2006 International Indoor Championships @ Las Vegas, Nevada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2006 International Indoor Championships @ Las Vegas, Nevada

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Well this was also my first international event and I had a blast. I can't thank Scotty and the gang enough for putting on such a great event!!! I would especially like to thank Doug at the scoring booth for helping me out when I was experiencing transponder issues.

I will defiinitely be back there next year!!!!

A big thanks to Jeff Brown and Todd Putnam for giving me some good advice!

See everybody next year!!

Jim Huppunen
Crunch Concepts
Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Boomer, Scotty,

Thanks for a great event. Scotty I greatly appreciate you announcing my 'lower main' with the same vigor and intensity as you did the factory drivers (missed winning by .004). It definitely made me feel that the whole week was money well spent.

Charlie (novak),
Thanks for the hats and shirts.
Jeff (brood),
Thanks for the brushes and springs. My motors were fast all week (the driver sucks though, need to work on the skills).
Xray camp,
Thanks for the steering blocks.
Mark (C and P Racing),
Thanks for the motor cooler. Frosty is Faster.

Thanks,
E
Old 09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yeti35
I am not familiar with the Paragon you mentioned but if if has a smell anywhere close to the Ground Effects you won't see it at IIC. The smell or lack there of is why we used Jack.
The Paragon that Michael is talking about is completely odorless but works 10X better than Jack. Jack the gripper has worse health effect's than any other tire compound out there. I still have blisters on my hands from using that stuff all last week!! Paragon just has a bad smell (or good smell if you like bengay ).

EA
Old 09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

EA is right Paragon traction action is odorless just like gripper but it works a LOT BETTER it does have pretty decent traction. You can even spray a whole track and run on it in 15 minutes it has no oil of wintergreen so it doesn't smell and traction is almost instant.

I'm just asking that something else be considered.

I like scotty and think he did a great job so don't think I'm dogging the race I just think the issue needs to be thought about and addressed concerning the traction.

you might think the few of us on here complaining are just whiners but I guarantee you that HUNDREDS of people were complaining at the race they just won't say it on here.

yeah you are right last year it was on top of carpet. was this a 2nd story floor or was it on the ground this year? just wondering.

Michael
Old 09-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Todd Putnam
Almost forgot...BIG CONGRATS on team Vivid Video with the 1-2-3 sweep in 1/12th stock. Talk about a cool team...
Correct me if i am wrong, jeff cuffs won stock 12th right? so he isnt with trinity anymore? that is a big shocker. anyone know?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Default My .02

In my opinion all of this talk about the traction at the IIC (dont hate on me for this) but is sounds like a bunch of whining did we attend a World Class Event or a big club race? Part of any kind of r/c racing, especially a race of this caliber comes down to not only who is the best behind the radio, but also who is the best behind the scenes, who can adjust to the current track conditions on the fly just like any other type of racing wheather it's r/c or Nascar they get pit stops to make adjustments we get hours between runs and the time should be spent observing whats going on in front of you even if you have to wait till 2 or 3 heats b4 yours to decide what you are gonna do.....That's what defines the best from the rest in my opinion....Tito

And if you look at the heat boards, thats what happened the best still rose to the top and it was not just because they are good wheelers, none of them did it with bad cars!!!!

The rest of us should sit back and take notes.....there's something to be learned here.....

Last edited by santinuchi; 09-28-2006 at 01:52 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
My main complaint is the lack of triple A mains. I know this is the norm in the U.S., but feel that to be a truly international event, and set it apart from lesser U.S. races, this should be adopted. The added benefit is that usually the first legs are the first races of the day, so you will likely see more people racing in their lower mains (for spectators' sake) as they will make it a point to be up early.

Bingo....this is a good idea.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The track was on the ground floor last year. I know the reason for the odorless compound and I'm all for it. That's my biggest complaint about SoCal is the Paragon cloud that is left in that building. I don't think anyone would want to race in that at the IIC and I don't think the hotel would let us back if that were to happen. If the odorless works well and is truly odorless, I think it should be considered. Jack is pretty nasty stuff.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by santinuchi
In my opinion all of this talk about the traction at the IIC (dont hate on me for this) but is sounds like a bunch of whining did we attend a World Class Event or a big club race? Part of any kind of r/c racing, especially a race of this caliber comes down to not only who is the best behind the radio, but also who is the best behind the scenes, who can adjust to the current track conditions on the fly just like any other type of racing wheather it's r/c or Nascar they get pit stops to make adjustments we get hours between runs and the time should be spent observing whats going on in front of you even if you have to wait till 2 or 3 heats b4 yours to decide what you are gonna do.....That's what defines the best from the rest in my opinion....Tito

And if you look at the heat boards, thats what happened the best still rose to the top and it was not just because they are good wheelers, none of them did it with bad cars!!!!

The rest of us should sit back and take notes.....there's something to be learned here.....
Yes and no!! YOur right that everyone had to adapt, but what others are saying is this race is US racing, indoors on carpet with traction compound and that means to the majority of us high bite. Outdoors, sure-your agument holds true 100%. Morning, afternon, humiid, direct sun on track, shade, rain washes away grip.....This is indoors in a controlled environment.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion you have yours I have mine.

touring cars don't have traction issues like 12th scales do.

usually in 12th you run grey or white rears and purple or black fronts in stock you hardly EVER vary from this

with the low bite in stock people ran pink, or dbl pink rears, and dbl pink or purple fronts. you didn't know coming in that traction would be low. so now instead brining 4-5 sets of a couple of tires you have to try and use up all kinds of different tires... touring car hardly ever changes.

So if I'm a whiner then so be it I guess I'll be one at my own track next year watching online.

Michael
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

As the traction was very high last year at vegas, high at the nats and high at the novak race, jack isn't the culprit. I too struggled and didn't really find a good resolution to a lower traction setup, but many did. We all race the same track in the end.

I would prefer higher traction, but again part of going to a race is dealing with unexpected conditions, layouts etc. Its just part of racing, and more than likely conditions will be different next year.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

hpi-guy yes jeff still runs for trinity but he runs for todds second busniess and its only legal in two states ..

to everyone saying its the traction compound its tires its this its that stop it already cleveland was the same way and we all ran paragon so what if the bite didnt come up work on the car and if you spent a ton of money to come to the race whats another 30 bucks for a extra set of tires you didnt bring . hell next year just by tires their they are usually cheaper anyway ..
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

I don’t think Jack was the issue with the traction this year. There are plenty of other races that only use it and get plenty of traction. There was something else at work here. The one thing that I did notice this year with Jack was that my hands didn’t hurt as bad as they do when I use it at other races. This might be because the air was so dry. At the Stardust I really had issues towards the end of the event and this is in the same dry desert...so I still think it came down to the AC or HVAC system that is in place in the room.

If you noticed the first couple of days it was really cold in the room and the grip was really low....then when the golf show opened up the room was warmer and the traction came up. This might be because now the AC is shared over two large rooms. That might lead you to think that AC is really what was messing up the traction.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hpi_guy
Correct me if i am wrong, jeff cuffs won stock 12th right? so he isnt with trinity anymore? that is a big shocker. anyone know?
Jeff still runs for Trinity...and he did win 1/12th Stock...
Vivid is a mere associate sponsor of the top 3 stars that finished in 1/12th Stock...
Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Lord

I think people go to large carpet races with the assumption that it's going to be extremely high bite, since that's what normally happens. It's a reasonable assumption, don't you think? I can understand why people might be frustrated by low traction, especially if they didn't prepare for it. When you're traveling, I imagine you don't want to carry around a bunch of stuff you don't think you're going to need.

This event is universally loved. The feedback people are giving is fair, and can only help make the event even better in the future. The traction thing isn't anybody's fault, but if it's possible to address it in future races, and discussion helps get us to that point, then so be it. Telling people to shut up about it isn't the right thing to do.

Big races are an opportunity for teams to learn about their cars, and for consumers to benefit from that knowledge. Learning how to tune a car designed for high-traction carpet on a slip-n-slide may not be all that beneficial to teams since it's kind of an unusual circumstance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.