Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Having a quiet car. >

Having a quiet car.

Having a quiet car.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Having a quiet car.

Just wondering why some people can can have a quiet car, and others own the same car and it's noisy as all hell.

I've run a TT01, and it's got some noise going on, and another guy has the same type of TT01, box stock, bearings only, and the only noise it puts out is the tyres rubbing across the track when cornering.

Anyone got any advice on running a quiet car?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Just wondering why some people can can have a quiet car, and others own the same car and it's noisy as all hell.

I've run a TT01, and it's got some noise going on, and another guy has the same type of TT01, box stock, bearings only, and the only noise it puts out is the tyres rubbing across the track when cornering.

Anyone got any advice on running a quiet car?
Most noise comes from bad spur & pinion gears. Also 64 pitch is much quieter than 48 pitch.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was wondering the same thing about wives.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default wives

"I was wondering the same thing about wives"

Now that is funny!!!!

I am sure it has something to do with a bad "mesh"(gear)-- your car-- my wife!

I just couldn't go there about a bad " pinion" fit!!

Everything needs just a little room to breathe. --- pinion and spur that is.

Darrald
Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drsfly
"I was wondering the same thing about wives"

Now that is funny!!!!

I am sure it has something to do with a bad "mesh"(gear)-- your car-- my wife!

I just couldn't go there about a bad " pinion" fit!!

Everything needs just a little room to breathe. --- pinion and spur that is.

Darrald
Here I was thinking about ballgag to mouth tolerances...

I think the consensus is correct, worn out pinion/spurs will make nasty noises as will dirt lodged in the plastic spurs or even the cogs of a belt or pully.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

I have a wrecked spur and pinion on my ta-05. it runs properly but it sounds kinda funny. lol
Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

To get quiet car you need need precision made gears with the correct tooth profile. Thinner gears are usually quieter. 64 pitch are usually quieter than 48. Worn gears are louder. The rest of the drivetrain (gears in driveshaft cars and belts in belted cars) has to be clean and all bearings have to spin freely with no noticeable wear.

You're driving Tamiya, most Tamiyas come with metric gears that are like, but not the same, as 48 pitch. If you're using 48 pitch pinion with metric spur you'll get lot of noise.
Don't be fooled by exotic materials in pinions or spurs. My RRP steel pinions are much quieter than my Tir titanium pinions (both new) and the RRP are almost twice the width.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

if youre both running the exact same stock gearing and then noise isn't coming from the motor, then ya, its probably the meshing, though with the tt01, the meshing cannot be fine tuned, or not that i know of. it has specific mounting holes. make sure youre both using the proper mounting holes, and also try putting some gear lube on your gears too, and make sure its enough, check with local racers how much is enough. that should reduce the noise.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

PRS (Precision Racing Systems) has the largest variety, the most outstanding quality, and the BEST gear mesh in the business. All of our gears are machined so run-out is almost zero. What does this mean, with a zero runout the pinions and spurs run as perfectly true and straight as perfect can get. Our gears make NO NOISE when used together. The narrow tooth profile reduces friction and weight as well. PRS gears are a bit on the high side but you pay for what you get. Top of the line Racing Gears.

www.prsrc.com
Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing
PRS (Precision Racing Systems) has the largest variety, the most outstanding quality, and the BEST gear mesh in the business. All of our gears are machined so run-out is almost zero. What does this mean, with a zero runout the pinions and spurs run as perfectly true and straight as perfect can get. Our gears make NO NOISE when used together. The narrow tooth profile reduces friction and weight as well. PRS gears are a bit on the high side but you pay for what you get. Top of the line Racing Gears.

www.prsrc.com

I use a Precision spur on my JRXS. I have had many people comment that my car is almost silent compared to others...
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

www.prsrc.com
I totally agree, my only complaint is that the pinions don't fit the T2 all that well.
I had completely bought a 48p and 64p sets of your gears..... But the pinions are too tall to get the proper fit on the T2. When I used them on the RDX it was silent.

FOr the T2 the Xenon ones do the trick, they have two different set screw locations and are shorter.

Hope that gives you all the options you need.
And as for the TT-01 or the other Tamiya low cost kits...The gear mesh is setup by where the screws go into the motor, and isn't very efficent.
-Shookie <><
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I totally agree, my only complaint is that the pinions don't fit the T2 all that well.
I had completely bought a 48p and 64p sets of your gears..... But the pinions are too tall to get the proper fit on the T2. When I used them on the RDX it was silent.

FOr the T2 the Xenon ones do the trick, they have two different set screw locations and are shorter.

Hope that gives you all the options you need.
And as for the TT-01 or the other Tamiya low cost kits...The gear mesh is setup by where the screws go into the motor, and isn't very efficent.
-Shookie <><
What do you mean "Too tall"? Do you mean too wide? Our pinions are among the shortest available, and our countersunk spurs were re-designed to fit the T2.

Last edited by Tornado_Racing; 08-30-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What do you mean "Too tall"? Do you mean too wide? Our pinions are among the shortest available, and our countersunk spurs were re-designed to fit the T2.
I am not bashing.....I loved them on my RDX I did buy two complete sets...

Too tall means that where you have the set screw in relation to where the teeth are that distance is too far apart so that the when trying to attach to the motor the teeth will not line up.

If you set the teeth on a table........the height to the set screw is too tall.
That is my only complaint, as they just won't work with my T2 unless I shim the motor outward away from the motor mount and well that messes with center line weight. Using the stock or RW spurs recommended for the T2. That was what I was saying.
I will have to buy a newer redesigned spur, and try it with the pinions again.-Shookie <><
Old 08-30-2006, 07:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

CHanging a spur gear in a FK05 Sucks A$$! lol have to take the rear right or the rear left of the car off to get that dam layshsaft out!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I am not bashing.....I loved them on my RDX I did buy two complete sets...

Too tall means that where you have the set screw in relation to where the teeth are that distance is too far apart so that the when trying to attach to the motor the teeth will not line up.

If you set the teeth on a table........the height to the set screw is too tall.
That is my only complaint, as they just won't work with my T2 unless I shim the motor outward away from the motor mount and well that messes with center line weight. Using the stock or RW spurs recommended for the T2. That was what I was saying.
I will have to buy a newer redesigned spur, and try it with the pinions again.-Shookie <><
No problem, and by no means did I take your post as bashing. If we have problems with our products we like to hear about them so improvements can be made.

What do your pinions look like? We have had 2 different designs. Our latest called the "shorty" does not have the lip on the set screw side and the recessed area is much narrower.

Below is a pic of our "shorty" pinions (on the rack) and our older version. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Last edited by Tornado_Racing; 08-30-2006 at 08:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.