Wiki Posts
Search

Charge Rates

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Charge Rates

Hello

I am trying to find out whether high charge rates play much of a role in car speed?. I race mainly 540 class, and i charge my IB4200SHV at 6 amps.
Now i have heard of people charging their IB4200SHV at 10-12 amps for the first 3200-3500mah and then drop the charge rate down to about 5 amps to peak. They say it gives alot more speed throughout the 5 minute mark. I also have heard of people charging at 4.2-4.7amp and say it has a more linear feel throughout the 5 minutes. i am wondering which charge rate would give the best performance out of the cells?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Charge at 6 amps and you'll be fine any higher and you are killing the cells.
also if you charge at high amp rates and leave the pack unattened this could happen Battery explosion
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FenderScrap
Hello

I am trying to find out whether high charge rates play much of a role in car speed?. I race mainly 540 class, and i charge my IB4200SHV at 6 amps.
Now i have heard of people charging their IB4200SHV at 10-12 amps for the first 3200-3500mah and then drop the charge rate down to about 5 amps to peak. They say it gives alot more speed throughout the 5 minute mark. I also have heard of people charging at 4.2-4.7amp and say it has a more linear feel throughout the 5 minutes. i am wondering which charge rate would give the best performance out of the cells?

Thanks
If you're not a hardcore racer, you can forget about 10-12 amps charging...As charging at those amps generate too much heat. And heat kills cells..! So stick to around 5-6 amps...Your cells will thank you for that.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Many harcore racers will not go that high anyways... 10-12 amp charging lead to rctech posts like "look my pack blew up !!!!!!!!" ..
If you re step charging, 7amp at the highest point during the charge is a good maximum...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

I find people say alot of stuff about how their equipment "feels", but few even show lap times much less measurements of actual speed to back up their feelings.

I have found that ProMatch Racing and SMC have very good information about battery care on their web sites.

Step charging - the process of charging batteries with a series of different rates - came into vogue about two years ago, as far as I can tell it was useful in sedan mod, but didn't seem to get adopted as the standard charge method.