R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #13051
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post
To my knowledge Losi is still making parts. I've gone through a fair share in the past year since I started racing and Amain seems to always have what I need. This car seems to be quite popular in the VTA crowd and honestly probably isn't off the mark in the right hands in TC either. At least that's the impression I've gotten from othersthe since I started.
It is an awesome car in TC for that is all I ran it in when I was still running. I got a lot of help for setups from former drivers Mike Haynes and Larry Fairtrace. I liked it on both carpet and asphalt with foams and rubber. Foam of course only on carpet.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #13052
Tech Adept

I could use some advise with my car. What shock oil and springs would anybody recomend. I currently use 30wt oil with 15lb front & 20lb rear spring on road with std tc3 tires. Also I have a 13.5 brushless novak with 34 pinion 90 spur.

Drive it fast, climb it slow and what ever you do, do it pzazz!!!
MasterPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #13053
Tech Adept

Maxamps 6000mah Lipo in my JRXS. I am building a second car and will use another Maxamps 6000mah Lipo and post pics. I could not fit a hard case Lipo in the car. I had use a washer to push the battery slightly because of rubbing. Now flawless fit just use duct tape to cover area battery works perfect still.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi JRXS Type-R-02042012-529.jpg   Team Losi JRXS Type-R-02042012-528.jpg   Team Losi JRXS Type-R-02042012-527.jpg  

Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #13054
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPlan View Post
I could use some advise with my car. What shock oil and springs would anybody recomend. I currently use 30wt oil with 15lb front & 20lb rear spring on road with std tc3 tires. Also I have a 13.5 brushless novak with 34 pinion 90 spur.
You can start with swapping the 20lb'ers to the front and 15 to the back. I ran 40wt shock oil all around with 12lb springs rear and 17.5 front when I ran my jrxsr in rcgt.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #13055
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

Quote:
Maxamps 6000mah Lipo in my JRXS. I am building a second car and will use another Maxamps 6000mah Lipo and post pics. I could not fit a hard case Lipo in the car. I had use a washer to push the battery slightly because of rubbing. Now flawless fit just use duct tape to cover area battery works perfect still.
I guess your lucky enough to where the track manager let's you run a hack lipo like that. My track guy would not let us. To get a lipo to fit it's dimensions must be 137mmx45mmx25mm or as close to that as possible. If you can try and get a hold of some new or used trakpower 4900's the gold ones or even Orion platinum two's.

Just like Duckstang said I would put the 20lb springs in the front and maybe get some 17.5lbs in the rear.
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #13056
Tech Elite

Quote:
That does not look safe at all and I would not want to be around when that battery goes.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #13057
Tech Adept

LOL! The battery is fine...I have had this battery for more than 4 years like this. I had a 4.5 motor in the car at first and that is why the damage is there. I have check it out and used a thin layer of CA to ensure sealing. It may not be preaty but it works. Thanks again every body for the advice for setup. I will be rebuilding the car this week due to Murphy's Law. DNF the main due to pinion and shock tower screw coming loose. I tell ya.... I love this car still!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #13058
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

My home track was lucky enough to be chosen as the track for the 2012 paved electric Nats. That being said how does this car stack up against the current crop of race cars? I was planning to run non-ramping 17.5 and VTA. I already have a VTA ride, so I was looking around to see if a Losi could be purchased reasonably.

The track is a huge, smooth asphalt track. Videos can be found on youtube under Leisure Hours Raceway.

Thanks for your input.
Ray Kindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #13059
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom View Post
My home track was lucky enough to be chosen as the track for the 2012 paved electric Nats. That being said how does this car stack up against the current crop of race cars? I was planning to run non-ramping 17.5 and VTA. I already have a VTA ride, so I was looking around to see if a Losi could be purchased reasonably.

The track is a huge, smooth asphalt track. Videos can be found on youtube under Leisure Hours Raceway.

Thanks for your input.
The rear diff collects dirt really quickly outdoors, I used to take it apart to clean it at least once a race day, find of annoying vs other cars. If you can't find a PRS adapter for the spur you may get stuck having trouble getting the gearing low enough for 17.5 NR, and the "big" lipo packs will not fit under the top deck, so in reality there are many other cars that can be had with less issues to deal with, like a xray T3, TC6, TCX, etc, all can be had for a decent price used.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #13060
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The JRXS-R has only one real problem in its chassis configuration, as nearly all touring car racing is now rubber-tire the prevailing opinion of designers is to longer A-arms, moving the mount point of the arm closer and closer to the center of the chassis. This (in theory) helps with the lower traction you get out of rubber tires, as when running softer springs the chassis can roll and dive more without changing the angle of the tire relative to the track. The stock springs on a Type-R are 30lb/inch in the front, 17 in the rear for foam tire racing. In running rubber tire, I run less than half of that to get dive and weight transfer.

Also, nobody makes gear diffs for the car, so its ball, spool, or nothin.

Aside from that, Shorty Lipo's are your friend, as they let you mount your receiver and ESC behind the battery, so its a straight in-line car.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #13061
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The JRXS-R has only one real problem in its chassis configuration, as nearly all touring car racing is now rubber-tire the prevailing opinion of designers is to longer A-arms, moving the mount point of the arm closer and closer to the center of the chassis. This (in theory) helps with the lower traction you get out of rubber tires, as when running softer springs the chassis can roll and dive more without changing the angle of the tire relative to the track. The stock springs on a Type-R are 30lb/inch in the front, 17 in the rear for foam tire racing. In running rubber tire, I run less than half of that to get dive and weight transfer.

Also, nobody makes gear diffs for the car, so its ball, spool, or nothin.

Aside from that, Shorty Lipo's are your friend, as they let you mount your receiver and ESC behind the battery, so its a straight in-line car.
I agree on the short arms, they are good outdoors, but its hard to tame the car on higher bite. I see people making 3 belt conversions and can't help think that maing a set of arms and mounts inboard of the bulkheads on a R would be a much better solution.. too bad losi gave up on it.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #13062
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I agree on the short arms, they are good outdoors, but its hard to tame the car on higher bite. I see people making 3 belt conversions and can't help think that maing a set of arms and mounts inboard of the bulkheads on a R would be a much better solution.. too bad losi gave up on it.
Another problem I had was that my Type-R always liked a really loose rear diff setting, and it was hard to see if under hard throttle the diff was slipping or the tires (running a 4.5 on a slippery carpet track with rubber tires was fun though) I wish I had at least three diffs for the car, that way I could have one ready to go if the current diff doesn't make me feel confident.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #13063
Tech Adept

To DesertRat,
Please post pics of your losi. I am very interested in the battery set up you are using. What mah? voltage?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #13064
Tech Elite

Sorry, I don't currently have a shorty LiPo setup on my car. The setup I want to run is one of the cleanest I ever saw where the shorty pack was backwards with the power poles toward the rear of the car, and in the tray behind it was an LRP Stock Spec ESC and a receiver in the tray next to the motor. I currently run a large Novak ESC and a first-generation none-too-small Spektrum receiver, so I cant replicate the feat.

My current battery is a ProTek 5600 30C that I bought years ago, it fits the car's battery tray and rear chassis assembly like it was made for it.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #13065
Tech Adept

Thanks for the information and honesty. I to use a GTB speedo and a novak FM reciever. My other losi will use the new electronics. So I may go with the 4000mah short pack with micro spectrum and tekin RS Pro. I will see if I can get it all on the tray.