Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default Strange steering problem

I've got a funny problem on my TA05. When I put the power on it goes in a straight line but turns when the power is off/under braking. I can set it so it doesn't turn when the power is off, but then it turns under power. Any ideas?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

You bought a tao5,welcome to the world of torque steer baby!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm tipping its not actual torque steer, but the servo is actually moving due ot radio interference.

What motor are you running? What radio? Do you have caps on the motor?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

torque steer on a belt drive...highly unlikely. check for interference/glitching. check the servo saver. check for binding on the steering knuckles.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

I think I've solved it! I was missing a bushing on the steering columns (or whatever you call those things). That'll solve a whole heap of problems i've been having.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Tech Adept

I was wrong. Repalcing the bushing didn't solve the problem I'm using a GT tune motor with a sanwa mxA radio (airtronics mxa?). My universal joint is slightly bent though, but not badly.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Tech Rookie

has it alway done this.
i`ve read other posts about the same problem it was the motor.
maybe try another motor.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

It's been like it for a while. I changed the tires and that seemed to help, but it still has a wavery tendancy.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

bozla,

This sounds like more of a setup issue to me than anything else. If you are running softer springs in the rear vs. the front, then that can combine with weight transfer under power to give you very weak on-power steering.

I don't know that specific chassis very well, but I would try jacking up the spring rate front and rear and see if it helps. That will help to reduce weight transfer on- and off-power, which should help even out the handling. Once you've got it to the point that it doesn't shift dramatically as you transition on and off the throttle, then you can look at tuning the relative spring rates front and rear to achieve the handling balance you are looking for.

I had this exact same problem with my Pro-4 when I ran it on carpet as-built. I went through a very slow process of increasing the spring rates front and rear until I got a more neutral feel out of it. Then I bought a 2nd chassis which was set up even stiffer and it's got even more off-power steering.

Anyway, good luck. If you're feeling particularly lazy, you might consider picking up a known-good setup from someone and just trying it. At the very least you can compare it to your current setup and see if any of the differences are related to weight-transer.

Mike
Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah, i'm running softer springs in the rear. I actually emulated the set-ups that I found, since most guys seemed to be running it softer in the rear. It works better that way since it balnces out the oversteer. Sounds like I may just have to deal with the problem for now, but thanks for the advice- I think your probably right!
Anyway, I'll clean the bearings tonight, and see if that helps. And I think I'll try adjusting the sus mounting, I don't wanna make the rear any harder.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

change the servo saver for a kimbrough one as the tamiya ones are a pile of poo.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

I cant coz I'm racing in tamiya races
Old 08-31-2006, 05:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You should be fine making the rear harder as long as you maintain the relative difference in spring rates between the front and rear. So if you go up 5lb/in in the rear, make sure you also put on a 5lb/in stiffer front spring as well - that should keep it from picking up oversteer.

If that doesn't do enough, and you're running on carpet, adding a front swaybar will help to take away some front traction. Also, you can try adding some rear toe to keep the rear-end in line, but that's going to contribute to the on-power push as well.

Finally, make sure your front diff isn't too loose. If stiffening up the rear and the front together isn't enough to keep it from looping out in corners, tighten up the front diff a bit realtive to the rear and that should help add a little push as well.

You can beat this problem. Make sure that, if you are copying others' setups, that the setup you're using is targeted to the surface and tire-type you are running. Also make sure to use the same tire identified in the setup you're copying, as that is probably this single biggest determining factor in a car's handling.

Mike
Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

one other thing to add, check to make sure the chassis is not tweaked.
as long as you arent tcs racing in japan, you can use a kimbrough. at least no one said anything about mine.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. I got a lot of stuff to try. Its not a big problem. I think I can drive through it. I actually have a front one way so I can't do anything about the front. I did all my maintenance ready for racing tomorrow. Whats tcs racing? I'm gonna be in the Tamiya GP tomorrow, qualifier for the world champs and I'm going for the win! I don't think I can get away with a kimborough. Do you have a link for a kimborough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.