Wiki Posts
Search

looking for a custom motor maker

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default looking for a custom motor maker

i found a site once that would custom wind an electric motor for you. im talkng you tell them you want a 1X7 and they will make it. they also had great info on what turns and what winds where the best for certain applications. anyone have a site like this??

Matt
Old 08-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Br00d will wind up pretty much whatever you want.

A 1x7 would be a difficult wind though. Thats lots of wire to wrap on the comm tabs...
Old 08-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

lol, i kno i was just using that as an example. the site had lots of info and little drop down menus to select wire size/type, wind, turn, they even had options for dirrerent winding layout(pyramid, block, and like 2 more i think). i want to find that site!

Matt
Old 08-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

there are a lot of great motor builders out there, brood is very good, ea motor sports, axiom and my favorite putnum propulsion! all can do custom mod motors!
but remember you can have horsepower and the best batterys in the world, but practice and driving skills you cant buy!
also lets not forget about how important tires and foams are!
Old 08-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

lol, ill be running it offroad untill i can get a TC. i want the site for the info not nessecarily the motors.

Matt
Old 08-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Just a thought, but maybe you should have considered starting a thread asking the motor questions you need answers for.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

He did.

He wanted to know what the site was that had that info on it. Apparently, in addition to lots of cool info, they ALSO wound the motors.

Sorry, I don't have the answer you are looking for.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

ok well i guess i will make a thread about it as well as ask my questions here. the questions are as follows:
1. im running a 4wd buggy(an MRC academy SB Pro) and im looking to be able to run well on a track made for 1/10 nitro.
2. if you say a 10 turn motor what wind, single? double? tripple? quadruple?
3. what are the pros and cons of running a higher wind?
4. i hate rebuilding motors so will any of the above options affect comm life?
5. whats a good general rule for gearing mod motors?
6. i have heard alot about team checkpoint motors, are they realy getting 30+ runs on a single comm cut?
7. how would a 19T spec motor be in my buggy?
8. im running a GT7 esc at the moment, what capacitors and such should i install on my motors?

Matt
Old 08-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A 1 turn won't work....a turn is low as you can go....and even then, they rarely work.....

To answer your questions....

1. If its a really big track a 8x2 or 9x2 would probably work best....smaller tracks will often use 10x2
2. 10 turn means each segment has 10 turns of wire around it.....if it says single, that means ONE strand of wire is wound 10 turns around it. A double is two smaller wires wound 10 turns around each segment, triple is three, and so on.....
3. AS you go down in winds, you will inherently gain more power, as the lower winds produce more RPM than torque they give up.....the lower the turns, the more battery power they need and the more often they need to be rebuilt.....in the end, wind selection should be based on class, track, driving style and equipment capablities (ie, how good your batteries, ESC, etc are). An easy way to figure out winds is to see what the fast guys at your local track run.....and then buy a selction based off that....so if they run say a 10x2 in 4wd mod....you are probably best getting a 10x2, 9x2, and 11x2....should have you covered for most tracks with your 4wd...
4. 4wd offroad is the most abusive class in offroad, as they had a lot of drag compared to a 2wd car. The lower the wind, the more often it will need to be rebuilt to stay running good.
5. I always start off what the fast guys are running (find one with a similar motor type and wind)....start from there and go up or down, depending on your driving style and batteries.
6. 20-40 runs is not unheard of......you can do the same with a cobalt 2 (with Elipse brushes) or V2 (with Enduro Brushes). Offroad motors get way more runs that a onroad motor, so you get more runs between rebuilds.
7. A 19t would be a step up from a stock, but not quite a mod....on many many offroad tracks, 19t equipped cars are often as fast most mod buggies, just depends on the track size.
8. Just a schottky diode.....all the top mods have the rest of the capacitors already installed on their circuit boards.

Later EddieO
Old 08-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

If you are looking for a motor for a specifica application, you should try giving Team Orion a call. You can speak with Joe Pillars or Derek Furutani about what would work best for you. Derek wound the last two world championship winning motors and Joe is in charge of fine tuning at events.

Whatever you need, Team Orion can supply.