R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Hudy Comm and Tire Lathes (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/12606-hudy-comm-tire-lathes.html)

warlord385 01-29-2003 01:18 AM

Hudy Comm and Tire Lathes

Should i get a hudy comm and tire lathe with v-guides or bearings. Whats the difference.

heres what i plan to get

1. Hudy Multipack Comm Lathe
2. #10 2801 HUDY UNIVERSAL TIRE TRUER (110V)

Opinions and Suggestions Please?

fasterdanu 01-29-2003 02:01 AM

my suggestion's and my opinion's are
get the hudy fully automatic comm lathe ive got one gives the best cut i ever seen and is really easy t setup and use. yes this lathe costs more but i'll come back to it and explain

don't even think of getting a hudy tyer lathe they are way over priced go from one made buy a company called q-world if you take a look at the team corally site you'll see there only tyer truer this is the one, it's made by corally but with a q-world sticker on it i swear buy these thing's there fully auto and half the price i have never seen any one have a poblem with one

i'm not sure on exact price but let's say u wan't ta spend $1000 max so you buy a multipack lathe let's say $400 and you get a non auto tyer truer from hudy thats way over priced for $600 or you get an hudy auto lathe $700 and a q-world auto tyer truer $200 you end up with a much better lathe and auto tyer truer thats just awesome for the same price

hope this helps:p ;)

warlord385 01-29-2003 04:21 AM

thanks but what are the differences between ball bearings and V-blocks. Also can the q world accept hudy bits and can it tro 24-32mm width tires?

warlord385 01-29-2003 04:22 AM

does the hudy automatic cut stock motors?

Jack Smash 01-29-2003 10:07 AM

get the v-blocks. Bearings have a tiny bit of slop that may or may not effect your cut. Bearings develop more slop over time and the tiny copper shavings could bind them up. Twister lathes with v-blocks are still around and still cut very well.

Boomer 01-29-2003 10:41 AM

Man, twister lathes are just silk! I wish I still had mine. . .

Anyway, V-Blocks are superior to bearings. Bearings may be superior when they're brand new, but they get stuff in them, they wear out and then they get slop in them - slop=bad especially in lathes. They can also develop some bounce=VERY bad. V-blocks don't get those problems. Just add a drop of oil and you're good to go.

Since you're probably only going to be using rebuildable stock motors, the answer is yes.

As for the Hudy tire lathe, you can't go wrong with it if you can afford it. It IS overpriced. I don't know about the one that fasterdanu mentioned, but the Cobra is also very good and MUCH less expensive than the Hudy.

Of course, the Hudy is automated, which is tres cool. . .:sneaky:

rod_b 01-29-2003 10:48 AM

Hudy is supposedly the best. I have a Hudy tire lathe that I got used for really cheap and I'm happy with it. Ofna makes a fully automatic one that is almost a direct replica of the Hudy for about $250. You can barely get a manual Hudy for that much. Also Integy just came out with a new tire lathe and it looks pretty good. Very affordable. Manual operation but if it works well and is cheap, who cares.

As for comm lathes, definitely get carbide v-blocks. I have the Integy Xipp lathe and it works great and cheaper than Hudy.

KINGZJ 01-29-2003 11:35 AM

I have the new Integy tire lathe and I like it allot no complaints and I have trued a bunch of tires on it now

tufferwilde 01-29-2003 11:46 AM

Or try the Ofna Tire Truer - same as the Hudy... just with Ofna on the side!

Hudy does, however, offer some very nice accessories for their truer!

Regarding the comm lathe... Hudy is the best one on the market... hands down. As stated earlier, the v guides are superior to bearings over the test of time.

Wilde

warlord385 01-29-2003 12:48 PM

i have 12 amp dc power supply. Is it possible for me to run tire lathe and comm lathe. Together or Seperately????

elnitro 01-29-2003 05:39 PM

You don't want a Hudy Multipack unless you still have a lot of OLDER stock motors with sealed endbells. The multipack will let you true comms while it is still in the can. Newer rebuildable stock motors can be disassembled just like mods. Take a look at the Hudy Advanced or Hudy Tech lathe and save a few bucks. The Hudy truer that you are thinking of getting with the 110 ac is a fine choice. Actually, you can't go wrong with any Hudy products.

Boomer 01-30-2003 12:19 AM

Originally posted by warlord385
i have 12 amp dc power supply. Is it possible for me to run tire lathe and comm lathe. Together or Seperately????
For the comm lathe, you will need something to bring down the voltage. I use the Integy dyno. You only want, like, 4 -6 volts or so, not 12. Shoot, our battery packs are only 7.2 volts and it's recommended to use a 4-cell pack for a lathe which is only ~6 volts.

The tire lathe? Yeah, that will run on a 12v power supply. 12 amps should do as well.