Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cooper head trinity P2K????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default cooper head trinity P2K????????

ok i have one of these motors?? it came with a car i brought and that car was put in a box for around a month maybe longer!

When i first got the car i ran it indooors and it worked fine, very pounchy.

now i have got the car out for my brothers birthday present, we installed the freshly charged battery and pushed the throttle, to find the motor was extremely slow?? not only that but on the end wher the connector leads are the motor goes bright white when used?? like in the centre of the end.

Why is this happend?? i can see their are screws to allow access inside the motor but with no experiance i have no idea whats wrong or how to fix it.

for now i have installed a silver can from my tl01 and the car runs ok but is this motor worth saving or jus buying a new one.

the car uses its original msc etc, if thats of any help

the close up picture is of where the light appears!!
Attached Thumbnails cooper head trinity P2K????????-dsc00065.jpg   cooper head trinity P2K????????-dsc00064.jpg  
Old 08-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

By the sounds of it the motor needss to be trued, it make the comm, the spinning part inside where the sparks are coming from, needs to be made round and smooth again.

You can either go to a hobby shop and ask them to do it for you or go to a local track and someone should have a comm lathe and do it for you.

The motor shouldn't be dead but you may need to replace the brushes as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

springs might have gotten too loose.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Give the motor a good rebuild and it should work fine again.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

well i definately have no idea how to rebuild a motor and im sure i havent got the right tolls.

i will put a post on my local tracks site and see if someone their could do it for me.

is it a hard job?? could it be done by the track?? and would it cost much i mean will most people ask for a bit of money because it costs them??

cheers
Old 08-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Motor rebuild

Originally Posted by creamsodauk
well i definately have no idea how to rebuild a motor and im sure i havent got the right tolls.

i will put a post on my local tracks site and see if someone their could do it for me.

is it a hard job?? could it be done by the track?? and would it cost much i mean will most people ask for a bit of money because it costs them??

cheers
The job of motor rebuilding is not hard at all with the right tools. If you dont want to purchase the tools to do it, most anyone at the track will only charge a couple of bucks to turn the commutator and install new brushes for you.
If you have a local hobby shop...look for either Trinity #4499 or Reedy 767 brushes and bring them with you to the track. If there is no hobby shop close by..most motor rebuilders carry extra brushes that I am sure will be glad to sell you a set.

Jeff Landry
-Mota Man ~ Team Enigma
Old 08-26-2006, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

i hear u can clean a motor out using wd-40 can anyone confirm this and explain how its done?? im sure this motor is jus a little dirty dusty extra as it ran fine and then got worse without use so im sure a clean will do the trick
Old 08-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

WD-40 is a cleaner, lubracant, de-ruster, rust protector. I'd use motor spray preferably, but WD-40 works. you just smell burning wd-40 every time you run the motor.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

so i doose the entire engine in engine spray or wd40, then what do i rinse the engine in water??

do i leave everything on the engine or do i need to strip it down??

thanks for the help so far
Old 08-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default Motor cleaning...

Use a good quality electrical contact cleaner. Followed by a small drop of a thin oil, if you dont have motor bushing oil on each end of the motor. Just a small drop is all it takes. Rotate the motor shaft a few times and you are good to go.

WD40?...I wouldnt use it to clean or lubricate an electric anything.

IMHO...
Jeff
Old 08-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html

This has some good information...it may give you a little better understanding...

Jeff
Old 08-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My advice is leave the motor alone until someone who is experienced can sit down with you and teach you how to maintain it. It is not a difficult process...but it can sound difficult if you have never done it. Believe me....spending 30 minutes with someone and working hand in hand with them is going to help you more right now than anything else.

After you have a working knowledge and feel you can properly maintain your motors, then websights like the one posted will be more beneficial. I think if you went there now you would do more harm than good.

Bob
Old 08-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you felt like shipping it I would be glad to true the comm and install new brushes and springs for you. I live I FL so you might want to consider how long it will take and shipping. Brushes are 4.95 a pair and springs are like a 1.50 a pair. I turn it tune it and ship it back to you.