R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #13111
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

OK, I am down to the last few bits to get this car ready for VTA racing, and I need some gearing suggestions. I asked one of the local guys running a TC3 in the class, and he is running a 55 Spur and 45 pinion so that comes out to a final of 3.056 on the TC3 chassis. To be competitive I need to be around that range. I currently have a 98 and a 90 tooth spur but would need to use a 59 or 54 tooth pinion to be at that final drive and doubt that there is enough room to fit those pinions on those spurs in this car. I have checked on PRS website and they do not have any spur gears or pinions listed in stock so the question is what spur gears can I fit on the PRS adapter, and what spur pinion can I fit that ill get me to around 3.056 range?

Thanks,

Kurtis
cegpcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #13112
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

Gearchart.com and it should help you out with list of possible combinations.
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #13113
Tech Apprentice

OK, so I went on a gear search to maybe find something that would work on the PRS adapter, and picked up a 72t and a 74t Spur as well as a 42,43,44,and 45t Pinions. This should give me enough options to range from 3.14 to 3.01. I really wish that they would put a gear ratio range in our local rules. These ratios seem like they will really be working over the motor and ESC pretty hard.

Edit: Does anybody know what all Spur gear brands mount up to the PRS Spur adapter, it seems to be getting hard to find PRS spurs.

Last edited by cegpcola; 04-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #13114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegpcola View Post
OK, so I went on a gear search to maybe find something that would work on the PRS adapter, and picked up a 72t and a 74t Spur as well as a 42,43,44,and 45t Pinions. This should give me enough options to range from 3.14 to 3.01. I really wish that they would put a gear ratio range in our local rules. These ratios seem like they will really be working over the motor and ESC pretty hard.

Edit: Does anybody know what all Spur gear brands mount up to the PRS Spur adapter, it seems to be getting hard to find PRS spurs.
I've used Kimbrough as well as PRS and APS. It's not so much brand as the inner hole pattern (6 hole). All PRS gears don't have the 6 hole pattern so even some PRS gears won't work.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #13115
Tech Apprentice

Well, I got my Gears in,but unfortunately I didn't think about the limits of adjustibility on the Motor mount, and the Spurs are to small for any of the Pinions to be adjusted for. So I bought a couple of more Pinions to use with my 90-96 Spur gears.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #13116
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegpcola View Post
Well, I got my Gears in,but unfortunately I didn't think about the limits of adjustibility on the Motor mount, and the Spurs are to small for any of the Pinions to be adjusted for. So I bought a couple of more Pinions to use with my 90-96 Spur gears.
That is a low FDR for VTA. Try a 110 spur and get a 100 Spur if you need to go taller and pinion gears from 45 to 54.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #13117
Tech Adept

On my vta car I am running a 100t spur and a 50-51-52 tooth pinion depending on what the layout is like.
brettweir78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #13118
Tech Apprentice

The problem is that To keep up I am going to have to be down around 3.10 at least since everyone is gearing the crap out of their cars. I am sure that I can keep most of them at bay in the corners, but they would drive right around me down the stretch. Also I never really know what the track layout will be since it is a parking lot course. I am going to start by gearing it around 3.30ish at first and see how it works against them. I will give up a little down the stretch I think but I think It will be a good place to start. The car feels very well dialed in on the asphalt when I tested it yesterday.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #13119
Tech Apprentice

So, 2 race weekends in with the type R in VTA, and I have the car handling very well. The problem I am having is that I am giving up a little power overall. I am running the Novak Edge with the Ballistic 25.5 and a Final Drive ratio of 3.04 with and then a 41 tooth pulley out back, so actual ratio is slightly lower. I played with timing today, and started out at 15 degrees and then in the second race 30 degrees and 45 degrees in the main. The 30 degree timing felt the best, but I was still giving up top end to everyone else. The first week out I ran 3.09 with 42 tooth pulleys on both ends, with the same results roughly. Most of those guys are running 3.06 and 30 degrees of timing, so I am very close on the ratio. I am thinking that I am giving up a little punch with my Turnigy 4000mah 30C battery packs.

So with all of that aid, does anyone know of another pack that fits as well as these packs do with a better C rating?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14988

Those are what I am currently running but need a little more punch out of my packs since these guys are gearing the snot out of the cars in VTA here!

Wonder how these would fit, they are 4mm longer, and 1mm taller and wider.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-5250SS-74-Bullet-Pack.htm

Last edited by cegpcola; 05-20-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #13120
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

IMO, you're not giving up any punch with those packs in VTA. Maybe you're just not quite on the sweet spot for your motor? At any rate, I run this car in 17.5 TC using the Turnigy Nano-tech 4200's. They "are" 40C.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #13121
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post
IMO, you're not giving up any punch with those packs in VTA. Maybe you're just not quite on the sweet spot for your motor? At any rate, I run this car in 17.5 TC using the Turnigy Nano-tech 4200's. They "are" 40C.
This pack?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

If so did you do any mods to get them to fit, as they are the same demensions as the Max amps pack I posted.

I guess I really want to know what the absolute max demensions that will fit without modding.

As far as the sweetspot goes, I have messed around with it and just give up top end to everyone else and I am extremely close on the gearing. Just not sure where to find the extra little bit at.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #13122
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Yep! That's the one. It fits because of the shape. It is shaped like a Nimh stick pack. Its edges are rounded so the first couple mm of height where it fits in the tray is smaller than the tray width itself. It is actually a bit sloppy so I layered up some foam tape strips under the top tray toward the front to keep it from moving around. Also I trimmed the forward end of the tray where it slides up unto the chassis. That lip makes it more difficult than necessary to get ANY battery in this car and is completely unnecessary when there are four screws holding it up.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #13123
Tech Apprentice

Hmm....I might have to look into cycling a couple of those packs into my rotation of batteries.

As far as where to find more speed, I am at a loss. I havethrown everything I can at my gearing and timing and they still pull me hard. It would be easier if I could find a Brushless dyno that I could check RPM on with various Timing changes, but I have yet to find one left on the market anywhere. I might just need to buy the Novak Sentry to log with for a little bit until I can find the right gearing and timing to run with those guys. Any other thoughts on where I could gain a little would be welcome.

The car is on rails....well as good as it gets on VTA tires and extreme track temps on our outdoor track here it Florida. I am eating most of them up (fasterthan all of them) in the tight technical section, but it just isn't enough in the large sweeping turns and the front stretch of the outer oval.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #13124
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

use a shorty lipo pack, mount the speedo between the pack and motor to the back of the lipo tray. leave a bit of flex in the wires so u can slide the tray up and get batteries out easily.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #13125
Tech Apprentice

Thanks! I actually might have found my problem. I noticed some grooves in the pulleys on my top-shaft, so I looked and saw that the upper deck was rubbing pretty good on both of them as well as on my front diff pulley. I pulled the upper deck and filed it down so I now have about 1-1.5mm of room around them to account for any flex in the top shaft at high RPM.