R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #13096
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When rebuilding the LCD driveshafts, what is recommended for lubrication, grease or oil? I have always used teflon oil on my normal cvd driveshafts but I realize the LCD's aren't normal so whats best for them?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #13097
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

The best thing is the lubricant that is in the rebuild kit or that Losi suggest I think it is still available.
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #13098
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

OK, I recently purchased a Type R, and am in the process of getting everything to go VTA racing. I have the motor and ESC on the way, but The last peice of the puzzle is the batteries. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good 2s 5000 MAH Lipo that will fit within this chassis. I do have the Exotek upper deck on it. Thanks in advance!

Kurtis
cegpcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #13099
Tech Fanatic

I know the orion platinum two and trakpower gold lips fit this chassis but they are 20c and 25c lips you have to remember also when this car was bit it was ahead of its time as far as lipos go. So a lot of the big lipo batteries might not fit it. I know some fantom lipo's fit but could not tell you which ones.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #13100
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Here's the packs I use. They fit the tray perfectly. I even had room to add a 2mm spacer to take up the slack front to back. And run time is no problem. I run boosted modified 5 minute races and unly use at most 35 to 40% out of the pack.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #13101
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Lessen

You will find that MANY 5000+ lipos are too thick to fit properly. I was using Losi 20C packs (LOSB9861) and they fit fine. The thing is, for VTA class you don't need 5000mah. 5000 is that MAX as defined by USVTA. You can get away with using 4200's or something which are generally considerably thinner.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #13102
Tech Apprentice

I agree that 5000 are not needed for the class, however I am/was looking mostly for ease of using the same packs between a few classes if needed later. I might not go with 5000s and just settle for a few 4000 packs. Thanks for all the input
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #13103
Tech Addict

You won't want to use the same pack between two classes without recharging it. I mean, if you're REALLY new then in all reality it won't matter if you're just learning to drive, but you want to keep in mind that once you begin to discharge the pack the voltage begins to drop. Even if you only use 1200 mah through a VTA heat you won't have the same voltage that you started that heat with when you start your next one. Voltage is horsepower and we all like as much as we can get.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #13104
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post
You won't want to use the same pack between two classes without recharging it. I mean, if you're REALLY new then in all reality it won't matter if you're just learning to drive, but you want to keep in mind that once you begin to discharge the pack the voltage begins to drop. Even if you only use 1200 mah through a VTA heat you won't have the same voltage that you started that heat with when you start your next one. Voltage is horsepower and we all like as much as we can get.

Thanks, however I don't think you understood what I meant. I am not talking about using the same packs within the same day between classes, but more so talking about having a backup class available if we do not have enough show up for VTA. By going with a higher mah, I could use the packs in a class that I might use hotter motors that would pull more out of the battery packs. I am thinking about racing offroad at another track here locally as well, so again having the ability to use the same batteries across any class I run would be helpfull. I appriciate your concerns about my low post count, but I am far from new with RC! I have been racing RC cars for the last 20 years off and on, so I am very familiar with voltage dropping across discharge however this is nowhere near as bad as it was back then. When our race packs were 1700 mah matched NiCads, Dumping was very drastic across the run, but the Lipos do not seem to have near the amount of change. I have spent the last 10 years running nitro cars and admit that I have not been on top of all the changes in the electric side of things though.

Sorry, but I shuld have explained what I was saying in my previous post a little better.

Kurtis
Old 04-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #13105
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run Promatch 5000 mah with a 25C. The only problem with the batteries is that you have to remove the top deck and the battery tray to install them. The battery can be removed if need be, its just a pain. I charge the battery in the car and store the battery in the car.

I know that some people are running shorty packs and have good success with them.

On a postive side at least you are not putting a lipo battery into the mid motor JRXS; not that was fun.

Chris
ChrisR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #13106
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR40 View Post
I run Promatch 5000 mah with a 25C. The only problem with the batteries is that you have to remove the top deck and the battery tray to install them. The battery can be removed if need be, its just a pain. I charge the battery in the car and store the battery in the car.

I know that some people are running shorty packs and have good success with them.

On a postive side at least you are not putting a lipo battery into the mid motor JRXS; not that was fun.

Chris
Thanks, I ended up going with these since they will be more than plenty for VTA class. I wish I could find one of the Flying Fox layshafts, but I ordered a couple more of the PRS adapters and got them in the other day for backups just incase something happenes to the one I have on the car.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Now I just need to figure out what Pinion and Spur combo I need to run to keep up with the local guys. I went to the last race they had to try and get a peek at some of the VTA setups they are running but they didn't have enough VTA guys show up which was odd for them.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #13107
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegpcola View Post
Now I just need to figure out what Pinion and Spur combo I need to run to keep up with the local guys. I went to the last race they had to try and get a peek at some of the VTA setups they are running but they didn't have enough VTA guys show up which was odd for them.
I think that batt. will do you just fine.

How big is your local track? My local spot is 90x40 and most guys run about 3.80 FDR. I was running a 106 spur on a Precision Racing adapter with a 51T pinion. I don't think you can physically fit a large enough pinion to get under 4.0FDR using the smallest (118T) Losi spur.

Back in stock...
http://www.precisionracingsystems.co...S-Adapter.html
Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #13108
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I have a total of 3 of the PRS adapters now just in case anything goes wrong. I have about 7 different spur sizes all the way down to a 96, but I will have to try and get some info from the local guys. Since none of the VTA guys came out last week, they only did an oval layout so I am not sure what size track they are running now when the VTAs run.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #13109
Tech Regular

Hey guys Im about to get a losi jrxs in a trade tomorrow..what is the difference between the regular and the R model?

Where can I get parts for this Jrxs?
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #13110
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquito View Post
Hey guys Im about to get a losi jrxs in a trade tomorrow..what is the difference between the regular and the R model?

Where can I get parts for this Jrxs?
My suggestion would be to not get the JRXS. The Type R is more up to date. In the type R they took the motor from the middle of the car and put it to the rear. You can still get parts at amainhobbies, losipartshouse, and ebay. Also the Type R is more lipo friendly than the regular JRXS