Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Technique Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Driving Technique Question...

I really struggle on the track whever there is a 180 turn (like the ones where it is just a 2X4 sticking out you have to go around). I can keep up with the local fast guys everywhere else on the track (for the most part). I just really seem to scrub speed on those. Im about a second slower per lap then them and there are 4 on the track. Any suggestions on what I can do to get better at taking them? I think I go into them too fast and end up losing speed on the turn and coming out of them. When I slow down though going into them I dont seem any faster.

I also sometimes have problems making the turn tight which I think is also due to trying to take them too fast.

Also my Sorex tires on the front seem to blister after one run where the fast guys can use them like 10 times without blistering.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you maybe running to soft a tire? What do u run on carpet or pavement? IF your blistering and they are not perhaps they run a hotter tire or your setup is working them to hard..

What are u running diff,spool or oneway? I find the sharp 180s and diff feel slow for me too.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If your car has a push (sounds like it does) then high speed 180s will give you trouble plus taking them too hot (sounds like you are) will make you lose speed and tires. Ask the faster guys for setup advice especially if they run the same car. Setup and the line/speed that you take the turn with is very important. If you slow down more/earlier you may find that you get through the turn faster by going in slower. Hope this helps.

Rod
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

It sounds like your relying too much on the front tires for grip. Set your car for more steering

Do you notice a push? Where in the corner does it push? (entry, middle or exit?)

Try taking the corners slow (like previously suggested) but if that doesn't help to your satisfaction (if you feel you can go faster) than go ahead and make some setup changes. Just remember, one change at a time.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Im running the same equipment as one of the fast guys. Same setup. I really think it might be my driving style. Though Im sure no two cars can in reality be setup correctly. My feeling is they are just more smooth in the driving.

It is a spool. RDX. Both in stock and 19T Im about a second per lap slower (on 14-15 seconds laps).
Old 08-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

As for a push I dont really feel it push but if I had to say it is coming out of the turn. Though Ive attributed that to going to fast into the turn but maybe that isnt the case?

Also Ive asked the guys for help with driving styles and setup. They will help with setup but not too much with my driving (which they say is my problem). Usually when they drive my car they are just as fast as when they use their own which is another thing that makes me think setup.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by or8ital
I'm running the same equipment as one of the fast guys. Same setup. I really think it might be my driving style. Though I'm sure no two cars can in reality be setup correctly. My feeling is they are just more smooth in the driving.

It is a spool. RDX. Both in stock and 19T I'm about a second per lap slower (on 14-15 seconds laps).
Driving style... A spool would be your problem, Big time push off throttle, So If are trying to roll the corner like you would do using a one way it's going to push big time, If you drive it deep into the corner you need to hit the brakes and get back on the throttle, don't hit the brakes and try to coast, if you do it's going to push. Are you running on carpet? Have you tried running a diff or a one way...A lot of questions... For me I don't like a spool on a tight carpet track, It has never suited my driving style. I will use a diff or a one way on a tight track. One thing to remember when using a spool, it pushes off throttle, steering on throttle. if you switch back to a diff you should soften up the front springs a bit. You do need to re-think your approach to corners, Watch how the other drivers are approaching the tighter corners and where their braking points are. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

setting up for the 180 turns is key to going fast and also car set up .. try a little roll on your throttle . as this will help with loosing some speed as the spool tends to scrub at inital turn in ... if the other guys are driving your car with no problem then chk there lines in those areas and see if you can mock them .. also might want to try a littl droop adjustment to get your car more neutral feeling .. with a spool .. come into the corner a little slower .. start a little wide then throttle thru mid corner to exit .. have fun ... markb.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Remember this when taking a corner:
Slow in fast out
Fast in never come out!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks guys for the help. It is an asphalt track. Pictures can be seen here:

http://thehobbyshoponline.com/Galler...s/Default.aspx
Old 08-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Lord

Nice track... I would use a oneway on that track... but then I dont like spools.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xxxkat
Driving style... A spool would be your problem, Big time push off throttle, So If are trying to roll the corner like you would do using a one way it's going to push big time, If you drive it deep into the corner you need to hit the brakes and get back on the throttle, don't hit the brakes and try to coast, if you do it's going to push. Are you running on carpet? Have you tried running a diff or a one way...A lot of questions... For me I don't like a spool on a tight carpet track, It has never suited my driving style. I will use a diff or a one way on a tight track. One thing to remember when using a spool, it pushes off throttle, steering on throttle. if you switch back to a diff you should soften up the front springs a bit. You do need to re-think your approach to corners, Watch how the other drivers are approaching the tighter corners and where their braking points are. Good luck and I hope this helps.
wow good info here, I posted a similar question. I thank you and this is'nt even my thread.
I too try to roll through the corners, but now I'll try to apply some throttle through it or use a one-way. thanks agian xxxkat, big help.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

If you like steering in go with the one way.
If you prefer rotation, and it does not sound like you do, stick with the spool.
If the one way is too much going in take some akerman to the progressive side. If it is still too much then go to a diff.

There is a difference between steering and rotation. Study this about your driving so you better understand what to consider.

It is all about what you like.
TEX
Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I don't know if this applies. But once I had a problem that was very similar where it only effected me in the hairpins. It was that was caused by my servo being too fast. I would steer in and because the servo was so fast it would cause the push(since it would cause the front tires to react too quickly). I did two things to help me. One was to slow down the servo(if you have a radio that can do that). The other was to remember to steer slowly in a hairpin corner even if my mind wanted to go to full lock quickly. It helped a lot for me.

Just offering another idea. Especially since it seems that your setup is the same as the fast guys.