually though they will be legal and I will wonder what I was doing wasting my time posting on this thread instead of tuning my cars. Oh well. I do know that, unless something dramatically changes such as going from 6 cell to 4 cell, I will not be purchasing any more nimh batteries. So if the sanctioning bodies want me to race at big events they need to do something. While I have not been racing long, and have not been to a big event I do find myself as one of the better drivers to tracks I visit. Not the best but up there. So I am planning on going to some regionals, etc. I feel it is good to be humbled from time to time. But this will not take place until I can run those great batteries that require no maitenance.

On a side note, does anyone have one of the latest and greatest 4200shv that they can do a discharge graph and then compare to the platinum lipo or comparable lipo. I was thinking graphs of 20amp, 30amp, and 40amp for 5 minutes. I just want to see the curves side by side to really know if the people who don't want us to use them really have a complaint as far as performance is considered.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lipo's definatley are the future, but to get ROAR and other sanctioning bodies to ever allow them for racing, they must hear it from their respective members. So if you are a ROAR member, please voice your opinion and sooner than later Lipos will eventually be allowed, just like brushless motors.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Personally, I don't see the problem. Chargers, ESC's are being made to handle both type of motors and cells. Quality chargers worth their weight are quite expensive and safely can charge Li-Po. You can charge your cells at home and bring them with you...imagine how much the track operator saves on running a race weekend and not getting a HUGE electric bill from everyone zapping and re-charging cells..More resourceful..running lower turn motors, a good Li-Po pack can rock more than two or three heats...A good Li-Po pack from Max amps is CHEAPER than a zapped 4300 NIMH from trinity. Man, I could go on blah blah blah....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

bx, how do you like the MaxAmps packs? I keep scanning their site and still haven't clicked the buy button... I don't know if I'd get the 6000 or 8000 pack, I want it to be able to go between my FK05, Yok SD, TC3, T4 and a few other cars....

You coming out to Willis this year for some rug racing?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
bx, how do you like the MaxAmps packs? I keep scanning their site and still haven't clicked the buy button... I don't know if I'd get the 6000 or 8000 pack, I want it to be able to go between my FK05, Yok SD, TC3, T4 and a few other cars....

You coming out to Willis this year for some rug racing?
I got the MaxAmps 6000. And it's a good thing I did. The latest Xtreme says the 8000 is a bit bulky for on-road vehicles. That being said, this pack is bananas! It takes a good 1 1/2hrs to charge at 2 amps but it made my car more of a friggin rocket. I was running a FD of 9.95 in my Pro 4 and went up to 10.15 for the Li-Po being conservative. The car is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY faster and the temps remain the same on the motor (130-135). Longest time ran was about 14 minutes and I had 7.5 volts left. I ran the pack under blast conditions (pratice asphalt track around the way with cones and hose) and the straight is long as s**t. Pack barely got warm to the touch. I know this is Blah Blah Blah, but if the battery tray dimensions are the same for your vehicles, you are good. The Pro 4 and TC4 have basically the same battery tray space and the pack is fits in between the posts if you are running the straps. It is a few ounces less than my IB3800's.

Turn signal. I will make it out to Willis this winter. I am looking to buy another Pro 4 and if they allow brushless Li-po combos, I plan on competing.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

I think I'll pick up 1 6000 pack and see how I like it.

What charger are you using that you're stuck at 2amps, you should be able to charge at 1C which would be 6 amps...

I'm really not sure what's going to happen at Willis. The track is really not that large and depending on the layout we either run stock or 19t, you really can't run mod. I'm hoping that the 13.5 will be alowed in stock.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've got a maxamps 4000mah pack and I'm very happy with it. It was noticeably faster and heaps more consistant than my brand new SHV4200's.
I'm using the duratrax ICE and it works very well, it only allows you to charge at 1C.
Tom.

Last edited by tomt2; 09-13-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just ran my MaxAmps 6000 pack last night. I have a XXX-S and it needed just minor dremeling to make it work. Also since it doesn't fit down in the battery slots I had to put a small washer under the battery strap posts. A little shoo goo to the battery strap and it fit great.

Weight - Last night we weighed it against a 4200 pack and it was 95 grams lighter.

Temp - When I charged it (6Amps on ICE) it settled in at 79 degrees. When the voltage went down the temp went to 80 degrees. After five minute runs the max temp was 92 degrees. I'm running a 4300/SS+ and the speed control temp went way high.... 190 degrees when I checked it after the first qualifier. I added a fan to the speed control and 120 degrees max after that (motor 160 max).

Performance... well it wasn't that noticeable at first but I did notice it was better at the end of the runs than my Nimhs. I expected that.... what I didn't expect is how efficient and immediate the power was.. I got passed going on to the straight pulled behind him hit the power. Slammed right into the back of him. He has an RDX and 4200 SHV's. Sorry Todd!! That's when I really knew it was better.

I didn't put it on the charger once (2 quals, 1 main). I'll check where the voltage is and maybe try and run another week without charging it. I'm kinda expecting 30-40 mins of run time. That's a guess but I hope I can verify that before too long.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=padailey] I got passed going on to the straight pulled behind him hit the power. Slammed right into the back of him. He has an RDX and 4200 SHV's. Sorry Todd!! That's when I really knew it was better.
[QUOTE]

Ya... that kinda hurt...! Might as well be running in Modified w/all that power... instead of "Stock"..

Oh wait...maybe if we run in stock... we should be "required" to run stock motors and stock approved batteries??? LOL
Old 09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

anyone heard of this lipoly brand?
http://www.radiocontrol-sports.com/p...446383c2cc7390
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rayman

Yea and they are out of their minds for that price!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.